Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Changing Bed Linen at Home
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

How often do you change the bed linen in your house?
once a week  
 24%  [ 24 ]
once every two weeks  
 37%  [ 37 ]
once a month unless it must be done before  
 39%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 100

ButterflyGarden

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 10:22 pm
White sheets is a minhag. In fact, our posek specifically told DH that we she never do it!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 8:03 am
granolamom wrote:

a related question...I got new linens three years ago and now the sheets are threadbare, infact, dh pointed out a few holes in his this morning. seems like they should last longer, no?
the duvets, pillowcases are fine. its just the sheets.

What's the thread count on it? The higher the thread count, the longer it lasts...

About white linen: some hold you need white pjs and white linen, some hold only one or the other...every rav has his own psak, and that's what you should follow. If you use white linen, there is no need to put it on before the zayin nekiim, and some rabbonim say that it's better to only put it on before you go to sleep at night, and put it away when you wake up to hide what stage you're at, though I don't understand why not covering up with a blanket should be enough...

happy2beme

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 8:12 am
Quote:
a related question...I got new linens three years ago and now the sheets are threadbare, infact, dh pointed out a few holes in his this morning. seems like they should last longer, no?
the duvets, pillowcases are fine. its just the sheets.

my linen was also 3 y o & only the sheets became threadbare, too. I asked the frum store I bought it at & he said it should last around 3-5 yrs- depending on how often u use it... plus the softer the sheets/ higher the thread count- the faster it will become threadbare.
I just ordered new sheets

S.Shcwartz

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 9:59 am
I'm wondering the same thing, if u use white linen, only I get to have clean sheets, so how does it work? I change on the mikveh night, and then get all confused about when to change again cuz then comes shiva nekiam and... Confused

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 5:44 pm
I change my linen every week, and my kids every other week.

ltlesmartmom

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 10:34 pm
I just put on a white sheet!

amother

Post Sat, Dec 30 2006, 6:49 pm
BIG GULP. Ok- can someone please please tell me that I'm not a disgusting gross and dirty person? Please tell me that I'm not a horrible wife?
To tell you the truth, my mom didn't change our linen very often, so maybe I learned it from her... or maybe I'm just making excuses... but I only change about every EIGHT WEEKS.
There. I said it.
(as you can see, I'm posting anonymously!)

P.S. We don't have a washing machine. I have to go to the laundromat.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 30 2006, 6:53 pm
As kids we changed each week. We also bathed or showered every night, too....I could never make it 8 weeks though!

amother

Post Sat, Dec 30 2006, 6:56 pm
I think pillowcases should be changed more often, though. Drool and acne-wise.

Sorry if TMI.

greenfire

Post Sat, Dec 30 2006, 7:42 pm
I think sheets should be changed every week - however it's not so easy for me to do. Definately must be changed for guests - I don't care how close they are to you. I have gone away only to have to sleep on smelly sheets and my son told me he couldn't sleep cause bed stunk - so we had to go somewhere else after shabbos. Lucky this was possible w/o anyone knowing.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 31 2006, 5:44 am
8 weeks is way too long-it's actually really gross!
Why dont you b uy another set of linen so you dont have to go to the laundromat so often?

mod

Post Sun, Dec 31 2006, 6:57 am
Three threads on this topic were merged to the one with the highest number of poll respondents. Check, you may have to vote again.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 11:26 am
Just a nachas note: I'm the amother who posted that I hardly change my linen. Well, you all made me feel so guilty- in a good way, I guess! Very Happy that I've changed the linen twice since then (=every 2 weeks) and plan to try to continue that way. I guess I just never really thought about it, but the linen does feel much fresher and nicer all the time now.
Very Happy

miriam

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 12:19 pm
Amother, yasher koach. Keep up the good work.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry