Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Ripping sheets

markmywords

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 10:06 am
3 different sheets have ripped straight down the center (two foot long gash) in the last month.
What could be happening?
My husband thought it might be the laundry detergent the laundromat is using (we drop ours off).
At first I thought it was our kids, but then it happened on sheets they had no contact with.
We hired a new cleaning lady in the last few weeks, but I can't imagine foul play.
What else could it be?
We're going through sheets like water.
They're all a bit old, but why should they all rip at the same time???

cm

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 10:33 am
I'm familiar with the two-foot gash down the middle, too.

Assuming that the sheets are used the same amount (that is: you don't use one set all the time and another just for guests), and assuming that they match (are all the same brand, quality, etc), the fact that they wore out at the same time is not surprising at all. Sheets wear out eventually.

In a thriftier age, sheets that tore in the center would be cut in half, turned, and sewn together. No one wants to sleep on a seam and sheets are plentiful and not to expensive, so it is rarely done nowadays, as far as I know. Use the old sheets for scraps or crafts, if you want.

Enjoy picking out new linens!

markmywords

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 10:45 am
One of the sheet sets I hardly ever used, that's why I'm so shocked it ripped.
I pulled it out when the other two ripped. Maybe it just grew old and worn overtime, even in my linen closet.
Oh, well.
Thanks for your reply.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 12:33 pm
Is it possible it got caught on something like a nail and you didn't realize it? We also had sheets that were very old and they finally gave out and ripped. I fixed it, but it got worse and bought new ones.

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 5:01 pm
Sheets wear out in the middle because that's the part that gets the most wear, period. back in the days before fitted sheets, I was one of the "rip it down the center and sew the outside edges together" people and was amazed to learn that this trick is taught in Swiss finishing schools! I guess when your sheets cost the GDP of a small island nation you want to extend their useful life as long as possible. The outside edges get zero wear and are like new when the center is worn through. Alas, the "rip-and-sew" doesn't work with fitted sheets, so I don't do this classic thrifty maneuver any more.

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 5:27 pm
Oh, BTW, when sheets start to feel like velvet in the middle, that's a dead giveaway that they're going to rip very soon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics