Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Gluten free menu shavuos????

Tweedy

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 6:18 pm
I had my whole shavuos menu planned but now my sil found out she is allergic to gluten. Sad

they coming here first night. would you lovely ladies please, please help me out. Other than bread and pasta , I have no idea which ingredients I cant use. everything I meantion, she cant eat. so what can I make???

thanks a lot

allrgymama

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 6:30 pm
How old is your SIL? Is she a grown-up, and will want to taste from many dishes? Or is she 12 and will nibble and not eat much? Consider if you really need to re-vamp your entire menu or just prepare one thing specific for her.

Where do you live? Supreme Health carries a variety of products to accommodate a gluten-free diet and has locations in Brooklyn, Lakewood and Monsey (possibly also Williamsburg?) Some of the groceries here in Lakewood (like Shloimy's) also carry alternatives without having to make a special trip somewhere. Shop-rite in Lakewood also carries a few items from Zelda's, a company that makes exclusively gluten-free items (if you want to be able to serve something sweet without it compromising dessert for everyone).

Any other allergies or food-related considerations to take into account? For example, is it a gluten allergy (risk of hives, eczema or breathing related reactions) or celiac (in which case she'll have digestive-related problems if she eats something she shouldn't, but won't -- really extreme here -- die.)

As far as what foods are safe, speak with your MIL or SIL (if she's older and married and taking care of this by herself). Spelt, nut and rice flours should all be safe.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 6:31 pm
tell us what you were planning on making, and we'll help you adjust your menu

mama says

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 6:50 pm
Okay, its not as bad as you think. It takes a different way of looking at things. Think of it as if yor're cooking non-gebrokts. Our friend who can't have gluten enjoys Pesach the most b/c there are so many more things available. Are you making milchigs or fleishigs?

If you keep it simple, it makes it easier. Meaning, skip the kugels, pasta, and rice/pasta blends. My friend says that she doesn't mind the other food being out, just so she can eat a couple of things. I know you want her to feel more comfortable, though. Rice, potatoes, and quinoa are good sides. If you're using onion soup mix or powder, make sure it is Pesadik. Sauces can be a problem, but you might be able to try some homemade sauces or some from Pesach. Blintzes should be made w/ potato starch. Most spices are not a problem, you have to be careful of blends. The other thing you should keep in mind is cross contamination. If you're cooking on the stovetop don't use the spoon from the pasta to stir the rice. In the oven, cook food that she might eat covered. If you are serving gefilte fish, make sure it is w/o matza meal. I don't know what you have available, but Shindlers gefilte fish is gluten free. One other ingredient that can be problematic is soy sauce, so check it out if you are using it.

Is this making any sense? I hope so. If you have any more questions, let me know. I'm sure that there are lots of people who know more than me on this site, but I know from experience its very daunting trying to figure it all out.

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 8:19 pm
first of all it's really not as hard as you think. there is gluten free pasta available at many stores - the best brand is tinkyada which is available online and in many regular supermarkets. There are also many gluten free breadcrumbs available. Anything cooked that calls for a little flour (as a thickener or binder) can easily be replaced by potato starch, corn starch or tapioca starch. baking is trickier so stay away from that. if u really have a hard time finding these things, google the gluten free shoppe - its a kosher store in boro park and you can order from their website and have things shipped anywhere. so some ideas for a dairy gluten free meal: gluten free pasta made the same way you make regular pasta, eggplant parmesan, fish, crustless quiche, rice, quinoa, soup, salads, cheese cake or chocalate mousse (many recipes don't have flour and if you can't find one look at a pesach cookbook).

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 8:35 pm
I'm the amother above. I saw that someone mentioned soy sauce and that was a good point. there is a brand that sells gluten free soy sauce and teriyaki sauce that I see all the time in regular supermarkets called san-j. for other sauces and processed foods, ask your sil what ingredients she knows to look for and avoid. some people are a lot stricter than others and she may not be concerned if there are slight traces of gluten in her food. however, it is also possible that she will be affected from even the smallest amount in which case you would have to be very careful about every ingredient you use and cross contamination. so you really need to speak to her about that. also some ppl eat oats and others do not, so that's another thing to keep in mind. corn flake crumbs and bbq sauce are other ingredients that often contain small amounts of gluten.

if you're doing a meat meal, I'm sure most of the ways you make meat and chicken do not contain gluten. if you want it breaded then you can buy gluten free bread crumbs or conflake crumbs. kugels are harder, but there are a lot of kugel recipes that are ok, like most potato kugels, many broccoli kugels, and others. or make pesach kugels. again, rice and quinoa both make great sides and you can also do alot with potatoes and sweet potatoes. if you want to make a soup with barley, substitute rice. look for pesachdik gefilte fish or just look at the ingredients - a few brands don't have gluten. I hope this helps.

Tweedy

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 9:43 pm
she is 21, celiac, and its going to be a meaty seuda.

thanks

cbsmommy

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 9:45 pm
allrgymama wrote:
How old is your SIL? Is she a grown-up, and will want to taste from many dishes? Or is she 12 and will nibble and not eat much? Consider if you really need to re-vamp your entire menu or just prepare one thing specific for her.

Where do you live? Supreme Health carries a variety of products to accommodate a gluten-free diet and has locations in Brooklyn, Lakewood and Monsey (possibly also Williamsburg?) Some of the groceries here in Lakewood (like Shloimy's) also carry alternatives without having to make a special trip somewhere. Shop-rite in Lakewood also carries a few items from Zelda's, a company that makes exclusively gluten-free items (if you want to be able to serve something sweet without it compromising dessert for everyone).

Any other allergies or food-related considerations to take into account? For example, is it a gluten allergy (risk of hives, eczema or breathing related reactions) or celiac (in which case she'll have digestive-related problems if she eats something she shouldn't, but won't -- really extreme here -- die.)

As far as what foods are safe, speak with your MIL or SIL (if she's older and married and taking care of this by herself). Spelt, nut and rice flours should all be safe.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!
Spelt contains gluten! Spelt is NOT gluten free!!!!!

cbsmommy

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 10:04 pm
mama says wrote:
Okay, its not as bad as you think. It takes a different way of looking at things. Think of it as if yor're cooking non-gebrokts. Our friend who can't have gluten enjoys Pesach the most b/c there are so many more things available. Are you making milchigs or fleishigs?

If you keep it simple, it makes it easier. Meaning, skip the kugels, pasta, and rice/pasta blends. My friend says that she doesn't mind the other food being out, just so she can eat a couple of things. I know you want her to feel more comfortable, though. Rice, potatoes, and quinoa are good sides. If you're using onion soup mix or powder, make sure it is Pesadik. Sauces can be a problem, but you might be able to try some homemade sauces or some from Pesach. Blintzes should be made w/ potato starch. Most spices are not a problem, you have to be careful of blends. The other thing you should keep in mind is cross contamination. If you're cooking on the stovetop don't use the spoon from the pasta to stir the rice. In the oven, cook food that she might eat covered. If you are serving gefilte fish, make sure it is w/o matza meal. I don't know what you have available, but Shindlers gefilte fish is gluten free. One other ingredient that can be problematic is soy sauce, so check it out if you are using it.

Is this making any sense? I hope so. If you have any more questions, let me know. I'm sure that there are lots of people who know more than me on this site, but I know from experience its very daunting trying to figure it all out.

To clarify further, pesachdik isn't enough. Matzah meal is pesachdik, but it is not gluten free.

For the OP-
Gluten is a protein in wheat, barley, rye, and spelt.
Obvious sources of gluten include: flour, oatmeal cereals, ice cream cones, pasta, twizzlers, wheat based cereal, couscous, pasta, schnitzel coating, matzah meal, beer, tempeh, whole wheat, bulgar, barley malt.

But, gluten can also be 'hidden' inside foods and therefore you can't make a blanket statement that all x contains gluten. Some brands of x may be fine. Some brands may contain gluten.

Let me give you a real example. Pretend x is soy sauce. Real soy sauce is made by fermenting wheat and soy. As a result, many brands of soy sauce contain gluten (kikoman for example). Marinades (some teriyaki sauces, bbq sauces, salad dressings) that are made from real wheat soy sauce therefore contain gluten. Other brands take short cuts when making soy sauce (think LaChoy) and they are entirely soy based. Things that are made from this type of soy sauce are gluten free. As a result, you can have one teriyaki salmon that contains gluten, and another that does not.

Another example is x is rice cereal. Barley malt is commonly used as a sweetener in foods because it is cheaper than molasses. Regular rice krispies are made with barley malt. They come in a blue box and are NOT gluten free. The new special brown rice krispies are made with molasses. They come in a yellow box and ARE gluten free.

Pretend x stands for a brand of dried beans. Some dried beans are produced on the same machinery that processes barley. Those brands are not gluten free. It's not that ALL dried beans are bad, just that some brands are not safe.

One final example, onion soup mixes are commonly made with wheat/matzah meal (it's an excellent thickener.) Osem soup mix (while Pesachdik) contains traces of gluten. In comparison, goodman's is gluten free.

Common places for gluten to hide (so read the label carefully) include: soy sauce, marinades, bbq sauce, cereals, soup mixes, canned goods, rice mixes, ice creams, candies, (and for some reason I saw on a package of brown sugar that it was produced on the same machinery.)

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 10:52 pm
While oats don't always contain gluten, they're often processed with grains that do, but you can get gluten-free oats.
Also, if you live near a Trader Joe's they have the yummiest gluten-free snickerdoodles that have a CRC hechsher. (Anon because I think those cookies will give me away!!) They also sell gluten-free bread.
But to echo above amothers, rice flour is great and potato starch is fine. There is a lot of food you can make.
For main course, you can obviously serve chicken or meat just don't add anything with gluten (as above amother listed.) Sides can definitely be rice, or any potato dishes. Sweet potatoes. Potato kugel. Broccoli/cauliflower kugels. You can make a spaghetti salad with gluten-free pasta such as rice noodles. I even once had this awesome spaghetti squash pasta dish- amazing! That reminds me of squashes. All gluten-free. Acorn, butternut, zucchini. Use them in salads/kugels or as their own dishes. Yum! Roasted chestnuts. Tzimmes. You can make a meat lasagna with rice lasagna noodles. (Keep in mind for all rice noodles that cooking time is shorter than wheat noodles. Look at the directions!)
For fish you can make really yummy salmon dishes. You can make fish kebobs if you're into that, with cut up teriyaki salmon (watch out for gluten-free teriyaki!) fried onions and peppers on kebob sticks. Or you can just bake salmon.
Soup is pretty easy if you're serving soup since most soups can be yummy without adding any gluten soup mix. You can make a yummy butternut squash soup.
Make sure to pick up gluten-free challah from a store though! (I don't recommend baking it yourself. I tried gluten-free bread once and wasn't successful, although my poor cooking skills shouldn't dictate your move, but I really think it's a potchke.
Wow. Now I'm hungry.
Oh, and for desert, you can try this thing I've always been meaning to try and let me know how it comes out:
http://chocolatecoveredkatie.c.....-pie/
She also posts a link from there to gluten free blondies if you want to do that instead. Make sure to use gluten free oats.
Good luck! Feel free to post your menu when you're done, whatever you end up doing!

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 10:56 pm
Last amother here: Just wanted to comment on the deep-dish cookie pie that a lot of people recommended using less sugar because it was so sweet. Read the comments on the recipe for more.

mommish613

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 9:33 am
Hey I have this identical situation, some ideas...

fish (salmon or other not gefilte)
chicken soup
meat or chicken (can use corn flake crumbs to bread so long as there is no malt)
sides: red potatoes, grilled veggies, any rice, string beans...
desserts: chocolate mousse, sorbet etc.

allrgymama

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 10:23 am
If you live near one, the Stop and Shop right out of Lakewood has tags all over the store identifying gluten-free products. I would assume that's a franchise-wide policy.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 12:30 pm
don't use store bought sauces.
just make potatoes, rice, or quinoa as side dishes. do not use store bought soup mixes or spice mixes (onion powder and garlic powder might be an issue too, don't use any spice that says powder, that means it's not pure) to make these. fresh onion, fresh garlic, salt, black pepper, dried herbs and seeds.
it doesn't have to be complicated.
let us know if you need help with flavoring a specific dish.

MamaBear

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 4:38 pm
Post a bunch of things you might make and we can make the menu gluten free for you.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 7:23 am
Hi,
I'm currently off wheat which is granted much simpler then being off all gluten but I went away recently after telling the hostess and lets just say I wanted to cry at the meal ( ok I'm emotional and have food issues I admit it). I commend you for trying to make the menu gluten free because trust me it's probably hard enough on your SIL without having to see foods she likes and always ate but can't anymore sitting in front of her while she forces down food she might not care for. Which brings me to the second point-ask you your SIL what she likes- and if she wants to maybe bring something. no it's not rude, especially people you are hopefully comfortable with- yes some people prefer it- my birth family (not my husband and daughter is on an extremely strict diet and they sometimes prefer to just bring their own. I had my mother over and couldn't make my regular food- she's more then just gluten free, so I tried new food and you know what I liked them and made them the next week also so who knows it might be a good experience for you. I brought some of my own and my only regret is not bringing more would have made it easier on everyone involved.
Just want to reiterate- spelt is not gluten free! buckwheat is though so kasha's ok. Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics