Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Feingold Diet

yaeliq

Post Fri, Jan 27 2012, 12:00 pm
Any thoughts on the Feingold Diet? Is it even possible when keeping kosher/cholov yisroel?

Thanks.

chocolate chips

Post Fri, Jan 27 2012, 1:51 pm
Dunno but I do know that I am related to Feingold family. lol

imasinger

Post Sat, Jan 28 2012, 5:58 pm
I'm more aware of what gets avoided. Avoiding synthetic colors, synthetic flavors, and certain foods that have salicylates seems doable for anyone. We tried it briefly and didn't notice that it made a whit of difference, plus it cut out a bunch of nutritious foods (tomato, cantelope, strawberries) that my kids liked, so decided it wasn't for us. You can read more at feingold.org.

gila-rina

Post Sat, Jan 28 2012, 9:05 pm
You probably wouldn't be able to use most of the products on the list.

Soul on fire

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 1:19 pm
It is possible to do and keep kosher. It's an elimination diet, so basically you remove all the things that COULD trigger your child(ren) and then you can add things back in to see which things affect them. We do a modified feingold diet and just read a lot of labels. Feingold has lists of things that contain hidden ingredients so that is what we don't know. Like, potato chip bags could be sprayed with a preservative and then since it's part of the bag it isn't listed in the ingredients list. We never removed any of the healthy foods that contained salycilate but we removed all artificial ingredients, our biggest issues are artificial colors, but we also try to avoid artificial flavors and vanillin. Once you learn what some of these ingredients are made of it's much easier to remove them from your diet. I have some of the older Feingold books but they are the midwest version and won't have all the products info if you are from the east coast. IF you have any specific questions feel free to ask, I do have a bit of experience with it and will help you out if I can. Its not easy to do, mostly with shabbos parties and the amount of junk food passed around in the religious world but it is doable.
Haztlacha!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)