Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
My kids snack on too much junk!

Chloe

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 10:25 am
My kids do not take healthy snacks to school. I need help in coming up with healthy yet good stuff so that they do not feel deprived when most of their classmates bring all this junk to school.

I want to revamp my kids' eating habits especially snacks!! They eat breakfast and lunch in school which you can imagine is not the healthiest, at least let them eat healthy snacks. (They do eat fruits and veggies and a healthy dinner at home)

Please help me by sharing some healthy and yummy recipes (almond flour, whole wheat flour etc)

Cookies, cupcakes, bars, cakes.

Thank you

SS6099

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 12:41 pm
I bake with whole wheat flour only. Chocolate chip cookies and chocolate cake work great! Especially with white whole wheat flour.
Go to overtimecook.com. She has great muffin recipes that are healthy and delicious.

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 1:16 pm
I make dev80's oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with the following changes. I get RAVE reviews on them!

Double the cinnamon.
Use white whole wheat flour in place of regular.
For the last 1/2 c. flour, instead use half flaxseed meal and half wheat germ/oat bran.
Add about 3/4 c. sunflower seeds (and pumpkin seeds, if you have).
Use 3/4 c. raisins in place of chocolate chips.

YUM!

1 C. oil
3/4 C. brown sugar
3/4 C. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 C. flour (I do 1/2 cup whole wheat, and one cup regular, but feel free to experiment)
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 1/2 cups oatmeal
2 cups chocolate chips (I find this is to much, so I do like one cup)

1)preheat oven to 350
2)in a large bowl, cream oil and sugars
3)add vanilla and egg and mix
3)combine flour, baking soda, and salt and stir into creamed mixture (I'm lazy and don't want to wash two bowls, so I just throw these right into the main bowl)
4)add oatmeal and chocolate chips and stir well
5)drop onto greased cookie sheets and cook for like 15 minutes

curlgirl

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 1:23 pm
I'll once again recommend this site:

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/

Lots of recipes using dates (instead of chocolate), beans, tofu etc. that taste really good!

de_goldy

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 2:03 pm
I recommend using subbing spelt flour rather than whole wheat flour. It has a less "healthy" taste.

I just made these muffins and they came out delicious.

Banana Muffins

3.5 cups spelt flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp wheat germ

2/3 cup olive oil
1 cup honey
4 eggs
3/4 cup almond milk (or rice milk)
2 cups ripe mashed banana (approx 4 bananas).

optional: regular or mini choc chips. (I used mini but I also made mini muffins)

The key with this recipe is to use very, very overripe bananas so it will be sweeter. I keep bananas in the fridge until the peel is dark brown all over. Then I use them as a sweetener in baking or ices.

Mix liquid ingredients together. Add dry ingredients, mix. Bake on 325 for about 15 mins.

But in terms of overall food - can you give them a good breakfast before school? That way you know 2/3 meals are decent.

rikki!

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 4:33 pm
Some of the many great snack ideas from around the web- your kids will love'em!

celery and/or carrots with dip - popular dips among kids may include ranch, hummus, creamy italian dressing, bean dip, cream cheese, and other soft cheeses. Try other raw vegetables too, like cucumbers, zucchini and bell pepper slices.

popcorn - make the light butter or unbuttered kind. Try season salt, cinnamon sugar, and anything else you can think of to spice it up.

dried fruit - everyone knows about raisins, but don't forget all the other wonderful dried fruits available. Dried cranberries, plums, mangos and other tropical fruits are sweet like candy. Due to their natural sugar content they should be served in moderation but definitely in place of processed sweets.

trail mix - make your own by mixing together peanuts, raisins, chocolate chips, mini pretzels, granola, and other sweet and salty ingredients. Keep the high sugar sweets to a minimum.

fresh fruit - different varieties of melon cut into chunks, whole strawberries and pineapple wedges are fun and colorful. Use rounded toothpicks to let kids make their own kabobs or mix several fruits together to make a quick fruit salad.

hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking