Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Which Ramot
1  2  Next

RachaelLeah

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 4:31 pm
Can anyone chime in and give me a better feel for the different areas of Ramot?
Our biggest criteria is price - we need the cheapest possible.
After that, we have been living in Israel for 7 years, and know Hebrew very well. We would like a place where there would be an American Rav, English shiurim and events/activities, etc, if possible given our first criteria, and it doesn't need to be a lot but some sort of American presence.
We are American Yeshivish, I guess you could say Chareidi, with 3 kids.
Thank you!

Zus

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 5:30 pm
There isn't an area in Ramot that fits all that.
Ramot aleph: some areas are cheap(er), but they're more run down and less anglo. The nicer anglo part is more expensive, and also not yeshivish but more DL or mixed.

Ramot Bet: Still on the cheaper end of Ramot. The anglo part is mixed/DL. The chareidi part is mainly sefardic, but also more and more chassidish.

Ramot Gimmel: Getting a bit more expensive. Good anglo presence, but they're mixed/DL.

Ramot Dalet: Not very expensive. Chareidi area. Not sure about the hashkafot or anglo presence.

Ramot Polin: Chareidi, non anglo, mainly litvish.

Ramot 06: Higer end and very mixed but does include lots of anglos, including american yesivish.

What do you call 'not expensive'?

Tweedy

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 8:20 pm
RachaelLeah wrote:
Can anyone chime in and give me a better feel for the different areas of Ramot?
Our biggest criteria is price - we need the cheapest possible.
After that, we have been living in Israel for 7 years, and know Hebrew very well. We would like a place where there would be an American Rav, English shiurim and events/activities, etc, if possible given our first criteria, and it doesn't need to be a lot but some sort of American presence.
We are American Yeshivish, I guess you could say Chareidi, with 3 kids.
Thank you!

when are you planning on moving? we might be neighbours Smile

when is your pilopt trip?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 10:21 pm
rachael leah-can you please post an email address? I have some info for you but would rather not "out" my screen name.

RachaelLeah

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 5:00 am
zus - this kind of info just makes my head spin Wink I wish it would all just be clearer. That's why the price benchmark, helps narrow down our options. We basically don't want to go more than 3500 shekels, and the lower the better. 2 bedrooms. So basically we want cheap with at least some Anglos, doesn't need to be tons. We are young Chareidi/yeshivish.
Tweedy - we've been in Israel for years Smile. Which part of Ramot do you live in?
amother - My email is harrisfamisrael @ gmail.com.

Tweedy

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 5:19 am
Haha sorry

Why are you planning on moving?

We making Aliya next year beesras hashem. I d also like the info please amother. Email bestozdeals@gmail.com

WastingTime

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 5:37 am
my parents live in 06. from what I see its mixed anglo/israeli but almost no charedim.
ramot gimmel is typical israeli charedi. there are some anglos there too.
ramot bet used to be a higherend american neighborhood but for the past bunch of yrs younger charedi famlies have moved in there too. maybe thats a good place?
whatever you choose ----good luck!!!

Hashemlovesme

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 8:54 am
There are some very frum areas of Ramot A-even a bunch of anglos

Liba

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 9:04 am
I have Anglo relatives in Ramot Polin.

Zus

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:27 pm
4sons wrote:
my parents live in 06. from what I see its mixed anglo/israeli but almost no charedim.
ramot gimmel is typical israeli charedi. there are some anglos there too.
ramot bet used to be a higherend american neighborhood but for the past bunch of yrs younger charedi famlies have moved in there too. maybe thats a good place?
whatever you choose ----good luck!!!

This is changing very fast. There is already a new yeshiva inside some house, and the new houses they're building are Shas.

Tweedy

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 5:44 am
One of our friends just informed me , rather not look at ramot gimmel as its close to arabs and a stabbing took place last year, has anyone heard of this?

he suggested ramot b , but thats were he is so not objective Very Happy also from what I read and hear bet is more sefardi , which he is....

ach I am so confused , did not think it would be so hard to find the right area in israel Sad

Zus

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 7:26 am
Let's hope that stabbing incident was a one time thing. Ramot bet and gimmel are both just as close to the arabs. There is a wadi in between Beit Iksa and Ramot. But after the incident, there is more security.

Zus

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 7:27 am
Look, it's all talking in the air here. You just need to come and see for yourself.

RachaelLeah

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 8:33 am
Tweedy, because of the high concentration of people per area, and even per street, and because of how people depend on their neighbors for a lot of there social community needs, it is EXTREMELY difficult to find the right place for yourself in Israel.

Tweedy

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 8:52 pm
You right zus, we just stressing so much and having second thoughts Sad

Have not heard of that incident though , who was stabbed and what was the out outcome?

I can't believe there is no American style litvish/yeshivish community.

Rachaellea have you moved yet? Or chosen a place?

I suppose we ll come and soon see how we go.

Zus

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 2:30 am
A 17 year old boy got stabbed on a shabbes afternoon buy some youth from Beit Iksa who had crossed the valley into Ramot. The boy is fine.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 3:31 am
Parts of Ramot bet are much closer to the Arabs than some parts of gimmel so you can't generalize by neighborhood. The frummer part of gimmel (lower down) is further away from the Arabs.I see some inaccurate info here. I wish I had time right now to address it more, but for now let me say the best thing is for you to see for yourself and talk to people who live there.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 3:33 am
Zus wrote:
A 17 year old boy got stabbed on a shabbes afternoon buy some youth from Beit Iksa who had crossed the valley into Ramot. The boy is fine.

B"H. And the Arab was caught.

Zus

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 3:36 am
amother wrote:
Parts of Ramot bet are much closer to the Arabs than some parts of gimmel so you can't generalize by neighborhood. The frummer part of gimmel (lower down) is further away from the Arabs.I see some inaccurate info here. I wish I had time right now to address it more, but for now let me say the best thing is for you to see for yourself and talk to people who live there.

What is inaccurate?

amother

Post Sat, Dec 14 2013, 5:51 pm
Did you end up choosing to move to Ramot? We sound similar and are considering Ramot. Would love an area like you described. Please give info!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions