Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to clean the stove top burner pieces??

smoms

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 7:40 pm
I have a GE cafe gas range. The burner pieces are two part - there is a silver part where the flame comes out and the black top piece. I don't know how to get them clean without using st morits or other horrible stuff.

here is what I have tried so far:

comet
soft scrub
magic eraser.
bar keepers friend
vinegar baking soda (and letting it sit for a while)
ammonia

any solutions???

Raizle

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 8:04 pm
oven cleaner? the kind you spray and leave over night.

Editing my post now because I don't think you have to go to such lengths to clean your burners.
try oven cleaner and if that doesn't work then from pesach point of view I don't think you need to go nuts any more or use something that is a dangerous product.
If you are kashering then the blow torch will finish the job and any dirt left on will get burnt to non-chometzdik existence.

http://www.thelakewoodscoop.co......html

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 8:18 pm
grates: blow torch the grates
fire spigots: turn on the flames and burn out for 40 minutes
stovetop piece: double cover in super heavy foil, making sure not to cover any vents

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 8:24 pm
Try putting the grates in the oven when you run the self clean cycle.

Raizle

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 8:27 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Try putting the grates in the oven when you run the self clean cycle.

assuming she has a self clean oven that is.. Tongue Out

smoms

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 8:49 pm
thanks for all your replies... I am not talking about the grates.. I am talking about the actual part where the fire comes out from. I dont know what it is called. On my stove it is a light silver and the dirt is black and very visible. (unlike the grates - where you have to look to see the dirt Very Happy ) I am not cleaning this for pesach.. I purchased additional parts for that. It is a fairly new stove and I don't seem to know how to get it clean. so I am asking all you wonderful women out there for some tips.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 8:51 pm
Double check this because I'm rusty from year to year (my dh keeps telling me we've done xyz in the past and I'm like what???)
I clean my grates as well as I can. I scrub and get off pretty much everything humanly possible. I then place in a bucket of ammonia because that kind of 'nullifies' anything that may be remaining. (My cleaning lady used to love to use st moritz on a weekly basis to clean my grates. They were gorgeous but it smelled really bad and now I have a son who gets into everything so I skip that)

I then take the extra heavy duty foil and fold it a few times to make a sheet (I think you can also use a store bought blech for this but I'm not sure). I place it over the burner and turn it up to high and leave it like that. I forget how long, maybe until the foil turns red, or it can burn paper, something like that. Don't do all the burners at once it can be dangerous.

Or you can place in a self cleaning oven. I don't think you have to clean them first then.

Both ways will cause the paint on your grates to warp.

I'm not sure why I'm scrubbing. I should just self clean...

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 8:52 pm
smoms wrote:
thanks for all your replies... I am not talking about the grates.. I am talking about the actual part where the fire comes out from. I dont know what it is called. On my stove it is a light silver and the dirt is black and very visible. (unlike the grates - where you have to look to see the dirt Very Happy ) I am not cleaning this for pesach.. I purchased additional parts for that. It is a fairly new stove and I don't seem to know how to get it clean. so I am asking all you wonderful women out there for some tips.
the part where the fire comes out of never gets treif btw. and it doesn't need major kashering for pesach.
so I assume yours are just fine. clean what you can. burn out the rest for 40 minutes.
you can also call your Rav. he will probably tell you that you have done enough.

smoms

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 8:58 pm
again..this is not for pesach..this is a general cleaning question.
How do I get those black stains off the silver parts? its still quite new..so I want it still looking nice. Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 9:15 pm
smoms wrote:
How do I get those black stains off the silver parts? its still quite new..so I want it still looking nice. Very Happy
The only way to get that look is with the horrible oven cleaners.

B+T Tali

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 2:43 pm
smoms wrote:

The only thing that worked for me was to spray them good with oven cleaner, wait a few hours and then scrub with magic eraser. The holes do get clogged this way, but I use a wood shish kabob stick to clear the holes, then turn on the gas and let the rest burn off.

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 10:50 pm
I had the same black spots and cleaned it fairly easily with Fantastik all purpose lemon power cleaner.

granolamom

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 10:59 pm
I have a GE profile gas range, I know what parts and stains you're talking about. I cannot completely remove the stains. I'm afraid to try oven cleaner, dont want to damage the finish. I'm living with the stains.
for pesach, I just soak the pieces in ammonia, scrub, then kasher by turning on the flame and letting it go for a while.

yiddishekup

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 11:19 pm
I actually used oven cleaner before and if its pretty new then I wouldn't reccomend. Mine turned slightly greyish. Instead use Brillo supreme steel wool and after having scrubbed with Bar Keepers Friend I'm suggested the Kosher Bar Soap and good ol fashioned hand rubbing, comes out shining and beautiful! Try it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry