Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Just realized I'm poor.
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 4:32 pm
Go down to the medicaid office and apply for emergency funds. This is not a loan it's money they will give you. Not sure how much just go down and apply. As far as rent their is section 8 not sure how anyone gets it anymore. You can call your local congress person and see if they have any other ideas for you. As far as the school is conserned ignore the phone calls and call anybody on the board and ask for a private meeting explain your situation and tell them that right now you just can't pay maybe offer to volunteer in the school instead or something else to help the school have your kids sell raffle tickets or something. An easier way to make money is ebay - just find stuff around you don't use anymore and sell it - it's not that hard.

NaturalMom

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:
OP here- What kind of help is available to me? right now we have medicaid and foodstamps which helps tremendously. I have 2 school aged children and the others r still at home. I have gotten a discount on tuition but it's still a pretty penny. Just wondering what everyone is talking about when they say to ask for help. Who do I ask? I don't want to take loans, owing money would only make the situation that much more stressful.

Try to get a bigger discount on tuition. Call Tomchei Shabbos. I wish I knew of organizations that provide rental assistance. When you applied for food stamps, did you apply for cash assistance as well? Apply with the same office.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 9:21 pm
I don't mean this in a hurtful way, but a location like Brooklyn is probably on the higher end expense-wise. We live out of town, and there are a number of families who moved here from Brooklyn because they just weren't making it financially. If your family is growing and your income is not going to increase appropriately, what will you do? You say you have jobs so you don't want to leave, but maybe you could get better jobs some place else and not find yourself in a bottomless hole. (Broken down- rent in Brooklyn = $1200+, rent out of town = $700 for a 2 br, 2 br apartment) I know it sounds far out, but we'd love to have you join us! Very Happy

amother

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 9:56 pm
amother wrote:
I don't mean this in a hurtful way, but a location like Brooklyn is probably on the higher end expense-wise. We live out of town, and there are a number of families who moved here from Brooklyn because they just weren't making it financially. If your family is growing and your income is not going to increase appropriately, what will you do? You say you have jobs so you don't want to leave, but maybe you could get better jobs some place else and not find yourself in a bottomless hole. (Broken down- rent in Brooklyn = $1200+, rent out of town = $700 for a 2 br, 2 br apartment) I know it sounds far out, but we'd love to have you join us! Very Happy

I don't think my husband would have work there but just for curiosity sake where do u live?

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 12:43 am
we're in cleveland. we're in a huge house for under $1300 a month. I'm not the other poster, but I agree that living outside NY is the way to go--- however, not for you right now--- if you're 3 months behind on rent you don't have money to move. Moving costs thousands (we moved from LA to Cleveland). Stay where you are, but both of you need full time positions with higher incomes and job searching should be priority over finding trinkets to sel on ebay in my opinion. Glad the school was able to give you a tuition break but hopefully you can get off scholarship soon!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 5:28 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

I don't think my husband would have work there but just for curiosity sake where do u live?

in Detroit
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics