Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What are the best cook books?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 10:45 am
I need to buy some cook books. The only one I have is spice and spirit. Which are the best kosher cook books? Thanks.

happy mom1

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 10:47 am
I love Dining in, Fresh and easy, and Pupa cookbook.
But I'm sure everyone has different favorites.

shoemaker

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 10:52 am
silver spoon, dining in again,

all is good

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 10:56 am
What's Cooking is by far my favorite

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 11:03 am
My mother has some old cookbooks with a wide range of recipes but most of the newer cookbooks these days seem to have a style. So I guess if you're asking what's the best, you probably want to narrow down what you're looking for - do you want healthy? If so, what kind of healthy - low fat, vegetarian, etc. Easy? Quick? Fancy/decorative? Exotic or using your old pantry ingredients? Even the ones that don't say they have a special style still tend to do so - like the title doesn't indicate anything but then when you look through the recipes you notice that you will have to do a specialty shopping trip for each one, or whatever.

Frazzled Mommy

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 11:04 am
All of Susie Fishbein's kosher by designs are great! I love the "Kosher by design short on time" the best. The recipes are not all as quick as she says, but each one is a keeper!

3mitzvos

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 11:09 am
I think I've had the most luck with Dining In... and I hear that the new Bais Yaakov Cookbook in amazing.

Happy18

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 11:17 am
My two current favorites are the BY cookbook and fresh and easy, but thats just because I'm tired of the susie fishbein ones, I always go back to those eventually.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 11:25 am
My mom works at a kitchen-wares store and says that the most popular ones are Dining In, Fresh and Easy and BY. I think some of the chassidish ones are great, too.

SS6099

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 4:51 pm
I find that the Pupa Cookbook- Balabusta's Choice, has lots of practical recipes that are simply delicious and not complicated. I like this one best (out of the million that I have).

Happy18

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 5:54 pm
ds6099 wrote:
I find that the Pupa Cookbook- Balabusta's Choice, has lots of practical recipes that are simply delicious and not complicated. I like this one best (out of the million that I have).

I've never seen this one. Is it worth investing in?

YChannah

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 6:02 pm
I really like the BY cookbook, kosher by design short on time. I use those the most and I have about 10!

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 6:05 pm
Dining In and Bais Yakov Cookbook

naomi2

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 6:30 pm
amother wrote:
I need to buy some cook books. The only one I have is spice and spirit. Which are the best kosher cook books? Thanks.

this is really funny because I opened this thread to respond that 'spice and spirit' is my favorite cookbook!!

OutATowner

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 8:00 pm
Quote:
this is really funny because I opened this thread to respond that 'spice and spirit' is my favorite cookbook!!

Me too!
Not what you're necessarily looking for, but my favorite cookbook is the recipe binder (half-size) of my favorite recipes since I got married.
Start collecting!

dee's mommy

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 8:51 pm
Spice and Spirit is one of the best in my opinion.

I'm mostly a plain and simple cook, so my basics, other than Spice and Spirit are:

Simple Pleasures
Second Helpings Please
I just got a copy of Meal Leani Yum (now entitled Healthy Helpings.) I suspect this is going to be frequently used.
Gatherings
Enlitened Kosher Cooking (a new cookbook for me. I am hoping to use it more often. So far I am pleased.)
Persian food from the non Persian Bride (I don't actually own this one, but there are some recipes that I use from there on a regular basis.)
Gatherings

(I circulate these, so sometimes I gravitate to one or two for a long time, and then I will bring some of the others out.)

Gerbera

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 3:19 am
dee's mommy wrote:
Spice and Spirit is one of the best in my opinion.

I'm mostly a plain and simple cook, so my basics, other than Spice and Spirit are:

Simple Pleasures
Second Helpings Please
I just got a copy of Meal Leani Yum (now entitled Healthy Helpings.) I suspect this is going to be frequently used.
Gatherings
Enlitened Kosher Cooking (a new cookbook for me. I am hoping to use it more often. So far I am pleased.)
Persian food from the non Persian Bride (I don't actually own this one, but there are some recipes that I use from there on a regular basis.)
Gatherings

(I circulate these, so sometimes I gravitate to one or two for a long time, and then I will bring some of the others out.)

I agree with many that this poster suggested!

Almost everything I make comes from Meal Leani Yum (Healthy Helpings it is called now) by Norene Gilletz.

Gatherings is also great. I have made many things from the Persian cookbook - delicious salads!

I would also suggest Kosher Palette II. I was given the first as a gift and have yet to make anything from it but took the second out of the library and finally bought myself a copy last week after trying 5 new soups in one week and loving them all!

I have Fresh and Easy and haven't really liked any recipe I tried in there.

Second Helpings, Please is great if you need simple and easy recipes - I just find since the book is dated back to the 1960's or so that the recipes are not very healthy.

Highly suggest the Healthy Helpings one!

etky

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 4:10 am
"Classic Kosher Cooking" by Sara Finkel.
It's a golden oldie that I called my "bible" when I was first married about 20 years ago.
I have all the Susie Fishbein and Kosher Pallette books and they're great but I still find myself referring back to this mainstay on many occasions.

Hashemlovesme

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 7:23 am
I don't know where you live, but from all my cookbooks I tend to always go to my community cookbooks. They are tried & true, normal recipes. so much so that I've sold a few of the big name ones that I seem never to use.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 7:49 am
etky wrote:
"Classic Kosher Cooking" by Sara Finkel.
It's a golden oldie that I called my "bible" when I was first married about 20 years ago.
I have all the Susie Fishbein and Kosher Pallette books and they're great but I still find myself referring back to this mainstay on many occasions.

I agree about the Classic Kosher Cooking. It's a great classic to have on hand.
I also like the Aish Hatorah Cook book alot. Forgot what it's called.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen