Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Best Honey Cake!
  1  2  3  9  10  11  Next

AZmom09

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 11:18 am
Hey all!
So I tried one of the honey cakes on this website last year instead of using my mother's recipe, and although it was good I found it a bit too much. Maybe it was too sweet or something I don't really remember.
So this year I'm making my mother's recipe and it really is the best!
Give it a try and let me know how it is!

Honey Cake

2 eggs
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cocoa
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup strong coffee (1 c hot water w spoonful of coffee granules)
2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With electric mixer, beat all ingredients together for 3 minutes. (I don't use the mixer. Batter will be runny.) Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Bake for 40 minutes. (may take a little longer or less) Test for doneness by sticking a toothpick into middle of cake. If it comes out dry it is done. ENJOY!!

I just made it today and already had like 5 slices!! Someone stop me!

mamaluv

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 1:18 pm
Thanks for the recipe!!! I made it and it's a gr8 hit!!

Shana Tova to all Very Happy

AZmom09

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 1:58 pm
Yay! So glad to hear. I actually just called my mother to yell at her for giving me the recipe since I have already eaten half the cake!! Help!

imasinger

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 4:03 am
I made it, too, and everyone loved it! The cocoa adds a nice touch. Thank you, and please thank your mom for me, too. Shana tova!

Depressed

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 7:01 am
Thanks going to try it now...

AZmom09

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 1:22 am
Bumping this up. Its so good, can't wait to make it!!

balibusta

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 7:35 am
You mix by hand??

AZmom09

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 7:41 am
Yes. With a whisk I think.... Its very easy.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 09 2011, 4:52 pm
Just wanted to announce that this truly is the best and easiest honey cake out there!

Thank you so much! We had incredibly moist and ever so delicious honey cake to break our YK fast on! And we didn't even have to freeze it first to bring out the moisture in the cake Smile

AZmom09

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 2:25 am
Can't wait to make this soon!!

exhausted

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 2:50 am
Anyone tried this cake with ww flour?

Roots

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 6:04 am
this has good reviews, I think im gonna try it

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 6:15 am
Is this an airy or a heavy cake?

spinkles

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 8:54 am
Thank you for the recipe. I made it today. The texture is very light and tender.

I didn't put the cocoa in, and I subbed Ceres mango juice for the coffee.

I like the cake's texture but I think I prefer a honey cake with more spices in it. I think next time I'd put in more cinnamon, and add some cloves. But honey cake flavors always get stronger after a couple of days, so maybe it doesn't really need more spices. I'll report back after it's matured, iy"H.

Thanks again for the recipe! It was easy and has a great texture!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 8:23 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Is this an airy or a heavy cake?
It's very light and moist.
Seriously the best honey cake - we enjoy it during the year too.

Sherri

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 8:27 pm
How different is it than this one? http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 8:31 pm
Sherri wrote:
How different is it than this one? http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0
This is more moist and has a lighter texture. I used to make the other one until I discovered AZ's recipe Smile

spinkles

Post Mon, Sep 03 2012, 9:43 am
I tasted it today after letting it sit for 24 hours. It's delicious! This is now my go-to honey cake when I want a classic honey cake.

I also made an adaptation of Marcy Goldman's "majestic and moist" honey cake to see which I liked better. I tasted them both today after their flavors had developed for 24 hours. (Note: I omitted the allspice in Marcy's recipe, because it's too peppery, and subbed Ceres mango juice for the coffee, orange juice, and alcohol).

My family loved them both and couldn't pick a favorite. The honey cake from this thread has a rich honey flavor and a great traditional taste. It's tender and delicious. The flavors deepen if you let it sit a day or so. I don't think I'll add more spices next time, because I really like how you can taste that honey flavor. The Marcy Goldman one tastes like a spice cake. You can't really taste the honey. But it's absolutely delicious. When it comes out of the oven it just tastes like cinnamon, but if you wait a day or two, the flavors become complex and wonderful.

So, depending on which kind of honey cake you like, these two recipes are both excellent.

AlwaysThinking

Post Mon, Sep 03 2012, 9:52 am
Will freezing it make it better, worse...? If I made it now I'm assuming it wouldn't last until RH?

spinkles

Post Mon, Sep 03 2012, 9:57 am
I like to let my honey cakes sit out for two days to develop the flavors (wrapped tightly), and then I freeze them (wrapped in plastic wrap, then foil, then put in a freezer bag and the air squeezed out). They're great. Just take them out a few hours before you want to serve them. (Or maybe a few hours earlier if you make bundt cakes rather than loaf cakes, I don't know.)
Page 1 of 11   1  2  3  9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus