Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Quince, anyone?

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 8:16 pm
I just bought two quince (quinces?? LOL )

They looked and smelled so good in the store, and I know they're a seasonal item, so I said why not try something new...

Now, any idea of what to do with these pretty things?
Never had them before in any way, shape or form.

Oh, Chen? Tongue Out

Flowerchild

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 8:19 pm
I have a few recipes if you like

shopaholic

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 8:35 pm
I think the new KBD that came out yesterday has a recipe in there.

Flowerchild

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 8:51 pm
ok which of these would you like? quince with chicken, jelly, butter with nuts, stew, cousecouse, kobeba, in wine. let me know which one and ill give you the recipe

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 8:52 pm
hmmm...thanks so much lily. how about the couscous one? that's something we eat a lot around here.

Flowerchild

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 9:10 pm
ok nevermind the cousecouse, I looked at the wrong recipe, do you want the any other ones?

chen

Post Fri, Nov 03 2006, 9:19 am
send them to me! I have never even seen a quince sold in my neck of the woods, and they're supposed to be good for making esrog jam jell. My esrogim should be ready to cook pretty soon, so...

but seriously, the only thing I know to do with a quince is make jelly, either straight quince jelly or mixed with other fruits. Sorry...

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Nov 03 2006, 10:51 am
My mother makes esrog compote with quinces. (So do I. I guess it's family tradition. Smile

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Nov 03 2006, 1:32 pm
thanks lily, I finally found a recipe that sounds simple....looks like most pple just make quince jelly. but thanks anyway!!

ps-chen, shall I fedex you a few quince?

Apple-Quince Crisp

From Cooking Light

7 cups sliced peeled Granny Smith apple (about 2 pounds)
6 cups sliced peeled quince (about 6 quinces)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Cooking spray
2/3 cup regular oats
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons chilled stick margarine, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 400°.

Combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl; toss well to coat. Spoon apple mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Place oats in a food processor, and pulse until coarsely ground. Add flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and margarine; pulse 10 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle over apple mixture.

Cover mixture, and bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Uncover, and bake 20 minutes or until the fruit is tender and the topping is crisp. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
8)

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Nov 03 2006, 1:33 pm
SaraYehudis wrote:
My mother makes esrog compote with quinces. (So do I. I guess it's family tradition. Smile

how does it taste?

mali

Post Sat, Nov 04 2006, 12:40 pm
We always had quince compote. You cook them on a low flame with sugar and lemon juice (no water) for about four hours, until they get a deep red color, then add boiling water, bring to a boil again, and turn off the flame. Very refreshing!

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Nov 04 2006, 6:37 pm
I'm not sure how to describe it, but esrogim are somewhat bitter, so it gets cooked with LOTS of sugar. The quinces are sweeter. It's an interesting combination of sweet with undertones of bitter. (think of a grapefruit). Some of the kids like it, others don't, but it's just so exciting to eat esrog that at least they try!

chen

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 10:19 am
ps-chen, shall I fedex you a few quince?

aaargh, too late--the esrog jam is already made. but thanks for the offer, and remind me next year--before I make the jam! Very Happy

chen

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 10:20 am
SaraYehudis wrote:
I'm not sure how to describe it, but esrogim are somewhat bitter, so it gets cooked with LOTS of sugar. The quinces are sweeter. It's an interesting combination of sweet with undertones of bitter. (think of a grapefruit). Some of the kids like it, others don't, but it's just so exciting to eat esrog that at least they try!

don't you soak the esrogim to get rid of the bitterness?

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 10:35 am
yes, chen I do soak them. How long do you soak them for?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics