Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
My husband is vegan!

Yael3

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 6:23 pm
I am looking for a variety of ideas for Shabbos/Yom Tov vegan dishes. I have one great cookbook, The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen, but I want other options.

spinkles

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 6:36 pm
guacamole
ratatouille
roasted root veggies (sweet potatoes, turnips, potatoes, etc. cut into chunks, toss with a little oil and salt, and bake at 375 till delicious, stirring occasionally)
butternut squash stuffed with a walnut-onion-sauteed veg mixture)
mashed potatoes
tossed salad
mushroom-onion-nut fake chopped liver

londoner

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 6:41 pm
vegetable tagine,

fry crushed garlic and chopped root ginger
add ground coriander, cumin, mixed spice, paprika and a little chilli
add carrots, potatos, courgette and whatever other vegetables you fancy/have in your fridge plus a tin of chickpeas (your protein!)
fry these in the spices then add tomato passata
add some fresh coriander
cook until vegetables are soft and serve with cous cous or rice to make the chickpeas higher protein.

This has become my latest new baby dish for those who are bored with chicken and rice/shepherd's pie.

spinkles

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 6:44 pm
sauteed onions, zukes, red peppers, and tomatoes
stuffed cabbage stuffed with sauteed mushrooms, nuts, onions, herbs
all sorts of eggplant dips
compote, applesauce, etc.
fruit smoothies (freeze for ices)

spinkles

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 6:52 pm
Oh sorry--I just assumed you were asking specifically for Pesach ideas. For year-round, there are so many options. What I like best is:

--a good pilaf (brown rice or quinoa) with tons of sauteed veggies and spices
--lentil salad (lentils, sundried tomatoes, oil, garlic, salt, spices) or a similar chickpea salad
--several chilled vegetable salads

Filling, and full of protein and vitamins.

You could also make a lot of curries for Friday night. Ones with coconut milk are rich and yummy.

sarachana

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 8:15 pm
Moosewood makes amazing and delicious cookbooks...no the food is good not the book Wink

Yael3

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 8:34 pm
These are amazing, THANKS!!!! What is the recipe for the mushroom-onion-nut fake chopped liver please?

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 12:49 am
For Pesach:
- roasted portabello mushroom (splash olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt & cracked pepper, I may add ground nuts/sauteed veggie topping to give extra protein/texture)
- stuffed red peppers or courgettes (if your DH eats gebrokt. sautee chopped onions/carrots/celery, mix with broken up matza pieces. you can use the same to stuff chicken).

I find it quite challeneing to give enough protein during pesach.

Rest of the year
- vegetarian cholent (I put TVP-based veggie burgers on top before covering the pot for Shabbat).
- stuffed vegetables/cabbage (either rice or combination of rice-Quorn/TVP mince)
- stir-fried vegetables with tofu (add noodles for lomein)
- vegetable curry (cauliflower, carrots, peas, chopped spinach, lentil, chickpeas)
- onion pakora (you'll need gram flour, made from ground chickpeas. Nice alternatives to latkes too)
- vegetarian cottage/shephard pie (sauteed chopped veggies/mushrooms/quorn TVP mince, topped with mashed potato)
- filled crepe (creamy spinach or mushroom sauce filling. Best in milky, though can be made parve)

londoner

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 5:45 am
Forgot to add, you can make meatballs in the oven and add to non veggie portions and then it's a yontif meal for everyone. No need to make lots of different dishes.

spinkles

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 9:53 am
Quote:
What is the recipe for the mushroom-onion-nut fake chopped liver please?

Chop two big onions. Saute in oil until golden brown and delicious. Remove from pan. Saute 16 oz. sliced mushrooms (two boxes) until soft and juicy. Puree (in food processor) onions, mushrooms, nuts (pecans are better, but walnuts are cheaper), and salt to taste. May need a little extra oil. Let flavors blend overnight. You can also add sauteed eggplant to this. P.S. I'm not sure of the quantity of nuts, I get a bulk bag and just pour until it looks right. Maybe a cup? I'd start with 2/3 a cup and add more as needed.

Also, there are some interesting ideas on this site: http://www.jewishveg.com/recipes.html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking