Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Making hamentashen
1  2  3  Next

how do you get your hamentashen?
I make them from scratch  
 64%  [ 20 ]
I buy from a bakery  
 16%  [ 5 ]
someone else makes them for me  
 3%  [ 1 ]
I dont get any, I eat whatever I get from other shaloch manos  
 12%  [ 4 ]
other, please specify  
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 31

Yael

Post Wed, Mar 02 2005, 10:56 pm
how many of you actually make your own hamentashen?

Tefila

Post Wed, Mar 02 2005, 10:59 pm
Well if you count me, I'm 1 Very Happy

sarahd

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 3:14 am
I have been sending them as part of mishloach manos, and since I believe in sending my own home-made stuff (see other thread) I make them myself; also, I think mine are much better than bakery ones. BTW, I have been making miniature hamentashen - I cut them out with a schnapps cup - and people like them a lot: you can pop the whole thing in your mouth at once. This year, though, I'm not going to make any because I'm sending salads, not baked stuff. Also, when I was in NY last time, which was in October, I couldn't find poppy or prune filling (I am a traditionalist when it comes to fillings), so I have nothing to fill the hamentaschen with.

Tovah

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 8:41 am
I made them the first yr and swore never again they fell apart and it took forever what a disappointment. besides the fact that I was majorly behind schedule.

gryp

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 9:54 am
sarahd- that is such a cute idea. in our house we love anything that you can pop in your mouth all at once- we call them poppers. Smile I would love to do that, can you post your recipe please please??? I really get annoyed at bad hamantashen recipes because I feel like I wasted my time if they open up in the oven and look bad. I also wonder what I can fill them with or if I can glaze them like I do big hamantashen....

Pearl

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 9:55 am
my husband makes them, but that shouldn't be a surprise anymore... Wink

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 11:36 am
LOL, Penina.

If I do make them, we do it with the kids, who simply love the experience.

Once I made a double batch & didn't have time to finish, but my neighbour's kids begged to join us, so it was great - they finished the job!!

This year I don't know if the baby will let me bake them, though....

And ye, they never make it into mishloah manot - they are eaten with the speed of light!!!

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 12:02 pm
sarahd - what do people where you live fill hamantaschen with?

I usually eat the dough and leave over the filling anyway ...

does anybody feel that it's important to include hamantaschen in the mishloach manos because it's traditional?

Laffy Taffy and Glick are hip, but what about tradition?

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 12:15 pm
there are no hilchos of yo must put this into misloah manos!

the other stuff is plain junk!

If yo ask me, I'll take wine, home baked stuff &good chokolates!

(take a note, if you're planning to send anything to me this year! lol Wink )

gryp

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 12:39 pm
Quote:
there are no hilchos of yo must put this into misloah manos

besides the halacha of 2 brachos of course. ive gotten shalach manos with only one bracha in it! I figured those people already did the mitzvah and were just giving us a nice present.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 1:15 pm
I think it's 2 things, not brachos

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 1:23 pm
ForeverYoung wrote:
there are no hilchos of yo must put this into misloah manos!

which is why I wrote "traditional"

re two things/two brachos - wherever I've checked, it says two food items, but we too are particular about giving items with different brachos

and remember, the food must be ready to eat, not something that needs to be cooked

gryp

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 1:34 pm
funny, since I was young our teachers drilled into our heads "2 brachos to at least 1 person."

but from the words of the kitzur shulchan aruch itself (found on page "Sameach!" (happy)):

"Every person is obligated to give to at least one person 2 types of foods. "
"The more you give to friends, the more praiseworthy it is."
"Nevertheless it is better to increase in Matanos Lievyonim than to increase in the Seudah and Mishloach Manos to friends, because there is no greater Simcha to Hashem than making happy the hearts of the poor, the widows, and the orphans."

(paraphrased)Women are also obligated to give Matanos Lievyonim. If there is no poor in the city you live in you can put it aside until you come across a poor person or you can send it to them.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 2:47 pm
Quote:
funny, since I was young our teachers drilled into our heads "2 brachos to at least 1 person."

a common misconseption!! Wink

gryp

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 5:22 pm
its not exactly a misconception. its more like a minhag. I just have to find out where it says this and when it started and why.

Pearl

Post Fri, Mar 04 2005, 3:19 am
[quote="Motek"]does anybody feel that it's important to include hamantaschen in the mishloach manos because it's traditional?[/quote]

yes, I think that's what the mishloah is all about - we only eat hamanstaschen at purim. all the other junk we put in, we eat all year round.

Tefila

Post Fri, Mar 04 2005, 8:12 am
Quote:
does anybody feel that it's important to include hamantaschen in the mishloach manos because it's traditional?[/

Motek 101% agree w/h u there Very Happy

supermom

Post Sun, Mar 06 2005, 9:30 pm
you guys are making me in the mood to make my own hamantashins this year even though one year it came out a flop!!! does anyone have any good recipes to make them?

imaamy

Post Sun, Mar 06 2005, 10:51 pm
For some people I would like to order shaloch manot because of the shipping--I like to make hamentaschen but am afraid they will break or be stale by the US Post. I've found some websites that have nice little baskets but would rather benefit a good cause than a company. Does anyone have any ideas of reputable organizations that will ship in the US?

lucy

Post Sun, Mar 06 2005, 11:30 pm
I usually bake them myself.
One time I was @ my inlaws house for Purim & my FIL was looking at the Shalaoch monises he said doesn't anybody ever send hamentashin anymore! not one of them had (they get tons)!
So it makes me send every year even if it doesn't go with the theme. Maybe I forgot once though.....noones perfecT!!!!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics