Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Are those from non-observant families non-accountable?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 7:43 pm
if someone comes from a non-observant family, where they are not brought up to know about Judaism and the laws, are they not held accountable for their lack of observance? since it's harder for them

amother

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 7:48 pm
I don't think they are non - accountable, but I think due to possible difficulties for what they do they are rewarded more

nylon

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 7:57 pm
According to some authorities (notably the Rambam, who was discussing the children and grandchildren of Karaites), someone from a non frum family is a tinok shenishba and is not in the same category as someone who knowingly violates the Torah. I have known non-Orthodox Jews who find this view condescending and while I understand their point, I think the argument has validity. Someone who willfully breaks a law is different from someone who has never been taught about it.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 8:13 pm
I don't know, I often wonder about that

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 8:16 pm
However, the person who doesn't know to eat matza on Pesach, for example, doesn't get credit for it.

hadasa

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 2:46 am
Since we can never know another person's circumstances, we have no way of knowing what Hashem does or doesn't hold him accountable for. The same applies for FFB Jews who slip in something. Al tadun etc.
But I may be held accountable for not teaching him otherwise.

In addition, Judaism is not all about avoiding punishment. There is a spiritual effect accomplished by the performance of a Mitzvah, which cannot be accomplished by other means. So even if a person is not at fault and will not be punished, he and the whole world will still be lacking the benefit of his Mitzvah.

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 3:22 am
nylon wrote:
According to some authorities (notably the Rambam, who was discussing the children and grandchildren of Karaites), someone from a non frum family is a tinok shenishba and is not in the same category as someone who knowingly violates the Torah. I have known non-Orthodox Jews who find this view condescending and while I understand their point, I think the argument has validity. Someone who willfully breaks a law is different from someone who has never been taught about it.

This is how I learned it too.

celestial

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 11:34 am
What if the family knows about some of the laws, but not all? What if the kid comes from a frum family but was abused or only received negative or non-consistent messages about the Torah and Hashem? I wonder....

I think bottom line is - Hashem is the true judge.

ora_43

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 11:52 am
nylon wrote:

I agree with this.

That said, on Yom Kippur we do teshuva also for the things we did wrong without realizing they were wrong, because ignorance of the law isn't an excuse, at least not once you've had the opportunity to learn.

So when someone is at a point where they're not only ignorant, but so ignorant that they don't even recognize their own ignorance, then it's not like someone who knowingly does wrong. But if someone is ignorant, knows they're ignorant and doesn't bother to learn, then I think that's already in a different category. "I wasn't taught" isn't an excuse if you knew you weren't taught and didn't bother to teach yourself.

(And that said - like celestial says only Hashem is the true judge of when someone knew better or didn't)

black sheep

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 12:28 pm
the circumstances that a person is born into was designated specifically for him to help him reach his personal highest spiritual levels. perhaps someone born into a secular family had the journey of becoming observant, and through that journey reached his spiritual goals. or perhaps he never became observant, but fulfilled his spiritual goals in other ways. I really doubt that Hashem chose these circumstances for certain people with the idea that they are really supposed to be observant, and therefore aren't fulfilling their destiny. so are they accountable? of course! everyone is accountable for their actions and for their spiritual journey, but I doubt what Hashem considers "accountable" is the same as what you consider "accountable."

amother

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 1:23 pm
if someone doesn't know that it's not allowed to drive on shabbat or to work on shabbat (because their family never taught them that or perhaps didn't really know themselves) then of course they are not held accountable if they do this

however, like someone said if the individual takes it upon themselves to learn more about Judaism or starts to keep more of the laws than their parents then obviously, can you imagine the extra pride Hashem takes in them - obviously like someone else said, that is part of their personal mission, I heard it said somewhere that more and more often the roles are reversing and children are nowadays teaching their parents about Judaism and the laws, rather than the other way round! we don't know why each individual is placed where they are placed, but they can still have the same closeness, if not more, than someone who was placed in an observant family where things came automatic to them

also, the way we are judged is not only according to observance - it's so much more than that. G-d judges us not only on our observance of His laws but on our conduct to our fellow man. if someone is kind , caring, helpful - G-d loves that person, because that's how He treats them/us in return. the more you show yourself to be a kind and caring person the more G-d will want to care for you. Those who are born into the more secular or non observant families are given credit for their good deeds and maybe they have some special mission in this area of life.

chani8

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 2:18 pm
What about the person who was FFB, taught religion with so many chumros, and then rebelled (for some reason), and while trying to do a more basic form of judaism, but doesn't understand what is halacha and what isn't, transgresses a halacha d'oraisa by accident?

What does H think of someone like that? Does He still love that person?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 2:46 pm
We don't know what Hashem thinks.

I learned some rules are to be known by everyone, like "do not kill", and a frum and a tinok shenishba are judged the same on this, but some rules can't be known without teaching, some even without extended teaching, and then obviously it makes a difference.
I agree with Hadasa that it's not all about punishment but also spiritual negative or positive effects, hence the need to teach Jews. But as my rav says one needs to teach carefully, because if now he knows how bad something is and still doesn't give a thought of doing it... we made it worse for him. And at the same time, who knows, maybe 20 years after he'll make teshuva over what you said.

It's so very hard.

hadasa

Post Thu, Apr 12 2012, 1:30 am
chani8 wrote:
What about the person who was FFB, taught religion with so many chumros, and then rebelled (for some reason), and while trying to do a more basic form of judaism, but doesn't understand what is halacha and what isn't, transgresses a halacha d'oraisa by accident?

What does H think of someone like that? Does He still love that person?
Bein kach uvein kach banai hem. Hashem loves every Jew. And there is always the possibility to do Teshuvah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics