Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Royal Icing Cookies' help needed

newmother

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 9:32 am
I want to make cookies with royal icing for shalach manos but I have never made them before and I have a ton of questions.
1. does anyone have a good recipe for the cookies?
2. Does anyone have a step by step tutorial of how to do it or tips that you found helpful
3. Can I freeze the cookies once they are iced?
thanks!

6coop

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 10:47 am
A few things about royal icing:

It doesn't taste very good. It's basically pure sugar and it's very very sweet. It also dries completely hard, so any cookie you put it on will seem hard to bite. I make mine on my regular sugar cookie recipe. It's usually better to ice the bottom side of the cookie since that side is flatter than the top and it's always best to work on a completely flat surface.

Royal icing also dries very quickly so any time you are not using the icing, it should be kept completely covered. Also avoid getting any grease onto the icing, that includes using plastic bowls and equipment since grease will often remain on it no matter how much you clean it.

What kind of design are you making? In order to do background colors on a cookie, you will have to "flood" the cookie, which is basically using thinned royal icing and spreading it on a cookie. For more detailed work, you have to "pipe" it on.

Royal icing does not need to be frozen (or refrigerated) and if you do, it's possible that the colors will bleed when you defrost it. It's usually fine if you do though, but just seal them up really well before they go in the freezer and when you take them out allow them to defrost in the container. (If you take them out of the container when they defrost, they might get condensation on them which can then add to the possibility of the colors running, or leave condensation marks on the cookies.)

Just to add: If you are not doing a very detailed design, I have a different icing recipe that dries completely so that you can wrap it, but it's not rock hard and tastes delicious. I've used it to make cookies with smiley faces and rainbows etc. and it is really really tasty. You can't use it if you are doing a lot of detail though.

Zahava

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 11:12 am
Can I have the icing recipe you're referring to, 6coop?

Thanks.

crl

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 11:23 am
I find this website very helpful for information and inspiration.
http://cookiesandcups.com/

Look under "The Basics" and she has an article on icing and frosting as well as basic sugar cookie recipe.

6coop

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 12:06 pm
Zahava wrote:
Can I have the icing recipe you're referring to, 6coop?

Thanks.

I got the original recipe here:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/s.....cing/

I use water or soy milk (or even once coffee rich) instead of the milk and it comes out just fine. I also always use vanilla instead of almond flavoring (personal preference) and it's very good.

You can adjust this to different consistencies depending on what you want to do with it, and I've found it easier to design with it when it's thicker, but it's still not good for small details.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 12:16 pm
I just used royal icing for the first time recently, and I spent about an hour watching different youtube videos for ideas. I ended up flooding a round sugar cookie with white royal icing, and then making thicker colored icing, and spreading it over a stencil I made. They came out great, and they all got eaten up very quickly! Most by kids, I would guess!

I found that they defrosted 100% perfectly, and they're good for MM as the icing is hard and can withstand the bumps of being wrapped and shlepped around.

newmother

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 1:04 pm
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate all the advice! One last question- does anyone have a good sugar cookie recipe?

lollygirl

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 2:11 pm
Ella’s White Sugar Cookies
Ingredients:
1 cup margarine
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 ½ t. almond extract
1 t. vanilla
1 t. salt
2 ½ c. sifted flour

Directions:
Cream margarine. Add powdered sugar. Blend in egg, almond extract, vanilla, salt and flour. Chill dough until firm. Roll to ¼” thickness on well-floured surface. Cut with cookie cutters. Place on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 min. Cookies should not brown. Frost and decorate when cool. Yields ~40 cookies.

I agree with the previous posters - if it's your first time, watch lots of youtube videos! It helped me learn how to outline the cookie and then flood the center. Good luck, it requires patience!

Pashence

Post Mon, Mar 05 2012, 7:00 pm
6coop ur recipe sounds good- any idea what can be used instead of corn syrup, which is hard to find in israel?

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 9:18 am
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
I just used royal icing for the first time recently, and I spent about an hour watching different youtube videos for ideas. I ended up flooding a round sugar cookie with white royal icing, and then making thicker colored icing, and spreading it over a stencil I made. They came out great, and they all got eaten up very quickly! Most by kids, I would guess!

I found that they defrosted 100% perfectly, and they're good for MM as the icing is hard and can withstand the bumps of being wrapped and shlepped around.

Would you mind sharing your icing recipe? Or anyone that has an icing recipe, could you please post? Also, how to thicken or thin for outline vs the rest of the cookie?
Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics