Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Neighbor In My Apt Bldg Left 18 Month Old Son in Highchair
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 4:32 pm
Goodness. I was waiting for my son's bus. I live in an apartment building. A neighbor casually mentions that she left her 18 month old (possibly 16 month old, not sure) eating upstairs in his high chair. Um, hello? Are you insane? What if he stands up/falls? What if he ch'v chokes? What is wrong with people?!?! I like a klutz didn't say a/t cuz I sort of have a reputation here as being overprotective. So I don't make any comments or a/t to a/o about their children. (Mothers here send down 2.5 year olds to be watched by very young siblings.) I can't get to myself.

amother

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 4:33 pm
Is he buckled up?

faigie

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 4:37 pm
being buckled in isnt a sustitute for supervision

amother

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 4:42 pm
One or 2 times I left my baby in the highchair- BUCKLED and tray all the way up to her, of course, and door locked for about 1 min at a time while I run in at out of the house shlepping grocery bags in- if my dh is not home. She was watching a video, and no food was around. I thought that was safer then anything- it was rlly in and out for a min each time for a total of 4, 5 min maybe, the while thing. WHat should I do, I cant shlep her with me and the bags, and I cant le tmy stuff sit in a hot car. not ideal I know.

amother

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 4:55 pm
No idea if the child was strapped in or not. Even if he was, my kids always got out from the straps. And what if he choked or s/t? This wasn't for a minute. She was downstairs for at least 10 minutes!

little_mage

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 5:05 pm
amother wrote:
One or 2 times I left my baby in the highchair- BUCKLED and tray all the way up to her, of course, and door locked for about 1 min at a time while I run in at out of the house shlepping grocery bags in- if my dh is not home. She was watching a video, and no food was around. I thought that was safer then anything- it was rlly in and out for a min each time for a total of 4, 5 min maybe, the while thing. WHat should I do, I cant shlep her with me and the bags, and I cant le tmy stuff sit in a hot car. not ideal I know.

I do the same. I buckle my son in and give him a toy or two while I haul bags up the stairs and put stuff away. He still doesn't particularly like it, but it's better then dumping him in the crib, because at least he can see me. Of course, he also has never managed to get out of the straps yet-if he did it even once, I would probably reconsider.

amother

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 5:19 pm
Crib sounds safer to me. So what if the kid cries? There's always a first time figuring out the straps, right? Confused

kb

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 5:31 pm
And there's always a first for climbing out of a crib.

amother

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 5:39 pm
kb wrote:
At 18 months? Wow, I guess I just never had that. My kids at that age were too little for that to happen Smile

MrsDash

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 5:41 pm
I love what people consider "overprotective parenting."

This woman was being completely irresponsible. If anyone wants to think it's overprotective of me to feel this way, go right ahead.

Happy 2B

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 6:40 pm
seems totally irresponsible to me especially if he had food. If no food and strapped not as bad. It's better than the bath tub but not ideal.

Why didn't she bring the baby with her? There's usually little excuse for leaving a child in the apartment. Of course if you are carrying up groceries yes you have to leave the child somewhere and leaving them in the apartment that is child proof is 1000 times better than leaving them in the car.

superjew

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 6:45 pm
Not to hijack but nothing beats my neighbors! We were coming home one night (about 9-10pm) and we see our neighbors going on a stroll (they have a son that was about under 1 or so at the time) so I casually asked "Oh, wheres your son, whos watching him?"
They nonchalantly answer "Oh! He's sleeping in his crib" ALONE! He was home alone while they took a stroll around the block!!!!!! shock Question Rolling Eyes shock

Happy 2B

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 6:46 pm
superjew wrote:
Not to hijack but nothing beats my neighbors! We were coming home one night (about 9-10pm) and we see our neighbors going on a stroll (they have a son that was about under 1 or so at the time) so I casually asked "Oh, wheres your son, whos watching him?"
They nonchalantly answer "Oh! He's sleeping in his crib" ALONE! He was home alone while they took a stroll around the block!!!!!! shock Question Rolling Eyes shock

shock shock shock

amother

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 8:00 pm
My friend leaves her 2.5 child to play in the bathtub himself and checks on him "every so often".

Another friend goes on 1/2 hour walks w/her husband and has left 2 children sleeping. "Oh. They never wake up this time".

Mental.

amother

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 8:06 pm
amother wrote:
My friend leaves her 2.5 child to play in the bathtub himself and checks on him "every so often".

Mental.

I think this person should be reported. And no I don't think you have to ask the Rabbi's permission first. I think one of these children could die today or tomorrow because no one did anything! that's terrible!!! Leaving a child in the bath?

anotherima

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 8:16 pm
One time I was visiting a friend shabbos morning and noticed that her shabbos blech looked dangerous, it was not on the oven the whole way and sticking out but I didn't say anything. Sure enough, after I went home, her two year old pulled the blech off the oven and her one year old baby crawled on the hot blech, forcing them to run to the hospital.
Ever since then I do not hesitate in telling people that something is not safe for their children, like when my sister used to leave her ten year old daughter upstairs sleeping while taking a power walk for an hour outside. What if there was a fire? Let people think I am neurotic but most of them don't and thank me.
May Hashem watch over all of our children and keep them safe.

GingerSpice

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 8:20 pm
amother wrote:
kb wrote:
At 18 months? Wow, I guess I just never had that. My kids at that age were too little for that to happen Smile

my son was way earlier than that... you never know.

OP not overreacting in my book...

amother

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 8:21 pm
I will never ever forget an incident that happened around 13 years ago. I was around 13, babysitting for my younger brother who was probably about a year old, and I left him alone in a room to play for a few minutes with safe toys, etc.
I went to my own bedroom to look for a cassette (cassettes!) and I had a hard time finding it. I figured he was safe, right? I kept searching. Finally after like 8 minutes, I got a funny feeling that I had to check on him and I felt uncomfortable about leaving him alone.
By the time I got to the room I could hear muffled crying. My poor baby brother had crawled underneath a bed, and while underneath, decided to sit up. Since the bed was very low he was trapped in a sitting hunched over/suffocating position and could barely breathe. His face was reddish/blue and his cries were very weak. Baruch Hashem I pulled him out and everything was okay. I felt so very guilty about leaving him and still feel bad until this day.
I shudder every time I think about it. Anything can happen in a second. I don't know what message that sends because obviously we don't shadow our children every single waking second and sometimes we look away, but babies need CONSTANT supervision. Going outside for 10 minutes and leaving a toddler in the house?? shock

amother

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 11:09 pm
OP dunno why youre freaking out. In an apt building with a bunch of other families you're sure to find such chilled out (aka irresponsible) mothers like this one.

I live in a building too & I do not let my 3 & 5 yr old play in the hall without adult supervision because I have no idea which jerk or stranger is roaming the halls. But my kids are the only ones that age that arent allowed alone in the hall!!!

I have a neighbor that lets her 1 yr old toddle up & down the huge flights of stone steps all alone & checks up on her every so often. This same mother leaves her 1 & 3 yr olds home alone while running down to the buses day after day.

But Ive never said a peep. It is none of my business & I also know that my kind of overprotective parenting isnt necessarily popular or admired by all...

I would never leave my kids with a baby monitor even while running down for a second so I cant for the life of me understand what these mothers are thinking.

Sherri

Post Thu, May 24 2012, 11:35 pm
amother wrote:

Another friend goes on 1/2 hour walks w/her husband and has left 2 children sleeping. "Oh. They never wake up this time".

Mental.
I hope you've let them know what you think about they are doing. shock
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics