Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My Baby Has Strep :(

ButterflyGarden

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 7:13 am
My 14 month old has strep. Sad I can't get her to eat or drink anything (She did take half an ice pop). She's so miserable. She also has an ear infection, but that she gets every other week. I'm planning on making her some chicken soup. Is there anything else I can do to make her more comfortable?

Mishie

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 8:18 am
Oy! that must be so hard, to see your little one in pain like that!

You can try giving her some herbal tea in her bottle, warm, slightly sweetened, with a drop of fresh lemon juice.

Is she on antibiotics?

!!!רפואה שלימה

micki

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 9:52 am
I thought children under 2 cannot get strep?!

but if it is sore then just give her pain medicine and the antibiotics should clear it up for her.

refua sheleima.

ButterflyGarden

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 10:14 am
She's on antibiotics (which I am deathly allergic to and can't give her) and refuses to take the tea. Confused I can't get her to eat or drink much of anything.

Quote:
I thought children under 2 cannot get strep?!

I've never heard that before.

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 10:28 am
Don't worry too much about the fact that she is not eating, concentrate instead on getting her to drink. If the only liquids she will take are ice-pops, as you said above, I would just offer her as many of those as she will have. Is she okay about taking her antibiotics?
Refua shelema

Mishie

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 12:08 pm
RivkaB - which Antibiotics are you giving your baby?

I'm also VERY alergic to Penicilin, but was never told I can't give it to my kids.

How do you know you're alergic?
I had a really bad case of hives, and the Doc. told me if I ever take it again, It can be fatal C"V.

Can your Hubby give it to her before he leaves in the AM?

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 2:11 am
She's on penicillin. DH gives it to her. When I take it I also get hives, but it is accompanied by trouble breathing. (I'm actually allergic to most antibiotics) The doctor told me not to take it, touch it, or smell it because the allergy is so sever. BH DH is in kollel and is home when she wakes up, for lunch and for dinner to give it to her. When he was working I had to go find a neighbor to do it and then ask then to clean out the stuff too. we kept everything in two plastic bags so I could take it. We have to be especially careful since I'm pregnant.

yoyosma

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 9:25 am
My baby is BH getting over a chest cold/croupy cough combination and didnt eat for a few days. It scared me a lot and lets not talk about the engorgment!!! (I wince just thinking about it)

BH, she is able to breathe through her nose a bit better and is eating constantly. You may see that your baby loses a bit of weight, that is normal. When she is better, she will eat to make up for it.

I agree with the poster who said to give her any liquid she will take. If you can get her to take those Pedialite pops, try that too. Otherwise, keep her as comfy as possible, lots of hugs and kisses, Refuah Sheleima!!

raizy

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 10:44 pm
I am also allergic to penicillin but I didnt know that I am not allowed to touch it. maybe that why I am so itchy now and pimples all over. I never thought of that. I should check it out. my baby has broncitios how he got it I dont know . I really bundle him up and I dont go out with him if it is too cold or windy etc.

thanks for this info!!

how did u find out htat u are allergic to it? I thought I was dieing and going to heaven it was soo bad. beleive me . its something u dont want to go through. also my sises(2) and mom is also . so I guess it is in the family!!!

ButterflyGarden

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 2:29 am
When I was a girl I took it and had to go to the ER. None since.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 10:58 pm
re: baby with strep
I think my dr. says that a baby under 2 can't get strep...and if he does, it doesn't need to be treated?!? I know it sounds weird, but my dr. is one of the "top" listed in a magazine...!
My baby (11 months) has broncitis. The dr. said it's viral and did not give me antibiotics...sometimes I wonder if they might help anyway, though I know it doesn't make sense!
it's cold season!

Piper

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 11:26 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
re: baby with strep
I think my dr. says that a baby under 2 can't get strep...and if he does, it doesn't need to be treated?!? I know it sounds weird, but my dr. is one of the "top" listed in a magazine...!
My baby (11 months) has broncitis. The dr. said it's viral and did not give me antibiotics...sometimes I wonder if they might help anyway, though I know it doesn't make sense!
it's cold season!

Anyone at any age can get strep. It is a BACTERIAL infection, treated by antibiotics. Not treating it can result in rheumatic fever.

Doctors do not give antibiotics for viral infections, as they will not cure them. treatment is supportive, until the body fights the infection.

For more information, go to webmd.com or cdc.gov.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Nov 18 2006, 9:36 pm
well, my dr. won't even check a baby for strep.
ps how does he know if broncitis is viral or bacterial??

Piper

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 3:26 pm
The doctor will take a culture and examine it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics