Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Making meal for new mom- needs to be healthy

amother

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 2:52 pm
they requested no white anything... (wheat, rice, potatoes, etc)

want to send them a healthy nutritious meal that will be appreciated by both parents and 2 kids (under 5)

But I dont want any major patchke types of food and I dont want to have to buy a whole package of whole wheat pasta or brown rice and then have to figure out what to do with it myself...

any ideas? (if I get one pack of whole wheat pasta I would make them the whole thing but what other foods should I do?

yamz

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 4:00 pm
Are you looking for a meat or dairy meal? What about roasted sweet potatoes? You just buy as many as you need. You can serve them with chicken and green beans. (Buy frozen green beans for less work).

If you specifically want to make pasta, what about baked ziti? That's pretty simple. You can serve it with a salad or just cut up vegetables.

In either case, you can add a soup if it's not too much trouble.

If you want to send dessert, you can give them cut up melon and grapes.
Hope this helps.

spinkles

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 8:09 pm
Quinoa is really easy to make. It cooks exactly like white rice. Only thing different is to make sure you rinse it like four times, really well, so there's no bitter taste.

You could do quinoa, roasted or grilled chicken, and salad. You could make soup too if you wanted.

nyer1

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 8:22 pm
Recently I made for a family, grilled teriyaki chicken, steamed asparagus with spices and baked garlic sweet potato fries... They said it was a big hit with their whole family

chatouli

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 9:05 pm
This is a meal that can be made very quickly abd is healthy: Salmon teriyaki (soy vey mixed with honey and a tsp of lemon juice baked at 350 for half an hour uncovered), oven baked brown rice, and steamed carrots. If mom is not nursing maybe send broccoli instead of carrots. (or send both) I always try to avoid gassy vegetables in meals for nursing moms. Fruit for dessert.

To make the brown rice:
One cup brown rice
2 and a half cups water
Can of mushrooms, drained
Tablespoon olive oil
A few sprinkles dried parsley
Tablespoon onion powder
Scant quarter cup soy sauce

Mix together in disposable tin. Cover tightly. Bake at 350 for one hour.

spring13

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 9:15 pm
What about some kind of soup and salad? Lentil soup or minestrone (just skip the noodles or get some whole wheat) are nice and filling, and you can pair them with a big salad and some whole wheat pita (or a baguette, if you can get those!). I've also done veggie soup with tuna croquettes.

de_goldy

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 9:55 pm
I would do baked shnitzel, salad, sliced baked sweet potatoes and green beans.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 9:55 pm
Buy grain etc from bulk bins. You can buy just what U need However it wouldn't hurt u to eat whole grains sometomes

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 11:26 pm
Make a whole wheat pie crust and then make chicken pot pie. Or you can make a shepherd's pie...

amother

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 11:57 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
Or you can make a shepherd's pie...

That calls for potatoes.

exhausted

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 12:03 am
You can make shepherds pie with sweet potatoes. There was a recipe in Binah a few years ago. It was delicious!

bananasplit

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 12:08 am
exhausted wrote:
You can make shepherds pie with sweet potatoes. There was a recipe in Binah a few years ago. It was delicious!

Sounds yum! Do you have the recipe?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 12:10 am
amother wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:
Or you can make a shepherd's pie...

That calls for potatoes.

Use sweet potatoes, pumpkin or butternut squash. Turnips or cauliflower are also a good substitutes have stronger flavors.

exhausted

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 12:11 am
I was worried someone would ask.;-) No I don't. But it was simply replacing the regular potatoes with sweet potatoes.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 12:47 am
Do a search. greeneyes posted a shepherd's pie made w sweet potatoes.

sensitiveima

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 4:26 am
I often recommend to mothers that they put wheat germ and ground flax seed in their food (yogurt, hamburgers, etc.) because they are full of nutrients. You can use them with bread crumbs/matza meal. There are also mixtures of these types of ingredients that are sold in health food stores.
Maybe buy some for the mother or just cook with them and tell her about it.

ray family

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 5:25 am
I would make chicken or fish, brown rice or quinoa, and a veg. plus a salad

amother

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 1:39 pm
OP here

Thanks for the suggestions. breaded chicken (schnitzel) wouldnt really work cause its bread... unless they sell whole wheat bread crumbs...

I like chicken idea. Maybe ill do grilled chicken and salad or a chicken/veggie stir fry. is there a healthier type of barley or is pearl barley it. if so then maybe ill make a mushroom barely soup too. I find that pretty filling....

or (idea popped in head) I sometimes make mush barely stew with meat chunks in it. add a salad and good to go? is that nutritious enough for a new mother?

I have a few more days to decide for sure. which do you think is healthiest? (they are very into health and I dont want to send a meal thats totally lacking a major food group etc) thanks again

amother

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 1:41 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
You can buy just what U need However it wouldn't hurt u to eat whole grains sometomes

it wont hurt but none of us like the taste.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking