Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Baking with Stevia in the Raw

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 10:16 pm
I made the Oatmeal cookie recipe from this site and wanted to make it without sugar, but healthy enough for my baby to eat.
I bought Stevia in the Raw because it said "measures cup for cup like sugar" and I thought it would be easy. But it says on the back "replace half with sugar" Does that mean I still have to use sugar? Then it says reduce pan size (it's for cookies), baking time, and I should add pureed fruit like applesauce to make it more moist.
I'm so confused.
Anyone bake with Stevia in the Raw?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 10:29 am
I have done so. I find it is sweeter than sugar so you need less. I have used part applesauce and part Stevia. It works, but it won't be liked baked goods made with sugar. You really need to experiment (or search for recipes geared for Stevia).

OutATowner

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 10:47 am
Quote:
I find it is sweeter than sugar so you need less.

Thanks for responding, I thought you wrote somewhere about cooking with Stevia.
It says this bag says measures cup for cup like sugar, but then says to replace half with sugar- the whole point is that I don't want sugar. That's what I'm confused about. They made it seem like you don't have to add the fillers, etc.
The recipe calls for 1/2 c sugar. I'll put it in 1/2 c of this stuff (stevia is only the 2nd ingredient, they put maltodextrin as there own filler) and a dollop of applesauce? As it is I put in applesauce instead of oil.
Worse case scenario I'll use it as a healthy oatmeal crumble and top with baked apples...might not be such a bad idea. I'll experiment when my baby naps.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 10:55 am
If the recipe calls for half a cup of sugar, I would use less Stevia -- maybe a little more than a quarter cup.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking