Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
First child, second child, third child...

yehudis

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 12:05 am
Do we treat our children differently depending on their birth order? How does it affect the children? Does it not matter any more after some number of children?

yehudis

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 12:10 am
I guess I should start. I think with my first I had higher expectations and was more anxious about her reaching milestones as soon as possible. When she had tantrums, I took them personally and tried to reason with her and got very upset when she behaved unreasonably.

With my second I am much more relaxed. When she doesn't get what she wants and drops on the floor kicking and screaming, I just pick her up and tell her calmly that we can't always have what we want and offer her several other options. And she just calms down.

sarahd

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 4:24 am
Do you think that would have worked with your oldest as well? Sometimes children just have different personalities. (off topic, I know.)

Rivk

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 7:01 am
I think that second children tend to have more self confidence, especially if they are the same gender as the first. I believe it's because we let them solve their own problems and don't "hover" as much as we do on our firsts.

smile

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 7:02 am
It does make a different because first of all you are more confident of yourself and that will show on the education and seconds like sarahd said they have different personalities but as well they might listen quicker if they see their siblings doing it.

Motek

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 6:51 pm
Rivk wrote:
I think that second children tend to have more self confidence, especially if they are the same gender as the first. I believe it's because we let them solve their own problems and don't "hover" as much as we do on our firsts.

I think that 2nd children of the same gender as the oldest, who are close in age to the oldest, have a hard time because the older sibling is always doing things first and they're often trailing behind. They are also likely to get hand-me-downs from the oldest, while the oldest gets new clothes.

Quote:
Does it not matter any more after some number of children?

I don't think too many studies have been done on the differences between the ninth and tenth in a family Wink

yehudis

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 7:19 pm
sarahd wrote:
Do you think that would have worked with your oldest as well? Sometimes children just have different personalities. (off topic, I know.)

I think they are different, but still it probably would have been better if I was calm knowing that it's just a stage that will pass rather than getting all worked up trying to figure out what I was doing wrong and what to do.

With my first, I tried to get her to stop doing things that she would have grown out of on her own anyway (like spilling water, drawing on things other than paper, etc.) With my second, I just take those things away, but I don't spend time and energy trying to explain to her why we don't do this.

yehudis

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 7:25 pm
Motek wrote:

I think that 2nd children of the same gender as the oldest, who are close in age to the oldest, have a hard time because the older sibling is always doing things first and they're often trailing behind. They are also likely to get hand-me-downs from the oldest, while the oldest gets new clothes.

Hmm... My second is not even two yet, but so far she seems very happy being second. She loves doing everything her older sister is doing. I don't think she feels that she is behind. She just tries everything. And when she is able to do something, she is very proud of herself.

Clothes she's very picky about. Some hand-me-downs she refuses to wear. And she has her favorites. Which is fine with me -- have to do laundry anyways Smile.

Quote:

I don't think too many studies have been done on the differences between the ninth and tenth in a family Wink

LOL What about a third? A fourth?

Tefila

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 8:26 pm
Yes Yehudis I do feel w/h our oldest especially w/h the same gender we treat them differently and have higher expectations also b/c we feel they will be a leader to the others . And by the time we reach number 4 of the same gender we do tend to relax and I'm not so sure that it is so bad. Only time will tell Confused
This thory applys to the same genders I think b/c a girl and boy we always treat differently anyways Wink

gryp

Post Tue, May 24 2005, 10:15 am
Quote:
I think that 2nd children of the same gender as the oldest, who are close in age to the oldest, have a hard time because the older sibling is always doing things first and they're often trailing behind.

this is true. it depends on the dynamics of the household of course, but very often the 2nd one's real personality doesnt come through until the older one goes away from home (or something like that), and he finally feels he has his own area and space to do his own things.

Motek

Post Tue, May 24 2005, 10:45 am
also true for same-gender twins, where generally, one twin is dominant in personality

a friend of mine switched her twin daughters to a school with parallel classes so the twins could be in separate classes

I think it is very hard for those who have a number of either girls or boys in a row, to ensure that each one has his/her place and doesn't feel in constant competition with the others.

shira

Post Wed, Jun 22 2005, 7:33 pm
I definitely have expectations that are too high for my oldest (who isn't even 3 yet!!!!!!)
A prominent michanechet in Yerushalayim says that the older a child is, the greater his responsibilities he should have AND the more privileges he should have (responsibilities and privileges should be directly proportionate)
She says that each child should have 5 more privileges than the one below him/her and the oldest should have 10 extra. She explained that the reason is because you expect SO MUCH from your oldest.

The neat thing is that she creates privileges out of ruchani things. She says that the 3 year old can say this many pesukim in krias shema al hamita but the FIVE YEAR OLD gets to say even MORE pesukim!!!

I thought that was clever.

I realized how ridiculously high my expectations were when I spent some time with my friend who's second is the same age as my oldest (got that?)
She told me that her oldest zaps her kishkas and her second is just mushy. I decided to observe my oldest "as if" he was a mushy second- he really is mushy and delicious but I expect him to be sooooo big.

They say that the bechor gets pi shnayim b/c a parent learns how to be a parent on the bechor LOL

Tefila

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 4:53 pm
Quote:
A prominent michanechet in Yerushalayim says that the older a child is, the greater his responsibilities he should have AND the more privileges he should have (responsibilities and privileges should be directly proportionate)
She says that each child should have 5 more privileges than the one below him/her and the oldest should have 10 extra. She explained that the reason is because you expect SO MUCH from your oldest.

Idea Great Thanks for posting this

shopaholic

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 10:35 am
My 1st is a very bright child KA"H so it was hard for me to realize that my second is not the same. Now I see she may have to have extra help with her schoolwork. #1 was an only child for a while so he got a lot of attention. Now, he doens't know how to play alone, unless it's a video or computer game. #2 & #3 play very nicely by themselves & can entertain themselves for quite a while.

SivanMom

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 9:27 pm
I definitely treat my first and second differently but it's hard to know why. They have such completely different personalities that I HAVE to treat them differently. DS is a typical oldest, high achieving, intense, and I expect him to be more mature than is probably fair. My second is happy go lucky, always smiling, nothing gets to her, and lazy as anything. So while a simple "do you think you can get dressed before I count to 20" will always work with my 5 year old, my 3 year old will just say "I don't care." So I need completely different approaches for each of them.

observer

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 9:34 pm
LOL, this thread is from six years ago!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics