Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Government Aid (Food Stamps and WIC)
1  2  3  4  5  Next

batya_d

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 5:20 pm
I was curious about imamothers who have posted in the past that they receive government aid such as welfare, food stamps or WIC.

I was doing some research into these programs recently, and in most states, the eligibility criteria for these programs is that you must have less than $2,000 in any liquid assets-- that means cash, savings, stocks, bonds, mutual funds... anything except your house, basically.

If you qualify for and receve government aid, is your financial situation really this desperate, that you have less than 2K in assets? Just curious, please help me understand this. Amother replies welcome.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 5:24 pm
When I lived in NY, when my husband was in Kolel, we received food stamps, WIC and Medicaid. Our total assets included our furniture, silver, jewellery, dishes and about $600 average in the bank.
I would assume that many people in NY who receive benefits are in Kolel, or otherwise struggling to finish the month. What is so surprising about that?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 7:03 pm
My husband and I are in kollel in NJ. We really are in that bad of financial sitch. B"H for what we have. We have about $5k in unclaimed funds in NY state, but it's not ours yet, and even when it is, it goes straight to some way past due medical bills of mine, or student loans, or credit cards from before we were married, when I thought I'd get a job very soon and very good $$$$. Any little savings I had before went towards making my modest wedding. Neither family helped and my dh had no savings.

Even though I'd stil be eligible for food stamps/wic we're trying to scoot by without, although maybe I should file for it to be able to spend money on our debtors who like to talk big talk about lawyers *sigh*.

B"H I got married and pg twice at socially (according to secular standards) inconvenient and "irresponsible" times. Of course I wish my children and I didn't need Medicaid, but until a job interview turns into a proper job (other than childcare which I already do), I have to take care of my family with the resources that ARE available. Hashem should bentsch us all with respectable parnossah...or better yet, just send Moshiach and we won't have these headaches any more! (And we'll have lots of maids!)

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 7:18 pm
Most people that have these things have them illegally. Work off the books, etc. Unfortunately, it's so common that people don't even think into it... They just do it because that's how it's done. And, who do you think pays for it? Us, the honest workers.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 7:49 pm
Exactly. All of my friends have this extra cash to spend on... shopping bec they are "homeless" so they got $800 for rent. Then 'unemployed' cuz dh works in green, so cash, food stamps and insurance for whole family.... not bad. I don't blame them, cuz then they would look like me (with my phone cut off for two days...) but I will never lie. BH my kids got insurance.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:07 pm
amother wrote:
Most people that have these things have them illegally. Work off the books, etc. Unfortunately, it's so common that people don't even think into it... They just do it because that's how it's done. And, who do you think pays for it? Us, the honest workers.

1. Most? How do you know that?

2. Why are you anonymous? Oh, because you're being nasty?

Crayon210

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:08 pm
amother wrote:
Exactly. All of my friends have this extra cash to spend on... shopping bec they are "homeless" so they got $800 for rent. Then 'unemployed' cuz dh works in green, so cash, food stamps and insurance for whole family.... not bad. I don't blame them, cuz then they would look like me (with my phone cut off for two days...) but I will never lie. BH my kids got insurance.

You'll just badmouth people. That's nice. Rolling Eyes

chillax

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:09 pm
whoa simmer down ladies

batya_d

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:18 pm
I guess I don't see how someone can TRULY only have $600 at hand in liquid assets. You who are living month to month, you really have NO other accounts, stocks, bonds, anything?? Someone with this little money (less than 2K to their name) probably is on the streets, not on Imamother.

I used the online "do you qualify" tool for food stamps, as we have a pretty low income (enough to probably qualify for WIC if I were preg.), but to qualify for food stamps, you have to be pretty destitute.

Maybe I'm naive. But it seems like "most", yes, most people are fudging.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:19 pm
How would you know? Because YOU can't imagine having that little money?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:29 pm
I will write this anonymously cuz I want to.
My husband was in school, I had a small baby.
I couldnt work, he didnt either because eh was in full time.

My parents cant help us, niether can his.
We lived off of student loans and wic food stamps etc.

Stop being so judgemental. not everyone has mommy and tatty paying for them and when they start to try to get somewhere by going to school, they made need a bit of help to get there.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:30 pm
I live in Chicago. I qualify for WIC and Medicaid. I was 100% honest on the forms. I even mentioned the money my grandparents send us in cash every month!!!
I qualify for medicaid b/c I am self-employed. My husband is in grad school and the insurance through his school for our family is A FORTUNE.

People might say it's wrong for us to take. We live a pretty decent lifestyle. We live in a nice, but not fancy, apartment. I have nice clothes, a nice shetl, a nice stroller, etc. I do not live an extravagant lifestyle at all, I guess normal "frum" standards.

I was 100% honest on all of my application forms.

I am posting as amother because I don't want ppl to know where I live.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:34 pm
When DH was in kollel, we had WIC and medical assistance. We were completely honest about what we had in the bank. We had 2 retirement accounts, but these programs only cared about income. When we applied for food stamps, they factored the 2 accounts in. We missed by $200. If we had not had them, our income would have given us the maximum amount of food stamps possible. No, you can not cash them in and then re-apply...the gov't knows about this kind of thing! We were pretty disappointed b/c it would have really been a big help financially until dh got a job. They really scrutinize everything, so I don't see how a person can "fudge". I think eventually a person will get caught.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:46 pm
How dare you amothers judge people like that?! That is disgusting of you.

My husband and I make less than 2,000 dollars per month. All of our income is declared. We do get government help.

Hopefully, IYH one day we'll be able to reciprocate and help others who are less fortunate, live.

Have you never heard of the mitvah of tzedaka??
I'm sorry that you seem to be so naive. Maybe you should start realizing that Hashem did not make everyone well off for a reason. So that we could help each other.
May you only be on the giving end, and not the receiving end, but don't misjudge.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:49 pm
batya_d wrote:
I guess I don't see how someone can TRULY only have $600 at hand in liquid assets. You who are living month to month, you really have NO other accounts, stocks, bonds, anything?? Someone with this little money (less than 2K to their name) probably is on the streets, not on Imamother.

I used the online "do you qualify" tool for food stamps, as we have a pretty low income (enough to probably qualify for WIC if I were preg.), but to qualify for food stamps, you have to be pretty destitute.

Maybe I'm naive. But it seems like "most", yes, most people are fudging.

Batya_d, I am the amother who had $600 in the bank and NO OTHER ASSETS.
WHy is it so hard for you to understand? MY husband was in kolel, my job paid the rent, utilities and a bit left over for toilet paper and such. We were not on the street, but neither did I have a computer.
No, we did not, and still do not, have stocks, bonds, or anything of the sort. Both of our parents are shluchim with little money to their name and we did not grow up with a silver spoon in our mouths.
I am really hurt by the fact that you think it is abnormal to be so poor. B`H we managed (with the benefits). Now we are on shlichus and are still struggling, minus the benefits that NY offers!
I know I am repeating myself, but what did you not understand?!

gbmb

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:49 pm
WIC's requirements are much more lenient than those of Medicaid and food stamps - for the record! Anyway, I know that some of you are "disgusted" by those who wrote about people that "cheat" to get on programs. Unfortunately, this is just a part of life - there ARE people that do such things and that's just the way it is. I do not judge such people because SOMEONE else will take care of that!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:54 pm
batya_d: I wish you and yours to always be "incredulous" at the fact that there are some people who, unfortunately, qualify for government assistance. And, no, I haven't gone on vacation in my past 10 years since I'm married, and when I'm a overweight I can't go anywhere bc I have nothing to wear and can't afford anything new. And, the above mentioned are only luxuries. BH, we can put food on our tables, and we're healthy and that's what counts. BTW, I'm 31 years old and am missing a number of teeth bc I couldn't afford any dental work. Thanks for listening.

ceo

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 9:13 pm
gbmb wrote:
I do not judge such people because SOMEONE else will take care of that!

that's a good attitude! Thumbs Up

don't worry about what other people are doing.....HKBH knows what He's doing!

batya_d

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 9:14 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
How would you know? Because YOU can't imagine having that little money?

Perhaps, and to all the "how dare you" amothers, what's so awful about trying to understand something that you don't know about? Confused

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 9:21 pm
batya, the research youve done doesnt sound accurate to me.

you have to be living on nothing to qualify for regular Medicaid, but there are different programs where you can earn much much more and still qualify.

if you are pregnant, how much you can earn is much much more. if you have a few kids, it goes up too.

I dont think there is any limit for WIC.

there are other free health insurance government plans where you can earn much more and still qualify, such as Family Health Plus.

this is all for NYC.

there are websites which state the guidlelines clearly- google it.

yes, many people cheat, but many people dont also.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics