Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Ketchup?
1  2  Next

blondebubby

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 10:06 am
what's the best ketchup you have tried for Pesach?

xoxo1

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 10:09 am
gefen but every year its prob diffrent cuz its a new shippment hopefully.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 10:10 am
eclectic wrote:

My notes say to only buy Gefen for eating purposes. It tastes the best by far. For cooking it doesn't matter much.

maze

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 1:44 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
eclectic wrote:

My notes say to only buy Gefen for eating purposes. It tastes the best by far. For cooking it doesn't matter much.

That's a good idea- I should start writing down what we like. OOT- any other tips on best pesach products?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 1:47 pm
maze wrote:
That's a good idea- I should start writing down what we like. OOT- any other tips on best pesach products?

I keep extensive notes on everything from year to year. What do you want to know about? I think that for the majority of items, quality is pretty equal and I buy based on a combination of price and preferred hechsher.

Della

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 3:48 pm
Do you have a preference on mayonaisse and lemon juice brands? TIA

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 4:43 pm
Monsey Mom wrote:
Do you have a preference on mayonaisse and lemon juice brands? TIA

Slight preference for Mishpacha mayo (I use the lite) but none on lemon juice.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 5:15 pm
ReaLemon lemon juice surpasses the heimish brands by far.
I started using it last year when I realized that it's listed in Rabbi Blumenkrantz's book.
I was so fed up with the heimish ones, I had bought a press already to make my own.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 5:54 pm
Everyone here prefers Mishpacha, Gefen was gross.

Della

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 6:03 pm
ra_mom wrote:
ReaLemon lemon juice surpasses the heimish brands by far.
I started using it last year when I realized that it's listed in Rabbi Blumenkrantz's book.
I was so fed up with the heimish ones, I had bought a press already to make my own.

You made my day!!

I just checked the OU website, and it's listed as Kosher for Passover without requiring a symbol.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 6:38 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
Everyone here prefers Mishpacha, Gefen was gross.

Are you referring to the ketchup? If so, I'm glad to know that since Mishpacha is on sale here this year and Gefen is not (it is almost twice the price) so I may switch.

Annie

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 11:17 pm
Is there a toothpaste that isn't totally disgusting? It used to be that either crest or colgate were okay, but as of last year, you have to use a heimish brand. Any suggestions?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 11:27 pm
Annie wrote:
Is there a toothpaste that isn't totally disgusting? It used to be that either crest or colgate were okay, but as of last year, you have to use a heimish brand. Any suggestions?
Are you sure about Colgate? Crest was never all ok, just certain ones, but all Colgate were always ok.

I need to check the book!

Annie

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 2:37 am
I will look again in the pesach guide which I just got, but I remember in years past there'd always been a list and then last year it seemed every list just said "needs proper pesach certification." I believe I even called the CRC last year and they said it had to have actual hashgacha.

It used to be easier to get the cosmetic/toiletry list and that used to have toothpaste as well, but now it seems it's almost impossible to find one.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 9:01 am
Annie wrote:
I will look again in the pesach guide which I just got, but I remember in years past there'd always been a list and then last year it seemed every list just said "needs proper pesach certification." I believe I even called the CRC last year and they said it had to have actual hashgacha.

It used to be easier to get the cosmetic/toiletry list and that used to have toothpaste as well, but now it seems it's almost impossible to find one.

The cRc indeed says "only recommended with a reliable Passover hashgacha". There are other guides such as the Star-K guide which incorporates a list from Rabbi Gershon Bess and the Rabbi Blumenkrantz book, both of which can be purchased and list brand names.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 10:07 am
OOTBubby

Quote:

Are you referring to the ketchup? If so, I'm glad to know that since Mishpacha is on sale here this year and Gefen is not (it is almost twice the price) so I may switch.

Yes, I was reffering to ketchup brands. I bought gefen last year, because they did not have mishpacha where I shopped, It was nasty. I ended up buying mishpacha during chol hamoed. My father the ketchup maven won't touch gefen.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 16 2012, 3:30 pm
OOTBubby, which brand of cocoa do you use?
We usually use Shufra. Last year we did Hadar and I think it was good.
It's on sale again this year (less than half the price of Shufra) and I'm trying to decide if I should buy it.
If my cakes will taste that much better which Shufra, I'm willing to spend.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 16 2012, 4:35 pm
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby, which brand of cocoa do you use?
We usually use Shufra. Last year we did Hadar and I think it was good.
It's on sale again this year (less than half the price of Shufra) and I'm trying to decide if I should buy it.
If my cakes will taste that much better which Shufra, I'm willing to spend.

I don't have it in my notes and don't remember for sure, but I think the Gefen was much darker which I assume is better. That said I usually buy what is cheapest (here it is Liebers this year) as I don't think it makes much difference for what I use it for (mainly brownies). There was some kind of kashrus warning I think last year with Shufra (they said in the end it was okay, but there was some issue of whether it was really produced under proper hashgocha or not).

Pineapple

Post Fri, Mar 16 2012, 4:43 pm
The shufra issue was the "heimishe" hecsher

The ok said it was fine

KollelMommy

Post Fri, Mar 23 2012, 12:13 am
The Denver Vaad (Scroll K) says Hershey's cocoa is ok for Pesach w/o a special hechsher.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics