Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Anyone not send their boys to camp? How do they learn?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 11:25 am
I'm planning on keeping all of my kids home from camp this summer. ls.

What am I supposed to do for my sons' learning schedules? I have 2 boys ages 10 and 8. They are not really old enough to learn on their own and they are already learning mishna (and some gemara) which is beyond me to learn with them. When they've gone to camp in the past they've spent the entire morning learning and I'd like them to do the same. What do other people do? Hire a tutor? Send to camp half a day?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 11:28 am
Is there an evening cheder?
Many camps here hardly have learning, unfortunately, so the parents do it, or hire a tutor, or send to evening cheder if there is, or weekly Talmud Torah which isn't much...

shanie5

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 10:54 am
Is there a kolel nearby that you can ask s/o to learn with your sons?

GetReal

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 7:15 pm
Some ideas here:

http://orthonomics.blogspot.co......html

sped

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 6:09 pm
My friend does this and she either: 1- sends her boys to daycamp or overnight camp at least half season for this reason OR takes them to a rebbi for private learning every day.

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 6:28 pm
My son learns with a rebbe first thing in the morning after dovening. I think this is better anyway. It seems to me camp learning is somewhat lite anyway. I drew up specific goals for his learning. I used this as a real opportunity for him. I had him start learning Gemura before his class last summer. They started this academic year.

If cost is a concern, perhaps you can get a group of boys or just pay for the learning part of camp. Maybe there are some home schoolers in thir area and you could participate for the summer. Where I live the boys are organized for the morning in a group.

I really enjoyed having him learn the first thing because we had the whole day free. Also, he accomplished must more with directed learning than the general learning in camp.

My kids don't like camp. They find it boring. I find it expensive. I take the money I would otherwise spend and use it to entertain the kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics