Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
We got our bunny!!!

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sat, Mar 05 2011, 8:08 pm
I asked about bunnies in a previous post, and wanted to update everyone that we finally got one!!! We got it at a shelter, and the poor thing is totally freaked out (they kept them in filthy cages over there, never took them out, and they had almost no human contact besides for the people that came to feed them twice a day) but we're all warming up and figuring everything out as we go along! We've had it for all of a day and half LOL and my kids are enchanted. I dont know how to upload a picture, so I'm linking one from my facebook page - please let me know if it doesnt work.

Oh, no name yet. I think Oreo (it's black and white) but my daughter insists on calling him ketchup.

http://www.facebook.com/photo......eater

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 11:05 am
cute !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4Sisters

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 4:53 am
How's it going now that he's been "in the family" for a while? Hope the adjustment is going well for everyone!

We have two bunnies and they are lovely additions to our family. If a kid gets upset, we suggest they go have some "B.T."--bunny therapy Smile

Frenchfry

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 5:12 am
Luckt kids! My kids have been on a campaign for a bunny for ages! I told them that the only live things that I want around the house are children.

How much care does it practically take!
For long time bunny owners: how long before they lose interest?

ellie23

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 6:02 am
I owned a bunny for a while. he was huge and adorable but as much as I loved him I ended up giving him away because it was so much cleaning that I had to spend hours every week cleaning it. scrubbing each bar of his cage, each toy, food and water trays, the cage bottom, keeping newspapers stocked up for him, amking sure he had plenty of fresh vegetables etc...and with all that care there was still a smell there (he was really oversized so maybe thats why) he also terrified my cat by running after him when he saw him Smile...it was simply too much work for me.....but they can be very loving and for those who like quiet...they dont make a sound!

4Sisters

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 4:20 am
Both of our bunnies are tiny, b''h. The smaller one weighs 1.5 pounds!

re. how much work: I do almost all the cage-cleaning. We also have a playpen area for them, and I clean that, too. I knew that's what it would be when we got them, and I don't mind b/c they really are nice additions to our family. Takes me about 15 mins for two cages and the same for the playpen area (which is one area ,but is bigger than the cages. Bunnies need to run around, but we have been absolutely unable to litter-box train ours, so we keep them contained in one spot of the back hall). I try to change the cage/hall twice a week, but, many weeks it turns into the last job done before Shabbos.

I also (oh, joy) work with my dd (14 and the main one to play w. them) to clip their nails. All of us, including the bunnies hate that job....dd holds them and gives them a carrot while I try to clip as gently as possible. They still flinch and freak out sometimes. Poor babies! I read that the smaller the bunny the more skittish the temperament (which I think is the same with dogs?).

For our family, they have been very nice pets. We have had guinea pigs, and done a fair bit of dog-sitting. The bunnies are great b/c they are cute and cuddly (much cuter than guinea pigs, IMO) and don't make noise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets