Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is it ok to buy a car through Craigslist?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 12:17 am
Is this a bad idea? Can I trust the seller?
Has anyone here done this?

OR does anyone else know of a cheap car/minivan for sale?

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 12:22 am
if the deal seems too good to be true then it probably is. assume its a scam. buying a used car especially not from a dealer is a very tricky business.

will he let you bring it to your own mechanic before buying? if yes then it might be worth a try. if not then dont expect to get anything roadworthy.

also please make sure the car can pass your state inspection. I know of pple who bought cars out of state or from a private person- not a dealer and then had to spend a few thousand making sure it could pass inspection.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 12:43 am
How cheap?

fiddle

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 1:32 am
yes. but check http://www.carfax.com/entry.cfx for any car. its worth the few dollars.

ElTam

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 9:51 am
We sold a car on Craigslist when we had our third child and needed a minivan. We let the guy take it to a mechanic have it checked out. We were also very open with problems the car had. I think if you are smart and do you your research on buying a car through a private party, get the carfacts report that the other poster mentioned, it can work out.

If you can, look for someone who is the original owner. I think that's the best. And ask why they are selling the car. I would be more likely to buy a car from someone making aliyah, or who had a change in family size, or something like that, than someone who is just selling it stam. I would be worried they were trying to get rid of a clunker.

spring13

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 9:57 am
Insist on having it checked by your own mechanic, and look into the title and so on yourself - make sure the person selling it to you is the legal owner.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 9:58 am
Sure, we do it all the time. Make sure the car has a clean title. Bring someone who really knows cars to check it out and take it for a spin. Bring it to a mechanic you know and trust before committing. Watch out for fees if you're buying from a dealer. Most of all, if the personal selling it seems very shady or just plain nasty, walk away.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 10:09 am
Depends on what state you live in. If NY you are probably better with a dealer. My husband is really good with cars. We are in the process of purchasing a mechanics shop. He never buys any of our cars from a private individual except once. He knows the guy and the way he maintains cars and he drove the car months before he purchased.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 10:16 am
I wouldnt, I know a couple ppl who got screwed by buying a car on there. There are MANY scams.

MimiMommy

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 7:34 pm
I bought a car on Craigslist from a private party. Very pleasant transaction, the guy told me everything I needed to know including any problems it had. The car lasted 6 years until I upgraded.

shanie5

Post Sat, Sep 15 2012, 11:44 pm
The car I am driving now I bought on craigslist. I was not able to bring it to my mechanic as it was an hour away from where I live. But I did my research, asked lots of questions, and was able to get the car for over $800 less than its listed blue book value.

My mechanic told me I did very well.

So it is possible to buy one thru craigslist, but make sure to check it out well beforehand.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 16 2012, 1:19 am
Thank you everyone. I will take it all into consideration.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics