Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
East Meadow Jewish Center, Kosher?

justforfun87

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 10:17 pm
We have been invited to a wedding at the East Meadow Jewish Center in Hempstead. I now see that it is a Conservative synagogue. Does anyone know this place? Do they by any chance have kosher catering? Worse comes to worse is there a restaurant nearby that we can run to after if we are starving?

wtvr

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 10:23 pm
http://www.eastmeadowjc.org/

It says who their caterer is. Call and find out what the hashgacha is.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 10:50 pm
Yea thanks. I felt weird about calling did not want to step on any toes and not sure they only use this one caterer. I will make the call tomorrow and then post again when they mention which hasgacha they are under since I am an OOT-er and won't know who they mention anyways Smile

SplitPea

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 10:52 pm
if you Do get stuck there is Ej too in west hempstead (dairy CY pizza shop with pasta salads fish and soups) and wing wan - chinese both under queens vaad

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 10:59 pm
In NY State, for a restaurant or business to claim they are kosher they must have certification from an Orthodox authority.

Since neither the website for the East Meadow Jewish Center nor the caterer whom they recommend (link is on their website) say anything about kashrut, I'm going to bet that they do not have a teudat kashrut from an Orthodox organization.

But let us know what you find out.

wtvr

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 11:17 pm
It does mention on the caterer's site that catering at EMJC is Glatt Kosher, but does not mention under who's hashgacha, which makes it seem that it's not a "Big Name". I just messaged someone very involved in EMJC, will let you know what he says.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 11:23 pm
Wow, thanks WTVR!

justforfun87

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 11:41 pm
Barbara sorry for my incorrect choice of words. I know that the food is kosher but the way in which it is prepped is not usually same standard as orthodox such as in my community the conservative market has milk and meat cooking in the same oven at the same time. Hebrew National is a conservative hechsher from my understanding as well. We are far from the 'whos the rabbi type.' So what I meant to post is. Does anyone know if this venue holds by an orthodox or conservative standard of food prep, mashgiach and such.

wtvr

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 11:53 pm
He said that it just changed, he will confirm over Shabbos who it is.

justforfun87

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 10:29 am
WTVR, any word regarding the new change?

justforfun87

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 10:52 am
Spoke with them. They are now under the Young Israel of West Hempstead. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries