Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Overeating on Shabbos
Previous  1  2

chen

Post Wed, Jul 12 2006, 10:25 am
You can cut back a little during the week to allow slack for Shabbos. Weight Watchers used to have something called the Weekend Option in which during the week you were allowed fewer portions of certain things and then one day a week you could indulge.

I do not recommend wieghing in on Sunday b/c most of whatever you ate on Shabbos is still in your gut waiting to be processed. (BTW "gut" is not vulgar, it is the term used by the medical profession to refer to the alimentary canal and is the title of a respected international journal of gastroenterology.) For psychological reasons, try weighing in on Friday, after you have been watching yourself all week and are probably at your lowest weight for the week. You will have all week to burn up what you ate on Shabbosand that temporary fluctuation in weight will not bother you.Also the mental lift you get from seeing you lost weight will also give you chizuk and you will be less likely to go way overboard on Shabbos. Nothing succeeds like success.

Hatzlocho!

cl

Post Wed, Jul 12 2006, 11:14 am
brilliant idea chen.

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Jul 23 2006, 8:29 pm
I just B"H lost the last ten pounds from pregnancy and I am ashamed to say he is 16 months! YIKES! I just got really serious and ate three small meals a day with no snacking. It wasn't easy!

willow

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 1:27 am
Good for you Very Happy

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 27 2006, 7:33 am
firstly, a good way to loose the weight, as my husband and I have seen over the last while is to not have three big meals a day. instead, have 5 or more little meals a day. it truely helps, b/c if you are hungry, you should not just not eat, you should but dont make it a tub of ice cream. make it a fruit salad or we have taken to eating yogurt with raisin bran in the morning.

also, about shabbat, I have noticed that for us it is the challah more than anything else that is our weakness, so I only buy the number of challah rolls we need to for two lechem mishnas (if its only us).
also, I always, even when we have guests, have a one course meal. I dont see the need for more than that. you have chicken or shnitzel (we do not like chulent) salad and if we are in the mood, a carb. and we have taken to not even wanting dessert so usually I buy fruit for shabbat afternoon.

klotzkashe

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 11:34 pm
Shabbos can cost 100 dollars even with two small kids adn NO GUESTS.
When you add up your meat, fish, fruit & veg, challahs, wine, groceries, plastics/napkins, dessert, - it adds up to almost 100 dollars.

I then learnt how to cut down - not e/ salad needs craisins, chow mein noodles or candied nuts.
You don't have to serve more than one piece of fish per person (hey, there are 3 more courses after that!!)
Chicken soup can be made with chicken frames and not necessarily chicken pieces which are expensive.
Buying wine in bulk is cheaper.
Beign price savvy at kosher stores and bakeries
baking your own cakes/cookies.
Making your own desserts.

For us, a very quiet shabbos at home is minimum $50. that's not including any cakes for breakfast shabbos morning. once you buy chicken, a log of gefilteh fish, f&v's, wine and challah - it's even over $50.

I believe in L'Kovod Shabbos, but we still have to be sensible.
And not only is it better for our wallets, but for our bodies too!

Esther01

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 11:53 pm
I'm dieting for over a year and lost already 50 lbs. I still need to loose 25 lb. these are the hardest to loose. my problem with shabbos is the challah. I only make small challos. yet I make sure to finish every crumb that is on the table.

when I started dieting I bought challos from the bakery (cuz they're not as good as homemade,) but with time I started to really like it and eat a bit more, and a bit more, and only one more etc.

so im kinda stuck.....

raizy

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 12:12 am
esther I am in the same boat. I love bread or challah. so shabbos I am eating tons of challah. and it definetely not good for me.

Sparkle

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 12:20 am
Me too! Challah...and dessert. I'm fine with everything else. I don't eat kugel, cholent, etc.

You know, I think I started this thread a few months ago. It's kind of sad that I am still dealing with this issue! I just told my husband tonight - I'm sick of my eating issue. I want to get on with my life! It's not even that I am so over weight (holding around 140 now) it's just that it is such as issue! I hate it!

That was my rant. Sorry Smile

supermom

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 6:42 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
also, I always, even when we have guests, have a one course meal. I dont see the need for more than that.

You don't eat fish on shabbos? We eat two courses fish and meat, the two main things that you are suppose to eat on shabbos.

chen

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 7:55 am
supermom wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
also, I always, even when we have guests, have a one course meal. I dont see the need for more than that.

You don't eat fish on shabbos? We eat two courses fish and meat, the two main things that you are suppose to eat on shabbos.

Let's be honest, ladies: none of us is getting tubby from the bosor vedogim, even if we have both at every meal on Shabbos. It's going overboard on the "vechol mat'amim" that's doing us in.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 9:45 am
Maybe chen, maybe not.

Gefilte fish has a lot of sugar and eggs in it; it's not diet food.

WhenI had to lose weight for health reasons, the rov told me that I did NOT have to eat the whole Shabbos meal if I had a specific reason not to.

Persoally, I find it very hard to eat sparingly all week and then have course after course on Shabbos.

tziviakayla

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 9:57 am
Sparkle: I usually have a lot of salads for Shabbos. We have fruit for dessert. Occasionally (not every week), I'll make brownies or a banana bread. I don't make kugels every week. I save them as a treat for Yom Tov. Our 1st course is usually fish, salad, hummus, and pickles both at night and during the day. For dinner we have chicken, tomato salad, mushroom salad, coleslaw, and pasta salad. For lunch we have cholent, deli roll (or just plain deli) and more of the salads. My kids and dh really like light meals.

chen

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 10:14 am
SaraG wrote:

Gefilte fish has a lot of sugar and eggs in it; it's not diet food.

au contraire, ma soeur, check out the nutrition labeling on Ungar's regular, ( not sugar-free), gefilte fish loaf--about 44 calories per ounce. not much more than water-pack tuna. A loaf is about 24 ounces, so even if you ate half a loaf(!) that would be only 528 calories--and I doubt you would have much room left for the rest of the meal. 1 serving of Yerushalmi kugel, on the other hand, (http://www.calorie-count.com/recipe/7494.html) weighs in at 236 calories, so 2 pieces are more than half a loaf of gefilte. one small chocoalte cupcake, less than 2 ounces, has about 180 calories. A single Stella Doro Swiss Fudge cookie is about 75--and how many people with a weight problem eat just one? Even challoh is a trap. Yes, it has only about 70 calories per ounce if you don't use a very rich recipe, but your average slice of challoh weighs close to 3 ounces. Your average bakery bulkaleh is a good 3 or 4 ounces, too.

I continue to maintain that it's the "vechol mat'amim"---accent on the Vechol-- that pile on the avoirdupois. Evidently your rov agrees, as he told you you do not have to eat the entire meal.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 10:17 am
I rarely eat tuna....I don't make kugel either unless it's a real occasion. Not stam a Shabos. I don't eat cupcakes or cookies either....when I was heavier it was hard to limit myself so I cut all that out.

As far as the gef fish, it's not just calories, you know - it's fat too.

but you do what you want, chen. I do what works for me.

chen

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 10:35 am
SaraG wrote:
....I don't make kugel either unless it's a real occasion. Not stam a Shabos. I don't eat cupcakes or cookies either....when I was heavier it was hard to limit myself so I cut all that out.

which proves my point. to lose weight over shabbos, by your own admission, you cut out all the extras. not the bossor vedogim, I'll warrant. it's not the chicken (unless it's breaded, battered and fried or drowning in fatty gravy) and the gefilte that's making people fat. it's the additional kugels and the soda and the three slices of challoh and the parve ice cream and the chocolate terrine...

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 10:39 am
People go waaaay overboard with their shabbos food. There's no reason to serve different kugels, plus rice, and lots of meat.

When it's just DH and myself for shabbos I usually just make soup with lots of vegetables and some type of meat (or a salad instead of soup). When I have guests, I try and make healthy sides - green beans, salad, and one "junk food" side dish (like corn kugel, potatoes, cous cous, etc.), if I end up making more junky courses, then I fill my plate up with salad at the beginning of the meal and eat it slowly. Then I'll take a piece of meat, and a LITTLE bit of everything else (if I'm unable to hold back - if I have good willpower that day, I won't take some sides).

The main problem is that the longer the meal goes on, the more a person will take. So I try to eat as slowly as possible so that I won't eat seconds.

It's very hard going elsewhere for meals b/c then I want to try everything that they make - so I do the salad trick and just sample little bits of everything else.

I say that for shabbos, try and make similar foods to what you make during the week. Don't go overboard with sides or else you'll overeat!

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 10:49 am
I agree, its not the fish and chicken that are making people fat (unless we are talking fried) it's all the kugels and fatty side dishes, and the challah.
Who eats like that during the week, with 7 side dishes to go with your meat/chicken?
I barely make kugels, unless it's a special occasion and/or we are having guests. My sides are salads and vegetables. We definately don't have a 7 course meal if it's DH and me. Just the one main course. It gets to be too much food. If you have fish and soup, by the time you get to the main no one is hungry and they stuffed themselves with challah because they were so hungry when they sat down and were waiting for the food.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 10:53 am
Actually, chen, I cut way down on the ikkur of the meals too.

For example, I never take myself a piece of chicken, I always split it with DD (unless she's obviously sick).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise