Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Sephardic bread

LO

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 9:57 am
Hi all,
My husband is asking me to make the sephardic whole wheat challah for Shabbos. He doesn't know what it's called, just that it's not the soft Ashkenazi type, more like a chewy flat one.
If anyone can post recipes with detailed directions, I would REALLY appreciate it!

September June

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 4:48 pm
AFAIK, challah is an Ashkenaz thing.
Traditionally, Sefaradim ate pita on Shabbat.
Do you want a pita recipe?

little_mage

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 6:42 pm
I remember reading that Sephardis only use flour, yeast, water, and salt in their bread-no eggs or sugar, anything like that. Try looking for a recipe that uses only those ingredients, perhaps-allrecipies.com has a function that lets you search by ingredients.

September June

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 6:45 pm
Little Mage, that's the ingredient list for pita. If OP would like a recipe for pita, I'll be happy to post one.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 10:14 pm
little_mage wrote:
I remember reading that Sephardis only use flour, yeast, water, and salt in their bread-no eggs or sugar, anything like that. Try looking for a recipe that uses only those ingredients, perhaps-allrecipies.com has a function that lets you search by ingredients.

You need some sugar, or the yeast will not work.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 10:31 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
little_mage wrote:

You need some sugar, or the yeast will not work.

Yes, you do need some yeast to help the yeast work properly.

I also add some oil to my bread.

My (Sephardic) family's bread is more like Italian bread than pita.

Smiling Wife

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 2:43 am
http://www.recipebridge.com/g/.....ecipe I think it is a muslim website but I am pretty sure this is the recipe your husband is talking about. Growing up my mom made it with black sesame seeds on top and shumar ( anise seeds) inside and outside.

LO

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 8:43 am
Smiling wife, thanks for posting that recipe....It definitely wasn't with white flour....It was more like a pita, but without a hole inside, crusty on the outside and soft on the inside...I know, it's not much to go on, but I would really appreciate it if anyone has any ideas....

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 8:45 am
maybe more like a laffa recipe? I used to eat at an isreali family who had laffa type bread every shabbos.

LO

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 8:50 am
Yeah, like a thick laffa with spices on top, but whole wheat.

shlomitsmum

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 9:44 am
OMG look what popped up during my search for sephardi bread! shock shock Rolling Eyes
what on earth is this???

Simple1

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 10:38 am
Smiling Wife wrote:
http://www.recipebridge.com/g/74/922958/arabic-bread-loaf-or-hamburger-buns-recipe I think it is a muslim website but I am pretty sure this is the recipe your husband is talking about. Growing up my mom made it with black sesame seeds on top and shumar ( anise seeds) inside and outside.

Too many eggs in the recipe. Sefardim use water Challah (or pita) because because eggs might make it questionable mezonos bread.

Shlomit's Mom - what an interesting find! It's actually not so easy to follow because you can't read the lips and expression.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:40 pm
My kehila is almost entirely Mizrachim and Sefardim and challot are definitely made with eggs!

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:45 pm
LO wrote:
Yeah, like a thick laffa with spices on top, but whole wheat.

you could attempt something like this by making a wholewheat pizza dough, rolling it out and putting spices on top.

It might not be exactly the same but should be good. Not sure how they get the crusty crust though? maybe brush with water before baking?

Faigy86

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:46 pm
There are a few opinions even among sephardic poskim. Some rule that if the bread contains a significant amount of eggs or similar ing. it is questionable if it is actually hamotzi, others say that while to eat that sort of bread as a snack, would be mezonot, if you are being kovea seuda, you would say hamotzi regardless of how sweet and rich it is.

little_mage

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 2:43 pm
September June wrote:
Little Mage, that's the ingredient list for pita. If OP would like a recipe for pita, I'll be happy to post one.

We make French bread that way. If you give the yeast enough time to work, it doesn't need extra sugar-it can just use the stuff in the flour. We make french bread and let the dough rise in the fridge overnight. (We got the recipe from Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice). It takes a little more planning ahead, but it comes out quite nicely.

bakingmama

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 3:08 pm
shlomitsmum wrote:
OMG look what popped up during my search for sephardi bread! shock shock Rolling Eyes
what on earth is this???

OMG How weird! I'm trying to figure her out-is she Yeminite maybe Confused

yo'ma

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 6:20 pm
bakingmama wrote:
shlomitsmum wrote:
what on earth is this???

OMG How weird! I'm trying to figure her out-is she Yeminite maybe Confused

If you click on the link and then click on her name, you'll see it says on her profile

Quote:
I am of mixed Sephardic Jewish ancestry from North Africa (Morocco, Tunisia, Libya) as well as Southern Arabian descent (Yemen), but first and foremost I am a Daughter of El Shaddai, and follower of "The Way". I am here to share a bit of my walk and what I AM called to do by HIS voice.

September June

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 6:43 pm
Whole Wheat Pita

3 c. whole wheat flour
3 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
21/2-3 c. warm water
1 tsp. dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar

1. Mix flours and salt together in a bowl.
2. In a second bowl, combine warm water, yeast and sugar.
3. Make a well in the flour mixture and slowly add yeast mixture, incorporating all the flour.
Dough should be soft and a little sticky.
4. Cover dough with plastic wrap and towel. Let it rise for 1-2 hours.
5. On a floured surface, separate dough into 18 small pitas (fist sized).
Work with half the dough first and then the other half.
6. Prepare 4 trays with parchment paper.
7. Place a small amount of flour on a surface (be careful not to put too much- it will dry out the dough).
8. Roll out small pitas onto floured surface. Place on prepared tray.
9. Cover trays with towel and let it rise for 1-2 hours.
10. Preheat oven to 525.
11. Place one tray at a time in oven for 4-5 minutes. Pitas should puff up.
12. Cool completely before bagging. May be frozen until ready to eat.

Zaatar bread:
After rolling out dough, brush with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sprinkle with Zaatar spice.
Continue with step 9.

turca

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 7:00 pm
I'd add the zatar with olive oil after the pita is ready, on top and let it sit in the oven for a few min....its delicious!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics