Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Do you let your baby sleep in the swing?

Raw

Post Tue, Apr 17 2012, 9:59 am
My baby is 2 months old and I find it difficult to put him to sleep in the afternoon. So instead of rocking him for ages and then putting him down in the bassinet like I do at night, in the afternoon I put him in the swing and it lulls him to sleep for a couple hours.
I feel like this is a bad habit to get into. Do any of you have similar experiences? Will he only nap in the swing if he gets too used to this or is it irrelevant?

Please advise!! Thanks.

bnm

Post Tue, Apr 17 2012, 2:31 pm
My baby napped in the swing till he got too big/heavy for it. as they get heavier the moter has to work harder to swing them so it dosn't go that quickly... it sort of weans them off

miami85

Post Tue, Apr 17 2012, 6:21 pm
For what its worth, my babysitter rocked my son to sleep/let him sleep in the swing since he was an infant--now almost 16months. He hasn't been in a swing at home since 7months (I don't even remember). He goes to sleep in his crib with almost no problem. I will emphasize that every baby is different and temperament and sleep style play a big role, but it may not be the end of the world if he does it. Especially considering most baby books will tell you that at 2months old babies are too young to develop "bad habits" after 3-4 months is when "habits" start forming.

anonymom

Post Tue, Apr 17 2012, 6:40 pm
There were many nights when the only way I could get my now 9 year old to sleep was in the swing. So he spent some nights in the swing (in my room) and he does not seem to have been damaged by it. I would make sure the baby's head cant roll forward or sideways by propping with towels or blankets.

StrongIma

Post Tue, Apr 17 2012, 7:31 pm
just to concur - one of my kids nearly lived in her swing for the first 4 months of her life - ate in it, slept in it, etc. - no damage or issues noted (she's a teen now!)

1rivky1

Post Tue, Apr 17 2012, 8:58 pm
all my kids love sleeping in the swing!! They like to be rocked and it's snug in the swing!! Once they are fast asleep, I try to remember to turn it off so they don't get too dizzy!! Best gift ever was my swing!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics