Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What to pack for lunch? no kitchen to prepare foods

amother

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 12:26 am
Going on vacation to to Israel IY"H! We will be renting a small apartment with no kitchen. We will have a small fridge and hot water pot.

We will be going on several full day tours and we have to bring a packed lunch. I dont want to bring anything that needs a fridge cuz I am worried about it spoiling in the heat. I will get bored of eating a peanut butter sandwich every day for 2 weeks. Any other ideas what not so picky adults can take for lunch?

elmos

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 12:31 am
tuna comes in a pouch , yogurts and fruit, I know you say no kitchen but can you cut up veg for a simple salad and add cheese , tuna or ddeli
hot water pump can do instant oatmeals or soup
also meal mart makes meals (never tried them) that need no fridge or micro has a heating thing in it
crackers and some type of premade spread that you can buy like fish salad or eggplant list goes on and on

hila

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 12:32 am
You can buy salami here with a good hechsher tht does not need to be cool.
Tuna, yellow cheese, and tchina will probably be fine too. If your fridge has a freezer - try and bring (or buy when you get here) an icepack to pack next to your sandwiches.

Actually I prefer to take the bread/rols with us and fill them when we want to eat. They dont get soggy like that.

Plenty fruit and veggies, and dry snacks (crqackers and cookies etc) will see you through and BH there are plenty off eateries with hechsherim here in EY

amother

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 1:12 am
elmos wrote:
tuna comes in a pouch , yogurts and fruit, I know you say no kitchen but can you cut up veg for a simple salad and add cheese , tuna or ddeli
thats an idea for supper but soup would get cold sitting on the bus all day!
Quote:
also meal mart makes meals (never tried them) that need no fridge or micro has a heating thing in it
do they sell these meals in Israel? I doubt we will have extra luggage space
Quote:

crackers and some type of premade spread that you can buy like fish salad or eggplant list goes on and on

amother

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 1:18 am
hila wrote:
You can buy salami here with a good hechsher tht does not need to be cool.
Dh likes dried salami! where can we buy this in geulah?
Quote:

Tuna, yellow cheese, and tchina will probably be fine too. If your fridge has a freezer - try and bring (or buy when you get here) an icepack to pack next to your sandwiches.

Actually I prefer to take the bread/rols with us and fill them when we want to eat. They dont get soggy like that.
brilliant! I hate soggy bread and totally didnt think of bringing an ice pack.
Quote:

Plenty fruit and veggies, and dry snacks (crqackers and cookies etc) will see you through and BH there are plenty off eateries with hechsherim here in EY
there better be plenty of restaurants! we plan on going out to eat every night!

hila

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 1:21 am
Quote:
Quote:
do they sell these meals in Israel? I doubt we will have extra luggage space

I would not bother with these. We tried this kind of stuff when travelling (Labriute) and tehy were terrible. Totally inedible.. and I have not seen them here.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 1:29 am
It's ridiculous to bring meal mart meals (gross) from the US. You are travelling to EY, not some treif wasteland.

You can find lots of ready-made foods in grocery stores. You can also make nice salads and take them with you in plastic containers. You can buy light foods (burekas that come with hardbolied eggs on the side, felafel, a slice of inexpensive pizza, etc.) and supplement them with fresh fruit, string cheese, etc. from the grocery store.

I don't think you should have any problems. Bring a small insulated pack and one of those blue freezer things and you should be all set.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 5:24 am
buy really fresh bread or rolls each morning (if you are near a bakery) and eat with cheese, chummous, whatever. Nothing like yummy fresh bread from a bakery.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 5:56 am
Buy Zoglobek parev sausages (in the makolet freezer). If you have a small freezer, you can keep them, otherwise make immediately. You pour boiling water (from a kettle) into a dish and put the sausages into the water - they keep a few days in a fridge, and several hours outside.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 5:58 am
shalhevet wrote:
Buy Zoglobek parev sausages (in the makolet freezer). If you have a small freezer, you can keep them, otherwise make immediately. You pour boiling water (from a kettle) into a dish and put the sausages into the water - they keep a few days in a fridge, and several hours outside.

my dd eats the tival ones straight from the packet.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 6:05 am
We do instant couscous on trips.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 6:10 am
We have a Jerusalem Packs insulated lunch sized bag. I freeze water bottles (the small ones) and use those as ice packs. It keeps things cool for several hours.

I agree about packing the salads & spreads separate so the bread doesn't get soggy. Fill a lunch bag with frozen water bottles and salads & spreads, and bring the rolls on the side.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 7:22 am
elmos wrote:

Tuna may come in a pouch in the US but here in Israel we got canned (although most brands are pull-top).

And since luggage is severely limited, actually schlepping food from the US to Israel is absurd.

ewa-jo

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 8:37 am
There are lots of yummy foods in Israel. Will you be near a grocery store or a mini-market? Or is there a bakery nearby?

Borekas are tasty and don't need refrigeration. You can buy fresh ones daily, filled with spinach, cheese, mushrooms, pizza...

You can also buy single-serving containers of hummus, techina, dips..etc.. buy some fresh rolls or pitas and you have a nice meal.

Hashemlovesme

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 2:32 pm
for a tiyul you can bring frozen hot dogs/burgers (they will thaw) & a 10 Shekel disposable bbq, canned pickes....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics