Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Yapchik in the crockpot instructions
1  2  3  Next

Tapuzi

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 11:12 pm
Can someone who has made a yapchik in the crockpot please give me instructions on how to do so? Is there water involved?
TIA

okeydocke

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 11:29 pm
I made it plenty of times in crock pot
you dont need more water, first on high, after it starts cooking lower it to lower number, and watch it, maybe scrape the sides of pot, but other then that its YUM

realeez

Post Fri, Apr 06 2012, 7:59 am
I put meat and bones at the bottom of a crockpot thats lined with parchment paper and then grated onions, potatoes and salt on top. No water, no eggs, no oil other than greasing the crockpot. Cook on high for a few hours and then to low. I find it needs a good 18-24 hours to cook.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Apr 06 2012, 10:24 am
realeez wrote:
I put meat and bones at the bottom of a crockpot thats lined with parchment paper and then grated onions, potatoes and salt on top. No water, no eggs, no oil other than greasing the crockpot. Cook on high for a few hours and then to low. I find it needs a good 18-24 hours to cook.

Thanks, I'm trying that!

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Apr 08 2012, 8:47 pm
Reporting back on the crockpot recipe above: DELICIOUS!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 5:38 pm
I can hardly wait to try this.
Thanks!

sky

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 6:57 pm
I made the first shabbos of pesach with a mixture of recipes from imamother.

I lined my crockpot with paper.
Grated 10 potatoes on large holes + 1 onion.
Mixed in 3 eggs, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
Poured half the mixture into the crockpot. Then a layer of flanken and then the rest of the potatoes being sure to cover all the meat.
I poured some oil around the edges and covered the whole thing with a sheet of parchment.
I cooked on high until it started cooking and then turned it to low.
It was AMAZING.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 7:04 pm
Any advice on how to prepare this with Shabbos following a YomTov?

realeez

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 7:07 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Reporting back on the crockpot recipe above: DELICIOUS!

Glad you enjoyed!!!

Not sure how to do for second day... I'm thinking to make a regular potato kugel, freeze it raw and then put it at bottom of crockpot and cover with cubed potatoes, meat and make how I'd make a cholent (minus the beans and barley)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 9:15 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Can you use a hand grater on Friday erev YT?
That's if you don't make a really large cholent!

Blue jay

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 9:24 pm
Why do you use the parchment paper? Does it burn in the crock pot or melt? How do you serve the "Yapchick" and what does it look like?

This recipe sounds fascinating.... (Im nervous about trying it because I already ruined 2 slow cookers with my cholents Sad

realeez

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 10:57 pm
The parchment paper is just so the yapchick doesn't stick to the crockpot sides! It comes out like a kugel on top of meat.

obagys

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 11:04 pm
I am drooling reading this thread. My husband can't have red meat for medical reasons so no yapchik for me Sad Sounds so delicious though!!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 11:05 pm
obagys wrote:
I am drooling reading this thread. My husband can't have red meat for medical reasons so no yapchik for me Sad Sounds so delicious though!!
you can use boneless chicken thighs.
or no meat at all.

obagys

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 11:08 pm
ra_mom wrote:
obagys wrote:
you can use boneless chicken thighs.
or no meat at all.

Chicken is not meat, lol....I have tried to convince myself over the years being married to him and having this restriction, but it is just NOT the same. And without anything it's just a potato kugel Crying

When he leaves town for work I "celebrate" by cooking a nice steak dinner for the family LOL

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 11:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Rubber Ducky wrote:

For Pesach I have a fancy food processor but no hand grater. Sad
Anyway, 10 potatoes is a lot of grating.

I'm going to try shredding the potatoes tomorrow and keeping them in cold water in the fridge. I'll shred the onions separately. Then I can put everything together on Friday.

Levtov

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 11:43 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Rubber Ducky wrote:

For Pesach I have a fancy food processor but no hand grater. Sad
Anyway, 10 potatoes is a lot of grating.

I'm going to try shredding the potatoes tomorrow and keeping them in cold water in the fridge. I'll shred the onions separately. Then I can put everything together on Friday.

I would put it in the crockpot on high tomorrow for about an hour. Then refrigerate with crockpot. Then leave the crockpot bottom on low and return crockpot from fridge 2-3 hours before shabbos.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 11 2012, 11:56 pm
Levtov wrote:
I would put it in the crockpot on high tomorrow for about an hour. Then refrigerate with crockpot. Then leave the crockpot bottom on low and return crockpot from fridge 2-3 hours before shabbos.

That's an interesting idea. When I Googled "how to shred potatoes in advance" there were a few suggestions to blanch the potatoes. Your idea sounds similar.

zufriedene

Post Thu, Apr 12 2012, 1:35 am
Hi, I want to bring to your attention that some people are careful not to leave shredded uncooked onions left uncooked overnight . So it would seem better to mix them with the potatoes and eggs in advance, or start the slow cooker for about an hour. But do check it out to find out what you are actually recommended to do. Enjoy the cholent and a gutten Yuntiff.

zufriedene

Post Thu, Apr 12 2012, 1:47 am
BTW, I'm interested in doing this for Shabus, will only a crockpot do?
Can I prepare it today, half cook it, put in the refrigerator and then on the electric platte just before Shabus? Will it have the same taste? Anyone with experience with this?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics