Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Hello Kitty?

amother

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 9:07 pm
So, my daughter is 4 and is going to Bais Yaakov of Boro Park next year. She really wants a Hello Kitty backpack, and I'd love to get her one. The problem is that someone told me that Hello Kitty may be looked at as inappropriate in BY of Boro Park. Is this true???

girlzrus

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 9:15 pm
I would be surprised if its a problem in b.y.b.p. most other schools in boro park its not an issue ( maybe 1 or 2) and deffinitely not for preschool age. its generaly not considered character like dora and/or disney - cinderela , mermaid....
btw my dd is in a very chasidish school w a hello kitty breifcase and many of her classmates have one as well. also strawberry shortcake is mostly considered to be o.k.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 9:17 pm
OP here.
thanks! yeah, I thought it would be ok... I would never send her with Disney princesses or anything. I thought Hello Kitty was more neutral.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 9:27 pm
I was in my daughter's class room for her birthday party, last year. Every cubby had a Hello Kitty briefcase besides for 3. My daughter goes to a chassidish school, it's definitely not considered a bad thing.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 9:34 pm
While on the topic, anyone know where I can pick up a hello kitty briefcase online for cheap ?

allergypro

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 10:07 pm
My daughter's teacher (in bybp) had hello kitty drawings on almost all the sheets she handed out.

debsters1101

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 12:12 am
I saw them on walmart.com for like $12

OutATowner

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 8:04 am
I know you're talking about NY, but in Israel HK is ALL over, because it is such a neutral character. It's not associated with any tv shows or anything, so it is in it's own category.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 8:09 am
My daughter has a hello kitty on her chasidush swim dress. Totally acceptable.

bnm

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 10:14 am
I didn't get my daughter a HK briefcase only because my sister taught and my mother is a therapist in schools and say all little girls have pink HK briefcases, its a pain to know which one belongs to which kid. This is in BP. HK is 'kosher'

mommyhood

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 10:26 am
Hello Kitty and Strawberry Shortcake are the 'kosher' characters. I bought my dd a hello kitty knapsack for $13 at Walmart.

cm

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 11:21 am
Interesting, from a cross-cultural (MO) perspective.

FWIW, both Hello Kitty and Strawberry Shortcake have cartoons on DVD. We don't have TV, so I don't know if they are shown on TV.

Yes, I think they're "kosher" characters, and I let my dd enjoy them when she was preschool-aged, but it wouldn't occur to me to send items with any characters to her school, which has a no-character policy.

If they are very popular, make sure your child's is labeled - and that she can read her name or in some way identify her own briefcase/backpack! It's so frustrating for the kids when their things get mixed up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers