Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Side dish for pancakes (dinner?)

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 11:39 am
My kids love pancakes, and I never have time in the morning rush to make them for breakfast. I was thinking about making them for dinner. Any idea of a healthy side I could serve them with? Something relatively quick and easy, although it can be one of those things that takes a short time to prep and a while to cook. Milchik.

I was thinking maybe just some cottage cheese or something? And then maybe cut up some fruit for the cottage cheese? We don't eat the pancakes with syrup or jam or anything, and I'd sort of like to keep it that way.

Any other ideas?

torquoise

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 11:44 am
Blueberries!
Chocolate milk

Your ideas for cottage cheese and fruit are great.

I guess your kids are not big eaters. This would never go in a house with teenage boys, lol Smile

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 11:47 am
I have a four year old and a two year old.

I'm thinking I should have a protein in there. I'd love to include a vegetable too, but no ideas. So I figured a fruit would be fine.

Hm, I could put blueberries in the pancakes or something. If I serve them on the side, my kids will only eat the blueberries Smile But any other ideas? I don't mind things that are full fat (a cheese side dish?), I'm just looking for something that's not full of sugar and has some nutritional value, preferably not just more carbs.

ewa-jo

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 11:50 am
I love breakfast-for-dinner.

How about scrambled eggs and hashbrowns to go with pancakes?

de_goldy

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 11:50 am
I would do a big fruit salad.

Pineapple

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 11:52 am
If you use tofu add it into the batter

torquoise

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 11:53 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
I have a four year old and a two year old.

I'm thinking I should have a protein in there. I'd love to include a vegetable too, but no ideas. So I figured a fruit would be fine.

Hm, I could put blueberries in the pancakes or something. If I serve them on the side, my kids will only eat the blueberries Smile But any other ideas? I don't mind things that are full fat (a cheese side dish?), I'm just looking for something that's not full of sugar and has some nutritional value, preferably not just more carbs.

My 2 yr old loves sliced cheese, especially dipped in ketchup.
You can try hard boiled eggs - deviled, or mashed, or just whole.

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 11:56 am
We love peanut butter on our pancakes. We use the natural variety, so there is no extra sugar or hydrogenated oils. Sometimes we eat steamed veggies or cut up raw veggies with our pancakes. It is a little weird, but it's not a formal meal and I figure we could use the veggies. You could make a veggie omelet instead. That would be more traditional and it still has the protein and vegetables.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 12:20 pm
My father would make fruit pancakes and always served it with peas.

Tova

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 12:22 pm
Tuna salad and cut veggies.

This is what I do on the rare occassion I make pancakes for dinner or lunch.

spring13

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 1:41 pm
Vegetarian sausages and fruit salad.

ray family

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 1:44 pm
you cn cook and puree pumpkin and add it to the batter- if you want to throw in a veg

cottage cheese and fruit sounds perfect

nicole81

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 1:47 pm
when I read the title, before I read your first post, I thought of cottage cheese and fruit!

DrMom

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 3:07 pm
Bacon and eggs. (haha).

Seriously:

cottage or tzafati cheese and sliced fruit

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 3:14 pm
My batter includes eggs, milk, ww flour..so it's pretty healthy. How about a good vegetable salad on the side?

nylon

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 4:50 pm
I also have a version of pancakes with cottage cheese in the batter but you need a nonstick pan (they really, really stick).

I serve fruit with pancakes. my guilty treat is pancakes with Nutella. most kids LOVE pancakes with Nutella and banana. (dulce de leche and banana is also delicious).

Sherri

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 5:25 pm
Corn on the cob?

shanie5

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 11:03 am
If you prepare the batter the night before, it goes quicker in the morning to make them for breakfast.

For dinner I like the cottage cheese and fruit idea.

shnitzel

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 11:13 am
I usually also serve homemade applesauce or apple-strawberry sauce or blueberry sauce with pancakes. I also serve plain yogurt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking