Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Do you go to the GYM?

lubcoralsprings

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 11:08 pm
I am joining an all ladies gym tomorrow. Does anyone go to a gym? I wonder how people will perceive me in my tichel?

su7kids

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 11:17 pm
Don't worry about your tichel. I used to go with a snood and I wore pants under a skirt. If I went to a woman's only gym, I may have considered not waering a skirt, but its so unusual for me.

Just go and have fun and come back here and inspire us!

Annie

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 11:20 pm
I go to Curves. I wear a big t-shirt, exercise pants and a bandana.

Sparkle

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 12:49 am
I go to an all womens gym and I have never gotten any strange comments/looks from anyone. I wear leggings, t-shirt, and a bandana.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 2:41 am
I hate the gym. would rather do exercise at home, but here is a question for you all who g to ALL WOMEN'S gyms: why do you have to cover your hair if there are only women there?
my mother used to go to curves and the whole room was covered so that nobody could see in, so I am sure that many women uncovered their hair as I am sure that it is easier to exercise without something on your head, no?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 5:05 am
You don't HAVE TO cover your hair in front of other women. But many women, including myself, keep my hair covered at all times, even when I'm by myself. It is added tzniyus and it is also written in the Zohar (I think) that in this merit there are many brachos for one's children. (Anyone have a source?) It is based on Kimchis, who merited all her sons being Kohanim Gedolim in the merit that even the walls of her house didn't see her hair.

You also don't have to wear any clothes at all in front of other women Very Happy , so how we have to wear doesn't necessarily correspond to what we, ourselves, consider tzniyus.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 10:03 am
I never cover my hair when I exercise; when I took classes I wore a ponytail.

mom3boys

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 10:10 am
I go to an all women's gym. Lots of frum women, all with different level of tznius. Never have I felt a judgemental eye. In general I find most women frum and secular worry more about their own appearance than that of the lady on the adjacent treadmill Wink

Motek

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 2:15 pm
mummyof6 wrote:
It is added tzniyus and it is also written in the Zohar (I think) that in this merit there are many brachos for one's children. (Anyone have a source?) It is based on Kimchis, who merited all her sons being Kohanim Gedolim in the merit that even the walls of her house didn't see her hair.

The Zohar and the story about Kimchis are two different things. Kimchis is in the Gemara. Both the Zohar and Kimchis are in some Hair thread. Good luck finding it (try Search) 8)

Quote:
You also don't have to wear any clothes at all in front of other women

In a bathhouse ...

Otherwise, you must wear clothes even when alone. There are even halachos about how to get dressed and undressed in a modest way, which apply even when you're alone.

gali

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 11:25 pm
lubcoralsprings, it's great you're joining a gym! I'm sure you'll love it - exercise makes me feel much better when I feel down and helps me lose weight at the same time.
I think though, if this isn't a Jewish womens gym, forget the tichel and wear a bandana. I think a tichel may attract some looks, (although like s/o else said, most women are more concerened about their own appearances than anyone else) but a bandana fits right in. Non Jews have seen bandanas and are used to them, and many people (jewish or not) wear it when working out but tichels are something they may not be familiar with. Bandanas are much cheaper also- around $1.

ceo

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 8:26 pm
I belong to a women's gym- not curves, a regular gym, and I wear a snood while exercising. Honestly, there are a lot of really weird looking people there, so I doubt anyone looks at me funny- at least not more than they are staring at the woman who is wearing a rhinestone covered outfit and has hair like it was last styled in 1987! I doubt anyone would look at you funny either, so wear what you feel comfortable with.

Who cares if a tichel or snoods attracts looks? Since when do we care what the non jews think about kisui rosh? Where whatever is most comfortable for you! (Personally, I find a pre-tied bandana works well at the gym, it doesn't slip).

shopaholic

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 9:08 pm
I'm so jealous! I really need to start walking again. Since my walking buddy moved this summer, I have not been once! That belly flab is getting bigger & I'm embarrassed for next time we see each other. She'll look much better than me, I'm sure!

lubcoralsprings

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 9:29 pm
Well, last thursday was my first day at the gym. B"H it went well, but I had to wear a skirt. It's an all womans gym but it's in a shopping mall and has glass mirrors so I feel more comfortable in my sweat skirt, leggings, and snood. Since I am one of the thinner ones at the gym, B"H, people don't pay too much attention to me, because I don't stand out. I'll keep you guys updated but my goal is to maintain my weight over the Yomim Tovim. LOL

aussiegal

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 4:49 am
WOw! I am quite impressed with how many people go to the gym. I am SO lazy. I have NEVER stepped foot into a gym. I dont really need to lose weight (bli ayin hara) but I would like to get fit! I'm just scared to go for the first time, I wouldn't even know how to use any of hte machines, and I'm probably too unccoordinated to follow a class!! embarrassed

purplegirl

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 12:54 pm
aussiegal wrote:
WOw! I am quite impressed with how many people go to the gym. I am SO lazy. I have NEVER stepped foot into a gym. I dont really need to lose weight (bli ayin hara) but I would like to get fit! I'm just scared to go for the first time, I wouldn't even know how to use any of hte machines, and I'm probably too unccoordinated to follow a class!! embarrassed
aussiegal, I thought the same way, and I was just so desperate that I walked into the gym and signed up. They had a mandatory orientation to teach you how to use the machines, and I'm sure the gym you choose will have one, and instructors available for help. When you're busy following a workout, you don't have time to see how uncoordinated other people are. I say, go for it! Very Happy

shayna82

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 12:59 pm
I got to an all ladies gym also. I wear regular work out clothing and a tichel, and Ih ave gotten only nice remarks, even woman who want to know where to get them from , in which I respond, heres my number, I sell them!!!

taylu

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 12:18 am
I go to curves and I wear a cute tichel that is bandana style but is a more complete covering. everyone knows that I am jewish, religious etc and they are in general fascinated by it all and asking questions.
and as s1 else pointed out - did YOU ever stop to think how weird e1 else looks? no, you're busy w ur regiment.
I'm still waiting for they day when s1 sees me in the changing room slipping the tichel off to replace w a shaitel!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise