Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Meshloach Mones to teachers

Chanie

Post Mon, Mar 07 2005, 2:15 pm
This is the first year that I have to think about this. What so you give your children's teachers? Do you give a really nice meshloach mones? or do you give the same thing you give to your friends? Do you give the teachers a gift too. If you do, wht kind of thing do you give? Do you give the same thing to the teacher as to the assistants? My son goes to a home day care and there are 2 others who tak care of the children as well as the person whos house it's in.
I really need help on this one. Thanks.

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 8:56 am
We give teachers a nice wine (not the most expencive, though) and something else in a nice box. Put it into a box, decorated by the child & wrap with plastic + a bow.

Assistants, we give a regular small mishloah manot, in a box decorated by the child w/ some extra stuffing

dina

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 9:00 am
what kind of a box? the ones from the dollar stores?

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 9:05 am
Not a specific box - just any small box that will fit a bottle of wine + 1 more thing

Last edited by ForeverYoung on Sun, Apr 10 2005, 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

dina

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 9:07 am
that's funny...same box for teachers and assistants? I like the idea of the kids decorating the box...now I'm trying to think of a box to use...any ideas?

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 9:14 am
u can buy those mugs / flower pots in which you can insert a decorated paper,
or make boxes yourself from cardboard.

Quote:
same box for teachers and assistants?

they don't know it's the same

Last edited by ForeverYoung on Sun, Apr 10 2005, 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tila

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 11:50 am
I give thro tomchei shabbos, but for those not on the list there is the pantree of life cards or of course make your own! The dollar store has these cute boxes that look like tool boxes. They are plastic

lucy

Post Sat, Mar 12 2005, 9:37 pm
As for giving the same for assistants and teachers, please take note just because people have the title of assistant does't mean thye do less work than the teacher. In most cases it's the same just different.

Though if it's an assistant that is not there the whole day, ex: 1/2hr or something then I would probably give a smaller one.

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 5:57 am
I am planning on giving the same to everybody, teachers, friends, family and co workers.

basmalkah

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 11:20 am
As a teacher, I can say that we don't expect anything too extravagant or fancy. Please DO NOT spend too much money on us! It's the thought that counts! Remember what the mitzvah requires of us and don't overdo it!
Good luck!
Happy Purim.

lucy

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 12:07 pm
You know a simple Shaloch manis with a thank you card is the nicest.

curlyhead

Post Sun, Mar 20 2005, 1:03 am
if there are 5 teacher incl assisatants do you have to give all of them?

AweSumThenSum

Post Sun, Mar 20 2005, 5:01 am
I give the same mishloach manos to the teachers/rebbeim but I add a gift. usually it is a silver miniature, but this year I'll take the easy way out and give a check (probably $20-$25 for teachers, double that for rebbe). as for teacher's assitants, they work harder and make less salary than the teachers themselves and so I used to give them the same amount (I use past tense cuz my kids are older and they passed the stage where there are assistants in the class). whatever u give (or dont give), always add a nice little note of appreciation. that goes a long way in making the recipient feel special.

Chanie

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 8:03 am
I always thought that one gives a gift to the teachers for Purim besides the regular basket, as awesum said. I always remember my father giving my brothers teachers a check... (my teachers he never gave to) and I was actually looking for ideas on what it would be that could be inexpensive, yet nice and thoughtful.

queenie

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 4:44 pm
I give shaloch manos to all the teachers and the assistants, even the receptionist bc they help out a lot too and no one ever thinks of them.

I do agree that assistants may work hard but, they are not on the same level as the real teacher. That's why they are called assistants and don't get paid the same. Assistants don't write report cards, do the planning, report to a principal, phone the parents, write notes to parents and design a curriculum. Assistants don't go home with work to do once the day is over.

I like to give a gift at the end of the year to show my appreciation. I used to give at Chanuka bc it was the middle of the year but I thought that was too non jewish and I stopped.

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 4:53 pm
Quote:
We give teachers a nice wine (not the most expencive, though) and something else in a nice box. Put it into a box, decorated by the child & wrap with plastic + a bow

and
Quote:
No.
Hold your breath. Are u sitting?
An esrog box!!!!
(I collect them Sukkos time

Forever By us an esrog box is quite small how do you fit all that in there Confused Unless it's an expandable one Very Happy

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 6:06 pm
I leave it opened
the bottle takes up 1/2 of the box, and the other thing can be put behind it & wrapped in plastic
This year we gave out Challos lekovod Shabbos, so it fit in nicely & held together by plactic wrap & nice ties.

Beautiful Roze, by the way!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics