Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Summer reading
Previous  1  2  3

Motek

Post Sun, Aug 20 2006, 12:00 pm
also:

One Shining Moment - Spero (Artscroll)

Free the Children

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....83155

Rabbi Of 84th Street

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....83155

healthymama

Post Sat, Aug 26 2006, 11:04 pm
so what did you think of off the derech ? I heard it was interesting.

Shimmysmom

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:42 am
motek when do u do your reading? I have a really long reading wish list that I never seem to have time to get througha tenth of!!!!

Motek

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 11:03 am
healthymama wrote:
so what did you think of off the derech ? I heard it was interesting.

I wrote about it in the "children on the fringe" thread. In short, interesting but many, many wrong ideas/hashkafos.

shimmysmom - when? in between posts Twisted Evil

healthymama

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 4:23 pm
I read over that thread and you seem to have liked it a lot. What sort of hashkafos does she present that are wrong ? How wrong are they ? I was thinking of buying it for a friend's daughter. Does it depend on whether they are chassidish ?

busymom

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 4:50 pm
I'm a BIG reader, and I've read so much I can recommend somthing for any topic anyone's interested in.

I've read the Bielski book mentioned above and it is fascinating. Worth reading. Don't know why that story isn't better known in frum circles.

I've read Off the Derech and although I didn't agree with everything the author wrote, it is very thought provoking and she makes some very good points. Anyone interested in the "on the fringe" crisis should read it.

For spiritual reading, I've read some Akiva Tatz, as well as "What the Angel Taught You" by Noach Weinberg and Yaakov Salomon.

I also love the Chickensoup series. For something like that in Jewish reading - short stories about ordinary ppl - try Well Put and Well Put 2 by A.M. Amitz. (Her column also appears in Mishpacha magazine.)

For humor reading, I loved Sophie Kinsalez (don't think I spelled the last name right) Shopaholic series. It's hilarious! perfect for when you need a good laugh. The first in the series is called "Confessions of a Shopaholic"

I also enjoy reading about women in different cultures, like Arab women for example. Their stories can be horrifying and fascinating - and maybe some of you will beat me up for even being interested in them. My Forbidden Face is one example of a young woman who spent her teen years under Taliban rule in Afghanistan.

I can go on forever, but I guess this list is long enough! Very Happy Happy reading everyone!

busymom

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 6:34 pm
Oops. Just realized that the Bielski book I read is not the same as mentioned above. I think mine was called Defiance: The Bielski Partisans. But I think both are very good.

Motek

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 7:25 pm
healthymama wrote:
I read over that thread and you seem to have liked it a lot.

I'm puzzled by that since I just went to check on what I wrote and found this:

Quote:
My brother-in-law lent me his copy and I just started reading it. He told me it's 80% fine and 20% not fine hashkafos.

I asked one of the rabbis interviewed for the book what he thought of the book and told him my brother-in-law's assessment. He said:

Quote:
The part that has to do with how to relate to the kids, how to talk to them, how to deal with them -- thats OK. The Hashkafa part is horrible. I would say a lot less than 80% ours.

It's interesting nonetheless.

Quote:
What sort of hashkafos does she present that are wrong ? How wrong are they ?

Numerous points that she doesn't get right about emuna etc. Nothing to do with chasidish. The rabbi quoted above is not chasidish.

Quote:
I was thinking of buying it for a friend's daughter.

For what purpose?

It's meant for parents and educators.

healthymama

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 9:13 pm
I was going to buy it for the friend. Her daughter is a little more modern than the mom would like.

baby's mom

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 1:17 am
Quote:
I also enjoy reading about women in different cultures, like Arab women for example. Their stories can be horrifying and fascinating - and maybe some of you will beat me up for even being interested in them. My Forbidden Face is one example of a young woman who spent her teen years under Taliban rule in Afghanistan.

Who's the author?

Motek

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 1:02 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
I also read "The Nazi Officer's Wife" and really enjoyed that. It was an amazing story and gave me a lot to think about.

I'm almost finished it. Read it because it was mentioned here Smile .

Very good read, hard to put down.

So poignant - the terrible assimilation in Austria, that when it came Chanuka not ONE Jewish girl could remember the bracha Sad

And being the Nazi officer's wife wasn't a "Jewish dilemma" for her since dating non jews was no big deal to her. What's not made perfectly clear in the book is that her boyfriend Pepi was 100% gentile even though he thought of himself as Jewish.

Motek

Post Sun, Nov 05 2006, 4:28 pm
re the previous post - there's a book called, "They Called Me Frau Anna"
by Chana Marcus Banet about a frum woman with two children who became a housemaid of a Nazi. Different perspective than the Nazi Officer's Wife because she's frum and she didn't tell them she was Jewish.

Goldrose6

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 7:36 pm
I love to read all books that have word and even some that dont but personally I always end up going back to the classics like Marcus Lehmann's book or the golem series and much more also the lost children of tarshish are good books. Yair Weinstock's pretty good and so is Eli Shekhter but they are very predictable
anyways I could go on and on on this subject its one of my fav. but I'll leave off here
just to recap old ones the best great imagination

Flowerchild

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 8:09 pm
I am in the middle of Ursula Hegi book, stones from the river, so far its intriguing, and its peculiar to see her view of germany during both world wars, it concentrates on a zwerg-dworf girl and her experiences and what happens to her and her jewish friends through the wars, its very slowly written, but its developed wonderfully and the writing is very easy and smooth and very mature and flowing.

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 07 2006, 5:58 pm
Goldrose6 wrote:
I love to read all books that have word and even some that dont

Question

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Nov 07 2006, 7:11 pm
Lillyofthevalley wrote:
I am in the middle of Ursula Hegi book, stones from the river, so far its intriguing, and its peculiar to see her view of germany during both world wars, it concentrates on a zwerg-dworf girl and her experiences and what happens to her and her jewish friends through the wars, its very slowly written, but its developed wonderfully and the writing is very easy and smooth and very mature and flowing.

It's such a fantastic book! Enjoy it!

Flowerchild

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 1:02 am
defy, what did you think about the book?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room