Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Secular movies with positive portrayals of frum people

ny21

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 12:42 pm
I was the first one to REPLY to this subject and I said
"what baout the movie a stanger amongst us?

I did not start this thread ! why is my name first?

who started this thread?

not that their is anything wrong with it!

Last edited by ny21 on Sun, Dec 24 2006, 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

ceo

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 4:13 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
ceo wrote:
right, like every other 12th grade girl from a frum home needs to "take a break from life" (quoting the book) and runs away with a non-Jew to California. Rolling Eyes That part was REALLY not realistic.

(I am sure it happens, but not as often as you'd believe from reading this book)

And a modern orthodox mother has never heard of Cornell or Brown Universities? I don't believe that......

what book is that from? running away to california?

the ladies auxillary.

momoftwins, I hope you were joking. in a stranger among us, didn't the detective find out that all these chassidishe people involved in money laundering? I wouldn't call that "positive."

su7kids

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 5:48 pm
momoftwins wrote:
what about movies
A STRANGER AMONGST US

Well, there was an underlying story of the Chossid falling in love with the Shiksa and they kissed at one point Positive light? I don't think so.

Maybe if we all behaved as we should, the world wouldn't need to portray our "weaknessess", but the bottom line is, we all need to remember we're all human and not perfect. We just don't want the rest of the world to know that!

ny21

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 8:15 pm
I dont remember the money laundering?
I dont remember the kiss!

I saw the movie a long time ago =
sorry-

mod

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 3:55 pm
posts regarding "Ushpizin" are in a separate thread in this section

Motek

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 7:21 pm
How about:

Quote:
Yentl is a 1983 Academy Award and Golden Globe Award winning American film. It is based upon the short story "Yentl, the Yeshiva Boy", by Isaac Bashevis Singer. Barbra Streisand was producer, director, writer and star.

The film is about a young Jewish woman named Yentl (played by Streisand) living in Poland during the early 20th century. Her widowed father has encouraged his curious daughter by teaching her the Talmud in secret, despite social-religious restrictions barring women from such study. Upon his death, she disguises herself as a man (under the name of her deceased brother Anshel) and travels to another town in order to continue these studies at a yeshiva (a religious school). Soon, however, Yentl's disguise entwines her in a gender-bending entanglement with her study-partner Avigdor (played by Mandy Patinkin) and Avigdor's intended, Hadass (played by Amy Irving).

Quote:
In spite of some wildly mixed reviews (critics called the film everything from a masterpiece to a disaster), the film was a solid hit; grossing over $50 million in the US alone.

mimsy7420

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 7:34 pm
su7kids wrote:
momoftwins wrote:
what about movies
A STRANGER AMONGST US

Well, there was an underlying story of the Chossid falling in love with the Shiksa and they kissed at one point Positive light? I don't think so.

Maybe if we all behaved as we should, the world wouldn't need to portray our "weaknessess", but the bottom line is, we all need to remember we're all human and not perfect. We just don't want the rest of the world to know that!

I also don't think that movie portrayed frum people that well. I saw it a long time ago, but I remember the last scene where he is under the chuppah and his bride is walking around him and him and the non-jewish detective are sharing a "look". Puke
Besides the fact that a lot of what they potrayed about jews, was quite fanatical and not really how it is. Like I don't know anyone with a milk fridge and meat fridge, do you?

technic

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 7:37 pm
"Like I don't know anyone with a milk fridge and meat fridge, do you?"

really? we have 6 - milk, meat, parev - plus the same again for pesach!!! Rolling Laughter

Flowerchild

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 7:42 pm
I actually thought the fridge thing was a good idea, why not it defently keeps the food separated very well, you dont have to worry if milk is spilled on meat etc. I dont know it seems like a good idea to me, if I could afford it I would totally have two separate fridges.

mimsy7420

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 7:54 pm
lol, well I just remember the scene in the movie and someone put something milk in the meat fridge (or vice versa) and there was a huge uproar. So maybe I've never seen a kaffuffle quite like that when we are tlaking about seperate fridges. If someone cooked milk in a meat pot, OK, then maybe that calls for an uproar, in the movie that would have been a more practical kaffuffle. But they just had to take the most extreme thing and make a big deal out of it, to try to portray jews as fanatical.

ny21

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 7:54 pm
on the tv show the oc

the actors who play jews (who are not jews)

do not do a good job at this.

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 11:29 pm
Price above rubies is another film than showed frum life in a bad light. It was worse than stranger among us

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 11:53 pm
my sister's friends son (italian) played one of the brothers in a stranger among us (I think that was the movie - in williamsburg & jewelry...huh)

ny21

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 11:55 pm
some of the scenes were taken on 47 th $street in N.Y. C.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 9:24 am
Has anyone watched the film THE FIDDLER ON THE ROOF? The main actor is Tevya the milkman. It is a story of Jewish life in Anatifka, Russia, and how the Jews were forced to leave their shtettle. It portrays the jews in a good light, it's a beautiful, moving film. I had neve seen a better film than the Fiddler.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 10:57 am
Pickle Lady wrote:
Price above rubies is another film than showed frum life in a bad light. It was worse than stranger among us

much worse!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics