Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Studying Art without Life Drawing

techiemom

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 11:14 am
A former high-school art student of mine would like to study art, particularly illustration. Most programs that I know of require life-drawing. She is willing to study anywhere in U.S., Canada or Israel. Other than Stern College, can anyone recommend a program that she can take? (And yes, we know the arguments about not really being able to draw the human figure without studying anatomy, but... ). Thanks for any advice.

crl

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 11:30 am
A friend of mine studied at SVA and what she did is she drew the women and asked the instructor to have the men keep their underwear on.

That being said, most mainstream art programs require life drawing, which is by definition nude.

Emunah College in Israel may be an option: http://www.emunah.org/ and they use clothed models, otherwise, she can always ask mainstream programs if she can either exempt, work from images by herself, or perhaps work another solution out with the professors.

She also should look into different programs; maybe take an alternate course program and either specialize or take extra classes in illustration, cartooning, inking, etc?

syrima

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 12:30 pm
Other than Stern or Emunah, there is nothing else out there in fine arts for a frum girl, AFAIK.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions