Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
"Do as you please" AKA democratic Jewish school

roza

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 5:48 pm
http://jdemschool.tripod.com/a.....u.htm

Quote:

Democratic schools are proactive in their approach to education, but they replace the cries of 'teach them, teach them' with exhortations to 'trust them, trust them'. It is this trust that can produce children who study when they get bored, instead of children who get bored of their studies. It is this tolerance that can produce children who respect themselves and go on to respect others. It is in this atmosphere of freedom that Torah will survive as our children find intrinsic meaning in its words.

And yet another approach to Jewish education.

JRKmommy

Post Fri, Nov 17 2006, 7:07 am
Less structured schools work for some, but not others. I went to a somewhat "alternative" public high school that tried to reduce rules and structures, and place much of the responsibility for learning in the hands of the students. For me, personally, it was great and provided the sort of intellectual stimulation that most don't experience until university. For some others - the lack of structure was a disaster, since they couldn't handle adult responsibility, and the discipline was almost non-existant.

I don't know if this model would be similar - since it is a religious school, I assume that it may be smaller and show a bit more concern about its students. At my old high school, they literally wouldn't notice if a student was alive or dead.

Imaonwheels

Post Sat, Nov 18 2006, 10:22 am
Children need guidance. Their freedom must match their knowledge, judgement and maturity. Remember that education must have goals and a plan to reach them. To choose one needs knowledge. To achieve one needs self discipline both of these must be instilled. The shita does not need to change, but rather the point of origin of the teacher.

Motek

Post Sat, Nov 18 2006, 5:54 pm
Reminds of that post from someone somewhere about the school where the teacher asks her class whether they want to daven Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics