Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Good Bye---- DUNCAN HINES
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 1:08 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
We found yellow, devils food, and maybe a few other flavors. Also brownies - did their brownies also go completely dairy?

Many of their brownies stayed pareve the whole time.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 1:16 pm
That's what I thought. . . I told my brother that he didn't need to buy tons of brownie mixes b/c I didn't think that they'd ever gone dairy, but he didn't believe me. Oh well, at least they were on sale.

shlishka

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 2:54 pm
Duncan Hines Reverts Back to Pareve

Cherry Hill, NJ...More than a year after it added dairy ingredients to its OU certified line of cake mixes, Pinnacle Foods is moving back to Pareve. Although KosherToday was not able to verify the report, a source told KosherToday that the move had already been made and that an announcement by the company is imminent. KosherToday will, of course, update the story in a future edition. Pinnacle Foods' decision last year to go dairy caused an outcry from many kosher consumers who used the cake mixes for dairy, meat, and pareve meals. It was also criticized by many of the 56 million Americans who are lactose intolerant. A similar decision by Stella Dora of Nabisco several years ago was greeted by a large outcry by consumers, which caused the company to reverse the decision. Duncan Hines was owned by Procter and Gamble for many years but when it experienced difficulty was sold to Pinnacle Foods, based in Cherry Hill, NJ, which also acquired such well-known kosher brands as Lender's Bagels.

YAY!! Very Happy

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 10:20 pm
I got the classic yellow & lemon cakes parve. But some stores only still have dairy, so check before you buy!
for the person who asked for their phone #, it's 800-362-9834

queen

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 1:23 pm
THis is wonderful!!!!
so glad they are going back to parev!

shlishka

Post Wed, Oct 25 2006, 4:41 pm
Well, looks like we did it! This came today & makes it official. Very Happy

su7kids

Post Wed, Oct 25 2006, 4:45 pm
busymom, what came?

Basya

Post Wed, Oct 25 2006, 4:48 pm

Director of Public Relations
212.613.8318; steiners@ou.org For immediate release

DUNCAN HINES® TO OFFER OU CERTIFIED PAREVE CAKES AGAIN

There is good news for kosher consumers who want their Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Cake Mixes, certified kosher by the Orthodox Union, to have pareve and non-dairy status. The company has reversed a decision made in 2005 to switch the product to dairy, therefore rendering it unusable for cakes that are served with meat meals at the Sabbath table. The product line includes Moist Deluxe Classic Yellow, the best selling cake mix in the country, and other consumer favorites such as Devil’s Food, Lemon Supreme and Butter Recipe Golden.

Pareve production began in September and Duncan Hines has begun shipping product to stores. It should be in most locations by November and December, the company says.

Pareve products are neither meat nor dairy and can be served with both meals. They are identified by or Pareve on the label.

“We are very excited to again offer Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Cake Mixes as non-dairy pareve products,” declared Chief Executive Officer Jeff Ansell. “We are now able to ensure that our production facilities can produce dairy-free product with certainty. This is based on moving our dairy-based cakes to another production facility. We made this shift in production because we wanted to once again offer our long-time and valued pareve consumers non-dairy cake mixes.”

“It was a difficult decision last year to change away from pareve. We heard both from consumers and trade customers and that is why we worked hard to make the move back to pareve,” said Ansell.

Duncan Hines offers a wide variety of the pareve cake mixes, more than any other brand. Twelve of 18 Moist Deluxe flavors, representing more than 80 percent of sales, are being returned to pareve. These include, besides those noted above, Swiss Chocolate, Spice, Fudge Marble, Pineapple Supreme, Butter Recipe Fudge, German Chocolate, Red Velvet and Dark Chocolate Fudge.

“Successful companies make smart decisions, even if it means reversing a previous decision,” declared Rabbi Menachem Genack, CEO of OU Kosher. “Duncan Hines’switch of its Moist Deluxe Cake Mixes to dairy obviously disappointed part of its consumer base. The marketplace speaks. I commend the company for reversing its decision and restoring the mixes to OU pareve status, which means they are now restored to the Sabbath meat table.”

Rabbi Genack emphasized that there are distinct advantages to pareve products. “Besides the flexibility they give the consumer, being appropriate for both meat and dairy meals, they are also available to lactose intolerant individuals who cannot use dairy products. OU Kosher, in fact, emphasizes to its companies and prospective companies the advantages of pareve. The results, in many cases, can be found on the bottom line.”

Press inquires should contact Joel White at Pinnacle Foods, 973-541-6683 or at whitejs@pinnaclefoodscorp.com.

The Orthodox Union, now in its second century of service to the Jewish community of North America and beyond, is a world leader in community and synagogue services, adult education, youth work through NCSY, political action through the IPA, and advocacy for persons with disabilities through Yachad and Our Way. Its kosher supervision label, the , is the world’s most recognized kosher symbol and can be found on over 400,000 products manufactured in 80 countries around the globe.

www.ou.org

Basya

Post Wed, Oct 25 2006, 4:49 pm
the previous message came from the OU.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Oct 25 2006, 5:23 pm
I found Parve DH cake mixes at WalMArt today...for an amazing price as well (this is in NJ). Many were still OU-d, and even in the same flavor some were parve and some were dairy, but I got yellow cake and devils food, and there was also parve butter recipe golden on the shelves.!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Oct 25 2006, 9:48 pm
I saw that butter recipe one....do you use margarine instead?? or make it dairy?

shlishka

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 2:04 am
oops. I thought I posted what Basya did. Got it as an email. Guess it didn't work. embarrassed

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 1:32 pm
I usually use margarine or oil bc I generally have little use for a dairy cake, but if you wanted a dairy cake, then use real butter. The mix doesn't have any butter in it, it calls for it in recipe.

I've made it parve and it's oh so very yummy.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen