Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much does your family spend on food a week?
Previous  1  2

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 5:11 pm
You don't have to buy a roast for a Shabbos. yomtov is the only time red meat is served, halachically.

A few years ago, the butcher wouldn't even let me buy such things, he used to say that red meat is for yomtov and chopped meat is for everyday; chsicken for shabbos.

it wasn't like we owed him money either, or were fat. neither is true!

chayalife

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 9:59 pm
ha! like 60 dollars every 2 weeks at the meat store. 60 dollars every week for fruits and vegys and about 120 at grocery store. somtimes even more. diapers and wipes and paper I buy in bulk. family of 3. sounds like alot I guess. we eat alot and we do have guests on shabbas like 2 or 3 .sometimes during the week too.
so that equlas 250 a week more or less

lubcoralsprings

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 10:05 pm
I would say at least $300 per week because we eat a lot of vegtables and fruits and that costs at least 60-80 dollers per week. Milk is around $3 per half gallon and we drink one per day. I don't buy tons of snacks but healthy foods like rice, chicken, beans, etc. I try to stay away from Soda, juice, candy, and all the big expences. I go to walmart but always end up with more then I had orignally planned.

JMto2

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 9:36 am
Mini bagel now that you said what includes in your budget for weekly shopping it surely adds up formula and diapers alone are a budget to hold.
Sara G when we have guest I buy nosh and I buy more dips I make an extra salad or two I have to make more fish all this adds up.

Chayary

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 9:50 am
Having guests means different things to different families. We are just us and my preschooler eating, versus when we have guests we often have 12 people at each meal, easily. So that makes a huge difference in what I make and how much. For just us I can make soup for Fri night, and that's pretty much it. For company, that doesn't really work. So I think it's unrealistic to say you can have company without it affecting ones budget. For some people maybe, but not necessarily.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 9:56 am
SaraG wrote:
You don't have to buy a roast for a Shabbos. yomtov is the only time red meat is served, halachically.

A few years ago, the butcher wouldn't even let me buy such things, he used to say that red meat is for yomtov and chopped meat is for everyday; chsicken for shabbos.

it wasn't like we owed him money either, or were fat. neither is true!

I don't buy roast for a regular shabbos, only when I have guests.
Hence
My food bill is higher when I have guests.

I like the supermarket I shop at. All the meat and chicken is laid out nicely and I don't have to talk to any nosey butcher.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 9:59 am
I can't count on ever being "just us" for Shabbos, although sometimes it happens. So I always cook extra for guests which we may have or not. the food never gets wasted though, it's supper for Sunday and Monday. By Tuesday I have to cook again.

Marion

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 12:15 pm
120 shekel every 2 weeks in meat/chicken. 600 shekel once a month on staples (including cleaning supplies and toiletries). And another 200 shekel a week on dairy and produce. So that's 1040 a month, or about 260 a week, plus about 200 for formula and diapers, or 50 a week. So about 310 shekel a week. I think that's about $75.

Piper

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 1:17 pm
I spend about $100 to $150 dollars a week, even though we are a family of 4. However, one is a teenage boy! So, I think he counts as two or three people LOL

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 7:39 pm
I spend about 250-300 on an average week. Including-fish, meats, fruits & veggies, groceries, pharmaceuticals, etc.

lubcoralsprings

Post Sat, Nov 18 2006, 11:13 pm
I got to get some tips from you people because I can't possibly envision spending less then three hundred a week.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics