Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Tomato sauce like on Mendelssohn's Pizza

Tante Doda

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 8:35 am
Hi. Picky eating kids, mom who wants to make lots of pizza to freeze. What recipe do you have for tomato sauce that is sweet but contains no sugar, probably lots of tomato paste instead? Something can almost pass for Mendelssohn's pizza sauce?
Thanks a lot.

smss

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 9:04 am
If you want it sweet you have to put in some kind of sweetener. Tomato paste isn't sweet.
Would you want to use Splenda?

A good pizza sauce recipe with tomato paste is equal parts tomato paste and water, plus sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and a drop of salt.
Refrigerate it overnight for the pizza store texture.

Tante Doda

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 9:52 am
Thank you.
I'd try Splenda if my kids didn't notice, and if I couldn't find an unsweetened recipe. Take care Smile

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 10:03 am
Agree, you can't get sweet without sweetener. Alternatives to sugar could be agave nectar, syrup (which is plenty sugary but what can I say, I once squirted pancake syrup into a pasta sauce improv concoction and it was perfect!) or maybe even some kind of fruit jam?

You can definitely have a good pizza without sugar but not if you're looking for sweet flavor as you requested in the original post.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals