Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How long would you expect a tznius swim dress to last?

Liba

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 8:47 am
I bought my girls swim dresses the beginning of last summer. Our pool wasn't up most of the summer since we were in chu"l, so they didn't get much use. This summer they still fit, but the dress of my daughter that had weekly swimming lessons for several months (12 lessons?) is stretched to beyond her feet, from mid calf. The other girls dresses are stretching out before my eyes as well.

They didn't even get a full summer worth of wear. One of them dripped bright pink water every time I got wet as well until it finally faded from a nice dark pink to a washed out color.

I never expected this of an item that cost me $50 (each!).

I emailed the company, but would should I expect?

If they don't reply and help resolve this (and I won't be happy with anything less than a refund or replacement) I am halachikly allowed to tell anyone who I know is considering buying these swim dresses. Should I tell them that I am involved here and the conversation comes up often? I just searched back and found several such threads and am feeling bad I missed them and didn't warn people...

I have pictures I can share, the dresses are past my girls feet...

Liba

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 9:00 am

This is a size 14 swim dress which I bought for my daughter last summer. I was told it was the right size for her, though she was (and is) a size 16/18. It should not be too big. When we bought it the swim dress was mid calf and the sleeves 3/4 length.

I don't have a great picture of it from last summer, but here is the one I could find.

Rodent

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 9:08 am
In my experience it lasted 2 years of limited wear tops and had the same extreme stretching as that. I think there are a few reasons. Possibly not chlorine resistant lycra though it may be, mine was but still did it eventually. If it was leaking colour though I would have my doubts. Mine was thinner than the good swimwear you can buy though so not sure it was strong enough for the sort of use it was getting. The sheer weight of the water in such a garment -- when you get out of the pool it is HEAVY and I'm pretty sure that is what did most of the damage with mine.

In the end I bought a rash vest, added some extra length to the sleeves and made my own skirt to go with it. Cheaper and easier for me than ordering another one.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 11:12 am
The shvim kleid they sell here in the us don't stretch. My sister in law has hers for more than 20 years. From before she got married.

It should last and be able to be passed down from one kid to the next not stretch out and drip colors in the pool. It's meant to go in water. If it's not water tested then it's of poor quality.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 11:19 am
my aqua modesta swim dresses have lasted several years and have not stretched at all.

Liba

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 11:30 am
It is from the US...

alpidarkomama

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 12:03 pm
WOW! I bought one from Aqua Modesta, and it's still going strong after 3 very heavy-use seasons (the kids swim 1-3x/day most days from April to October). We have a new one for oldest DD from Under Cover Waterwear that we love even more. It would be good to find out if this is typical of their swim dresses, or an anomaly. OY!

Liba

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 2:11 pm
They called, the pink running/fading was a known issue so they are sending me a new one IY"H and once that get that one back and see the stretching they will be in touch about the other two.

As much as they are stretched out and a bit insane, the girls still find them more comfortable to swim in than their nightgowns. Our pool is up in our backyard and one of the neighbors boys likes to hang out his window and bother them, so they won't swim without a cover.

All in all, I am pretty impressed with their response so far.

alpidarkomama

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 5:43 pm
So nice to hear they're going to take care of it!

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 1:41 am
Wow I've had a princess modesta for about 4 years now, no stretching at all. The color did fade from jet black to a dark purple, but it was a known issue (she got a bad batch) and because of that I paid a lot less for the suit. Hasn't affected the function at all, and if I didn't tell you it was faded you would have just assumed it was dark purple / light purple instead of black / light purple.

4Sisters

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 4:36 pm
I wonder if it's from the same company I bought my dd's one from. She called from camp to say it's so stretched out it's trapping her feet when she swims and is a health hazard! I just bought it in the spring, although she does swim a fair bit.

I'm going to look into Aqua Modesta, since others say that theirs have lasted. Hopefully it will be worth the extra cost (not that this "less expensive" one I bought was cheap....)

mommyof6

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 4:52 pm
Rodent that's brilliant!!! My swimming top stretched out after 1 year (skirt did better). Now I'm going to buy a regular swim shirt at Target for under $20. and make my own sleeves from my stretched out ones. Thanks for the idea.

4Sisters

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 8:26 pm
Did you ever send yours back to the company, Liba?

I really need to send dd's back. We had a water fight the other day and her swim dress (same company as Liba's) got stretched to the group just by being spritzed with water pistols. It's ridiculous and I'm very sorry I wasted my $ with this company....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics