Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Uncanny coincidence? (similar magazine features)

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 6:59 pm
I was pretty surprised to get the Mishpacha this morning and see that one of the cover articles is about the Montessori method, which Binah also did a full feature on this week. I know the back-to-school theme is universal this week but there are many trends in education to choose from and Montessori is hardly new, so why would they both choose THAT the same time, the same year? The actual articles seem quite different (though I haven't read Mishpacha's yet, just peeked) but it still seems like an uncanny choice as well as a bit redundant for people who subscribe to both.

The funny thing is, I can't remember specific examples, but I notice this happening at least a few times a year. Not even timely issues, but just random topics you'll see in more than one major magazine either the same week or a week or two apart from each other. I know these publications have to be prepared well in advance so it's definitely not that they're getting 'inspiration' from each other after seeing it in print. What's going on?! Is it REALLY all coincidence or is there something sketchy about this?

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 7:46 pm
I've noticed it too and have been surprised. I also find it hard to believe it is always coincidence.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 7:48 pm
I know that BYBP sent out a letter regarding the Montessori Method.
Maybe someone on staff has kids there and they both saw the letter...

lamplighter

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 8:31 pm
I noticed something else also.
I get the food network magazine and I can't tell you how often the jewish magazines use the same themes, style of recipes and tips about a month later...

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 8:33 pm
I have seen it TONS. I don't know if its so much that there are people who "tell" the other "team" what is happening because these articles and features take weeks to prepare.
I think its either something that is going on at the time, such as pesach recipes, back to school, bybp sending out the letter.
So many reasons it could be but I have seen it a few times.
Same with the hamodia and yaated. Funny.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 8:45 pm
OK, back to school is back to school and that's an interesting theory about Montessori being a response to BYBP bringing it to the fore. And Pesach recipes at Pesach time, obviously that's not what I'm talking about. But I mean, sometimes at a totally random time you'll have two magazines (I refer mainly to Binah and Mishpacha because I see them most often) feature something like herbal remedies if not the same week then only one or two weeks apart, which couldn't possibly have been ripped off because these kinds of articles are prepared (I am guessing here) months in advance. So weird. And, like I said, redundant for people who subscribe to multiple magazines because they like a variety of things to read.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 9:11 pm
Many many times I see them featuring articles on things that have been a "hot topic"on Imamother.
I guess they're lurking here.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 9:27 pm
They are for sure lurking! It keeps happening that I read an article in one of the magazines and I have deja vu, after a bit of thinking I remember it being discussed on imamother.

You think Yael should get paid some form of commission? Wink

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 9:29 pm
I don't think its a coincidence at all.

Happy18

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 9:32 pm
lamplighter wrote:
I noticed something else also.
I get the food network magazine and I can't tell you how often the jewish magazines use the same themes, style of recipes and tips about a month later...

I also get food network magazine and have noticed the same thing.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 9:39 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Many many times I see them featuring articles on things that have been a "hot topic"on Imamother.

They also sometimes bait us to get quotes/material. But some, at least, do it openly. I have seen posts that go something like "I'm writing an article about antelope encounters, has anyone had one that they'd like to share about?" So when they do that I don't find it offensive at all. Like Reva Pomerantz's questions about bullying, I enjoyed having that opportunity to be the input rather than wondering whether the "many women" referenced in an article consist of the writer's sisters or what.

Happy18

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 10:20 pm
seeker wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

They also sometimes bait us to get quotes/material. But some, at least, do it openly. I have seen posts that go something like "I'm writing an article about antelope encounters, has anyone had one that they'd like to share about?" So when they do that I don't find it offensive at all. Like Reva Pomerantz's questions about bullying, I enjoyed having that opportunity to be the input rather than wondering whether the "many women" referenced in an article consist of the writer's sisters or what.

I think that as long as someone is honest about their intentions of using the discussions on this site its totally fine.

Tova

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 7:53 am
Check out google.com homepage today. It's for Maria Montessori's 142nd b-day so they are featuring Montessori too!

tissues

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 11:29 am
Is it possible that it's the same author who sent in an article to both magazines? I know this is done with photo articles. Someone has a beautiful thing put together and offers it simultaneously to a number of mags.

bigSmile

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 12:02 pm
As google's doodle depicts today, it's Maria Montessori's 142 "birthday". Maybe that's why they both did it.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 12:25 pm
yunchkup wrote:
Is it possible that it's the same author who sent in an article to both magazines? I know this is done with photo articles. Someone has a beautiful thing put together and offers it simultaneously to a number of mags.

No, the articles were pretty different. Just the topic was the same.
Neither one made any mention of Montessori's birthday, it was just a regular back-to-school thing. I mean, it makes a lot of sense to feature educational methods the week before schools start, but that they both chose the same one? Hrm.

with a smile :)

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 2:44 am
I'm the author of the Montessori article in Binah, and I don't believe they were at all coordinated. I was the one who suggested the article to my editors back in April. I am certified as a Montessori teacher and this is the first back-to-school issue since I've started writing; I thought it would be a great feature and my editors thought the same.

I would assume that, crazy as it can seem at times, all similarities are really just coincidences. I know that the Binah editors work hard to put out a unique, exciting magazine that isn't the same as everything else you're reading, and I've also spoken with Bassi Gruen, the editor of Family First, and I know she does the same.

If anything, if one magazine found out that the other was doing something very similar, they would probably try to change it up, as they each want to give their readers a unique reading experience. But I think in general they just don't speak to each other much, for many reasons.

I haven't yet read the other Montessori article, but I am planning on doing so, and I also heard, as someone here mentioned, that they were from different angles. I hope that that just contributed to those who read both magazines having a deeper and more thorough understanding of the method - and there definitely is enough to say about Montessori to fill up many books, let alone articles!

Miriam Gitlin

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 8:17 am
Many magazines are very similar. I hate that.

Tova

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 2:38 pm
with a smile Smile wrote:
I'm the author of the Montessori article in Binah, and I don't believe they were at all coordinated. I was the one who suggested the article to my editors back in April. I am certified as a Montessori teacher and this is the first back-to-school issue since I've started writing; I thought it would be a great feature and my editors thought the same.

I would assume that, crazy as it can seem at times, all similarities are really just coincidences. I know that the Binah editors work hard to put out a unique, exciting magazine that isn't the same as everything else you're reading, and I've also spoken with Bassi Gruen, the editor of Family First, and I know she does the same.

If anything, if one magazine found out that the other was doing something very similar, they would probably try to change it up, as they each want to give their readers a unique reading experience. But I think in general they just don't speak to each other much, for many reasons.

I haven't yet read the other Montessori article, but I am planning on doing so, and I also heard, as someone here mentioned, that they were from different angles. I hope that that just contributed to those who read both magazines having a deeper and more thorough understanding of the method - and there definitely is enough to say about Montessori to fill up many books, let alone articles!

Miriam Gitlin

Hi Miriam!
So nice to see you here.
I have been intrigued by your kollel articles in the Viewpoints section (you are a great writer - I've been enjoying your articles all over the magazine). We can take it to PM or the kollel forum (Support for a Life Dedicated to Kodesh) but it is very interesting to me (as a fellow kollel wife albeit here in the US) your discussion of sacrifice.

with a smile :)

Post Mon, Sep 03 2012, 11:16 am
Tova wrote:
Hi Miriam!
So nice to see you here.
I have been intrigued by your kollel articles in the Viewpoints section (you are a great writer - I've been enjoying your articles all over the magazine). We can take it to PM or the kollel forum (Support for a Life Dedicated to Kodesh) but it is very interesting to me (as a fellow kollel wife albeit here in the US) your discussion of sacrifice.

Thanks, Tova! I will PM you. I tried going to that forum, but I still have a ways to go in terms of posts before I can apply to join it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room