Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Bais Yaakov cookbook - who uses it?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

raizy@b

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 8:14 am
elmos wrote:
can someone please share the brown sugar/tomato glaze chicken I keep reading all over that its so good would love this and any other good simple chicken recipes from anywere TIA

In not a chicken on bone fan, nor are my kids but my husband enjoyed.

Baked Chicken With Tomato Brown Sugar Glaze.

Ingredients:
1 (3 to 4 lb.) whole chicken, cut into eighths.
salt
ground black pepper
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
3/4 cups plus 2 tbsp. red sweet wine ( I dislike red wine in cooking I might have used white wine)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
4 cloves minced garlic.

Method:
Preheat oven to 350.
Pat chicken dry. Place chicken skin-side down in a 9x13 baking dish. Season with salt and black pepper. Whisk tomato sauce, wine, brown sugar and garlic in small bowl. Pour wine mixture over chicken.

Bake covered for 1 hr. Uncover, continue baking under tender and no longer pink about 30 min more.
Remove chicken from oven and transfer to platter.

(The recipe suggests that it goes really well with couscous.)

chaya35

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 8:21 am
raizy@b wrote:
chaya35 wrote:
Can someone please post the onion soup recipe. Would love to make it for supper tonight.

I have not tried this recipe as of yet. Plz let me know if you enjoyed!

French Onion Soup

Ingredients:
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp. onion soup mix
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 stick butter
2 lrg. onions thinly sliced
6 c. water
6 baguette slices
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Method:
Mix sugar, flour. onion soup mix, salt and black pepper in a small bowl and set aside.

In a large pot melt butter. Add onions and caramelize about 25 min. on low heat, mixing occasionally.
Add the flour mixture to the onions and stir to create a roux, and continue mixing. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30- 40 min.

Prepare oven to broil. Ladle six oven safe bowls. Float and baguette slice on top of each soup. sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese onto the sliced breads. Place filled bowls onto a cookie sheet. Place cookie sheet in oven under broiler. Broil 4 minutes. Serve immediately.

Thanks for posting. Someone recently sent me this soup and it was delicious that why I asked for the recipe.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 8:21 am
love that cookbook.

forever21

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 2:08 pm
made lots of stuff from there. pastrami orzo (the company loved it), bluberry muffins, wholesome breakfast muffins which r lowfat and my kids loved them, I think the leek soup is from that cookbook,..

groovy1224

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 4:47 pm
I love that cookbook- dh won't eat anything exotic, so I like that a lot of the recipes are pretty universally likeable. Nice chicken and meat recipes, sides, and desserts. Soups too.

There are only 2 things that drive me nuts though:
1) Some of the recipes have one major ridiculous flaw in them- like for example, the recipe for pastrami roll up chicken says to cook the chicken for 2 and a half hours or something like that!! shock Ummmm...try like a half hour.

2) Some of the pictures don't really fit the recipe..I'm one of those people that want to make something and see it come out like the picture. So again, take the pastrami roll up chicken. The pic shows this beautiful glossy glaze.. in reality it looks more like thousand island dressing. I don't know how they got it to look like that, but it wasn't by using their own recipe lol!

But those aside, I really love it Smile Everything I've made from it has been a hit.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 4:47 pm
I love that cookbook- dh won't eat anything exotic, so I like that a lot of the recipes are pretty universally likeable. Nice chicken and meat recipes, sides, and desserts. Soups too.

There are only 2 things that drive me nuts though:
1) Some of the recipes have one major ridiculous flaw in them- like for example, the recipe for pastrami roll up chicken says to cook the chicken for 2 and a half hours or something like that!! shock Ummmm...try like a half hour.

2) Some of the pictures don't really fit the recipe..I'm one of those people that want to make something and see it come out like the picture. So again, take the pastrami roll up chicken. The pic shows this beautiful glossy glaze.. in reality it looks more like thousand island dressing. I don't know how they got it to look like that, but it wasn't by using their own recipe lol!

But those aside, I really love it Smile Everything I've made from it has been a hit.

Happy18

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 4:56 pm
I've only used it once to make grilled chicken, its a beautiful cookbook that I would love to use more.

bananasplit

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 5:19 pm
French Onion Soup

Ingredients:
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp. onion soup mix
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 stick butter
2 lrg. onions thinly sliced
6 c. water
6 baguette slices
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Method:
Mix sugar, flour. onion soup mix, salt and black pepper in a small bowl and set aside.

In a large pot melt butter. Add onions and caramelize about 25 min. on low heat, mixing occasionally.
Add the flour mixture to the onions and stir to create a roux, and continue mixing. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30- 40 min.

Prepare oven to broil. Ladle six oven safe bowls. Float and baguette slice on top of each soup. sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese onto the sliced breads. Place filled bowls onto a cookie sheet. Place cookie sheet in oven under broiler. Broil 4 minutes. Serve immediately.[/quote]

Thanks for posting! I just made this, it came out delish!

chaya35

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 5:40 pm
Made the onion soup today and was delicious. Thanks again for posting.

raizy@b

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 6:05 pm
chaya35 wrote:
Made the onion soup today and was delicious. Thanks again for posting.

Thanks for the feedback!! I think I might have half a menu on my list for tomm night supper !! Wink

UQT

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 7:53 pm
Did you try the pastrami kishke capons? Aewsome and not too fancy.
Also the pastrami in sauce got rave reviews by a sheva brachos.
The mocha cake was pretty good too!

bananasplit

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 8:50 pm
forever21 wrote:
made lots of stuff from there. pastrami orzo (the company loved it), bluberry muffins, wholesome breakfast muffins which r lowfat and my kids loved them, I think the leek soup is from that cookbook,..

Can you post the breakfast muffins please? TIA

forever21

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 9:42 am
wholesome breakfast muffins

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour preheat oven to 400 deg. cook 17-20 min.
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinamon
1/2 cup applesauce
1 large egg
1 cup apple juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup choc chips

bananasplit

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 4:12 pm
forever21 wrote:
wholesome breakfast muffins

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour preheat oven to 400 deg. cook 17-20 min.
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinamon
1/2 cup applesauce
1 large egg
1 cup apple juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup choc chips

Thanks
Did anyone try this using a substitute for apple juice? Would it taste good with rice dream or milk instead?

YChannah

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 4:51 pm
Love this cookbook! one of my favorites. I've liked everything I made except the strawberry soup. But I think I messed it up Sad

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 5:34 pm
I liked what I tried so far, but I found the spices to be sorely lacking. I had to add spices to almost everything. The roasted garlic zucchini soup is really good.

wispalover

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 7:21 pm
smss wrote:
ds6099 wrote:
Can someone post the lentil soup recipe?

Okay, why not, I'm procrastinating anyway... Smile

Lentil Soup

1 lb dried lentils, checked, rinsed, and drained
1/4 cup olive oil
3 large onions, diced
2 leeks, sliced, white and light green parts only
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
1-1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
8 celery stalks, diced
4-6 carrots, sliced
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 Tbsp. red wine or red wine vinegar
3 quarts (12 cups) chicken broth

Put lentils in a bowl and cover with boiling water - let it sit for 15 minutes and then drain.
Heat olive oil in a big pot on medium - add onions, leeks, and garlic - saute till tender, about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
Add celery and carrots, saute another 10 minutes. Add lentils, tomato paste, and red wine / vinegar. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes, until the lentils are cooked through. Stir every so often.

JOOC, WHY do you want soup in this heat?? Smile

side note: I never understood why recipes dont specify which kind of lentils- brown and red and green and yellow are so different from each other.

red_velvet

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 8:27 am
Can someone please post the roasted garlic zucchini soup? Thanks.

chaya35

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 9:21 am
go to the ad of the cookbook on imamother home page and this recipe is one of the samples

runninglate

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 8:38 am
can anyone tell me which desserts in this cookbook are good? Thanks.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics