Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Baked gefilte fish recipe and covered or not?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 8:40 am
I did searches and can' find a strait answer Smile when I bake gefilte fish WITHOUT sauce, do I cover or uncover it? also looking for a recipe without sauce, that is delicious.. haven't been liking my fish lately at all, and want to bake in the oven, I can just unwrap paper, put spices on it, spray with pam then put in oven on what degree/how long/ and covered or uncovered? TIA!

smss

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 8:43 am
I unwrap it, sprinkle with paprika, pepper, and sugar - put a little water in the bottom of the pan - bake covered for like 1.5-2 hrs.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 8:54 am
SMSS does it come out soggy at all from the water? I'm liking for a fish that doesn't taste liquidy or watery at all.. does that even exist?

smss

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 8:58 am
it really doesn't. you put just a little bit of water to barely cover the bottom of the pan. it comes out crispy on the top and dry, not mushy/liquidy at all.

spring13

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:06 am
smss wrote:
I unwrap it, sprinkle with paprika, pepper, and sugar - put a little water in the bottom of the pan - bake covered for like 1.5-2 hrs.

I do it pretty much the same, but with paprika, onion powder, salt, pepper - and sometimes some thin sliced onions on top.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:13 am
I start with a defrosted loaf and bake for 1hr at 375. It gets flat and brown. A lot of the water cooks out so it has a firm texture. We like to eat it with sweet and sour sauce or the challah dips.

Floridamom

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:25 am
I also don't like soggy fish Smile so I unwrap it, sprinkle spices on it, put water in pan, then bake 1 hour covered, then the last half hour I uncover it. I sometimes even spill some water out when I uncover it. It crisps up the top,of fish and works for us!

Floridamom

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:25 am
I also don't like soggy fish Smile so I unwrap it, sprinkle spices on it, put water in pan, then bake 1 hour covered, then the last half hour I uncover it. I sometimes even spill some water out when I uncover it. It crisps up the top,of fish and works for us!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:27 am
I just unwrap it, stick it in a pan, and bake it uncovered by itself until it forms a brown crust. it's really good, firm, and in no way liquidy.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:39 am
mummie dearest what temperature and around how long?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:59 am
that depends on what else I have that needs to go into the oven. I just bake it until there's a nice dark brown crust over it. it's hard to mess up. on average, the oven is set to 350, but I've done it on other temps too. sorry, no specific time.

Chavelamomela

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 10:13 am
I bake mine in less than an inch of water. I use the A&B brand fish, which is tasty, and it doesn't need any added flavoring. I keep the paper on during the baking, and turn over the loaf after 1 hour, bake another 30-60 minutes. The outside becomes light brown, and the fish is flavorful and does not taste watery at all.

Have you ever tried it hot? Its a different experience and very delicious - we've done that for a weekday dinner treat.

forever21

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 2:28 pm
Am I the only one that doesnt unwrap it until AFTER I take it out of the oven??

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 3:14 pm
forever21 wrote:
Am I the only one that doesnt unwrap it until AFTER I take it out of the oven??

Me too if I wanted it to be similar to boiled fish but just drier. That way I put a little water in the pan and bake it covered.

I also sometimes make it a different way where I do unwrap it first, put it in a pan with seasonings on top (no water in the pan) and bake it uncovered.

shirtsandskirts

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 3:27 pm
I unwrap it, put on marinara sauce to cover and bake at 400 uncovered for an hour or until it "stretches" and all the sauce is dry

Shmaichel

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 3:53 pm
I second mummiedearest's recipe! Just put it plain in the oven and bake- Comes out delicious. I find a difference in the taste depending on the company of the gefilte fish when baking it. After trying a whole bunch, our family favorite is A&B gefilte fish.

de_goldy

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 4:26 pm
I unwrap, drizzle a little oil over the top and bake on a cookie sheet until brown. usually 375 for 1.5 hours. It puffs up in the oven and flattens down when I take it out. Very dry - doesn't taste at all like soggy boiled fish loaf.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 4:54 pm
I bake it in the oven with the paper on. I add sugar and black pepper an onion and a carrot. I bake it on 350 covered for 2 hours.

anotherima

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 6:01 pm
I preheat the oven to 350, then I spray a loaf pan with pam. I unwrap the frozen gefilte fish loaf and put it in the pan and sprinkle spices (garlic powder, onion powder, etc) and spray pam on top of the spices. Then I bake it UNCOVERED for 90 minutes. Good luck!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 6:32 pm
If you're making without sauce and enjoy firm non liquidy gefilte fish bake it uncovered.

Unwrap paper, rub roll with olive oil, stick into a snug loaf pan, and bake uncovered at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes - 1 hour and 30 minutes (depending on your oven. check after 1 hr 10 min. if top is dry and just starting to turn beige it's ready. if it's still a little wet keep it in the oven for longer.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen