Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Potato kugel cholent from Binah

frumamn

Post Thu, Apr 12 2012, 5:04 pm
Does anyone have the time to post the recipe for the potao kugel cholent that was featured in one of the Pesach issues of Binah? I would really appreciate it!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 12 2012, 5:07 pm
Monsey Mom wrote:
I knew you'd come through!!

BINAH PESACH CHOLENT (please excuse typos)

Kugel layer:

6 Yukon gold potatoes
1 onion
4 eggs
1/2 c oil
1 T salt

Cholent layer:

3 sliced Yukon gold potatoes
1 onion, diced and sauteed in 2 T oil
1 lb flanken
1 c boiling water

To prepare kugel layer, shred potatoes and onion in food processor. Add oil, salt and mix. Place half the mixture in bottom of crockpot.

Place sliced potatoes on top of kugel mixture. Add sauteed onions on top, then lay meat. Pour remaining kugel layer on top. Put boiling water on top.

Turn crock pot to low and simmer.

My family and guests loved it. I used alot more meat, BTW.

This one?
I got it from here.

frumamn

Post Thu, Apr 12 2012, 6:26 pm
yes! thank you!

2cents

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 10:38 am
How would I make this for shabbos of a three day yomtov, other than starting to assemble from scratch on Friday? Can I partially cook it before yuntif and stick it in the Crock-Pot erev shabbos?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 12:21 pm
2cents wrote:
How would I make this for shabbos of a three day yomtov, other than starting to assemble from scratch on Friday? Can I partially cook it before yuntif and stick it in the Crock-Pot erev shabbos?

This recipe is delish and can be prepped in advance. Put kugel batter in a mason jar or large container as early as Wednesday, with a paper towel on top before sealing, and only the paper towel will turn brown but not the kugel batter. Refrigerate batter. You can also refrigerate the sauteed onions in advance. Then put up the dish fresh Friday.

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:49 pm
Can I make this in a regular pot if I don't have a pesach Crock-Pot?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:52 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
Can I make this in a regular pot if I don't have a pesach Crock-Pot?

I am sure you can. If you've had success converting crockpot cholent recipes to stovetop on the blech, this would be similar.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:58 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I am sure you can. If you've had success converting crockpot cholent recipes to stovetop on the blech, this would be similar.

This recipe has a lot of potatoes! Ra mom do you have a recipe for quoina cholent?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:41 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
This recipe has a lot of potatoes! Ra mom do you have a recipe for quoina cholent?

If fills a full 6 quart crockpot. I halve the recipe.
I haven't tried a quinoa cholent because my husband is not too keen on quinoa and will only eat it once a year as a salad on pesach.
I switch off between yapsuk shredded potato cholent and this potato kugel cholent.
You can try this and let us know how it goes.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/j.....lent/
In place of soup mix just add extra salt (probably 2 teaspoons extra for the whole recipe) since there is already enough fresh onion & garlic in the recipe. It doesn't list how much water, but it probably needs 4-5 times the amount of quinoa, but again, haven't tried it. Also a big recipe that can be halved.

happinessseeker

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 7:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This recipe is delish and can be prepped in advance. Put kugel batter in a mason jar or large container as early as Wednesday, with a paper towel on top before sealing, and only the paper towel will turn brown but not the kugel batter. Refrigerate batter. You can also refrigerate the sauteed onions in advance. Then put up the dish fresh Friday.

Thank you for all your help always.
What size plastic container or mason jar would I need? I would need to purchase something
Also, can you make yapchik in advance the same way? And which one is better or easier?

Thank you!!

2cents

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 7:31 pm
happinessseeker wrote:
What size plastic container or mason jar would I need? I would need to purchase something
Also, can you make yapchik in advance the same way? And which one is better or easier?

Thank you!!

I don't think it needs to be a mason jar; I'm going to try this and put it into a regular pyrex or plastic Tupperware with a lid, and will put a paper towel to prevent browning.

happinessseeker

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 7:55 pm
2cents wrote:
I don't think it needs to be a mason jar; I'm going to try this and put it into a regular pyrex or plastic Tupperware with a lid, and will put a paper towel to prevent browning.

What would you say a “regular” size container is? 32 oz?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 9:20 pm
happinessseeker wrote:

Thank you!!

I think I have something like a 96 oz/6 pound container. I can measure.
Yapsuk is just raw shredded potatoes, no eggs or oil, so I don't make that in advance.

amazingmommy

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 3:47 am
ra_mom wrote:
I think I have something like a 96 oz/6 pound container. I can measure.
Yapsuk is just raw shredded potatoes, no eggs or oil, so I don't make that in advance.

Ra mom- do you have time to post a yapchik recipe that you do?
Thanks either way Smile

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 6:02 am
amazingmommy wrote:
Ra mom- do you have time to post a yapchik recipe that you do?
Thanks either way Smile

Grease crockpot, then line with parchment paper, so it sticks. Put meat and bones at the bottom of the lined crockpot. Top with grated onions. Top that with grated potato. Finish off with very generous amount of salt. Do not mix layers. No water, no eggs, no oil.
Cover and cook on low for 20 hours.
Ratio is about 1 medium onion (not large) to 3 large russet / idaho potatoes.

gold2

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 6:49 am
I don't have a crock pot. can I make this in the oven and how to reheat Shabbos day on hot plate. I don't leave my oven on over Shabbos. Can I leave it on the whole night on the hot plate without it getting dry? Possibly on another tin but then it won't stay hot? Any ideas more than welcome! TIA
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics