Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Gaining weight even though dieting - please help me!!

amother

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 3:05 am
I am ashamed to admit that I have been taking diet pills to help me lose/maintain my weight for the last few years. Even though I know they are bad for me and after a while they don't even work anymore, I just could not get off of them. A few weeks ago I had some emergency surgery for a twisted ovary, which forced me to be in the hospital for a couple of days, and I was unable to get at my stash of pills. I was happy that finally I would be forced to stop taking them, and maybe I could continue being pill free. Well, that it exactly what happened and I was feeling so much better off of them, but there is one HUGE problem. I have gained about 10 pounds since then!! I have been following a very strict diet, and was so encourged by my determination to eat healthy and not have to resort to the pills. I needed to lose about 10 pounds even before the surgery!
I know that this is rebound weight gain, cz my body is used to these pills, but what am I to do now?
If I gain weight when I am dieting, is there any hope for me? please don't bash me that being addicted to diet pills are very bad for me - I know that already- but I don't know what to do anymore!! Help

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 3:15 am
Exercise. Changing your eating habits is great, but you also have to MOVE MOVE MOVE Smile
(I know this from experience)

grace413

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 3:20 am
Hug Hug

There is always hope. Refuah Shlaimah.

You have to find a system that will work for you. Here's some suggestions.

1. See a nutritionist. Or start out by doing what they'll tell you which is write down everything you eat and how you were feeling when you ate it (really hungry, bored, upset).

2. Exercise. Even a few minutes if that's all you can do.

3. Find a diet that you think you can live with long term. Low fat or low carb or X calories a day or whatever.

4. Maybe have a blood test to see that everything is in order.

Hatzlacha.

StrongIma

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 4:26 am
try sparkspeople - this site helps you track everything you're eating to see where your calories as well as nutrients come from, the correct proportions to eat, and even includes meal suggestions

SS6099

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 10:46 am
Exercise could really help.
And, as mentioned, a nutritionist. Your metabolism needs to learn to readjust to normal level and hopefully an nutritionist could teach you properly.
So glad you're off the pills.....
Also, sometimes, eating too little could slow your metabolism even more. Are you eating enough?

suzyq

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 10:57 am
I think you should give yourself some time to equalize after being off the diet pills. I am sure it is VERY discouraging to gain weight even while sticking to a strict diet, but give yourself at least a month or two for your body to get used to not being on the pills before even worrying too much about your weight, especially since you are recovering from surgery. And I agree with everyone else - try to get some exercise in! It's good for you on a ton of levels! Good luck!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 11:02 am
Please get a full thyroid panel.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 5:18 pm
you should try weight watchers. your insurance may pay for it.

black sheep

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 6:11 pm
refuah sheleima, and on the other hand I'm happy to hear you are off the diet pills.

if you feel like you need to lose ten pounds, that really isn't a lot. you probably need to shift your focus from dieting to healthy eating and exercising. a nutritionist is your best bet, even if you can only afford one session to give you guidance on how to lose weight in a healthy way. and as shabbatiscoming said, move your body! working out is the only way I ever lose weight.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 6:42 pm
Thank u all for all your support. I rejoined Curves - was a member in the past and really liked it. They also have a diet to go on with a lot of support.
Will keep u posted,
Anyone done this?

torquoise

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 10:13 pm
Curves sounds the best thing for you to do right now. Good for you!! I hope you enjoy going, and you find that the exercise helps you feel fitter, thinner and more energized. Remember that even if you don't make it to the gym, you can walk to the grocery and back, mop/vacuum, and it's still exercise.

I clicked on this topic because your heading sounded JUST LIKE ME!! I can diet my brains out, but nothing will happen unless I exercise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise