Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Freezing Savory Hamantashen from Fresh& Easy

Bleemee

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 2:07 pm
Leah Schapira has a great recipe for savory hamantashen-- a chicken mixture fried in malawach dough, with an apricot dipping sauce. Really delicious!!

Have you ever made it?

If I want to prepare it in advance, at what stage would it be best to freeze?

willow

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 12:22 pm
recipe please?

Mrs. Mommy

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 9:20 pm
I made them as regular "knishes" one night for supper instead of as hamantaschen. They were really delicious! I froze a whole batch of them once they were totally cooked. I defrosted them and then put it in the oven to heat up. It worked out perfectly.

Bleemee

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 7:24 pm
Fresh & Easy, Savory Hamantashen and Apricot Dipping Sauce

Combine:
    2 T honey
    3 cloves garlic
    1 full Tsalt
    2 T soy sauce
    T 2 apple juice

Marinate 2 cubed chicken cutlets in mixture

Add 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced

Remove 4 (10" inch circles) frozen malawach dough from freezer to start defrosting

When dough is slightly defrosted cut out 2 and a quarter inch circles. Defrost circles for an additional 5 minutes. Using rolling pin or pressing down with your hands, roll dough circles slightly until they are 3.5 inches wide.

Place heaping teaspoon of chicken mixture into center of each circle. Pinch edges together to form hamantashen.

Heat think layer or oil in skillet/frying pan. Add hamantashen to pan, filled side down. Fry over medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through or until golden (the heat needs to be low enough so the chicken is cooked before dough browns).

To prepare dipping, add
    1 c apricot jam
    2 T mustard
    2 T soy sauce
    1 T honey

to bowl and stir to combine thoroughly.

Serve hamantashen warm with dipping sauce.

Bleemee

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 7:57 pm
    Mrs. Mommy wrote:
    I made them as regular "knishes" one night for supper instead of as hamantaschen. They were really delicious! I froze a whole batch of them once they were totally cooked. I defrosted them and then put it in the oven to heat up. It worked out perfectly.
    How did you make them as knishes, just put the mixture into the dough differently? And when you say "once they are cooked" do you mean once they are fried and all done? How did you freeze them? On a tray?

Lucky me

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 10:24 pm
    I like to freeze it raw defrost in the fridge overnight & then bake it fresh.

Merrymom

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 10:30 pm
    If you're going to fry it at a low temperature then you're going to absorb a ton of oil and malawach already is very fattening. I would cook the filling mixture separately and then fill them and fry it very quickly.

Bleemee

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 10:30 pm
    Merrymom wrote:
    If you're going to fry it at a low temperature then you're going to absorb a ton of oil and malawach already is very fattening. I would cook the filling mixture separately and then fill them and fry it very quickly.
    Good point! Thumbs Up
    Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics