Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Sheitel clips in airport security

tbird

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 12:43 pm
I usually just wear a hat or scarf when flying (which I do not do often). This time, I would like to wear my sheitel. Will the sheitel clips set off the metal detectors at airport security?

Thanks!

mommy100

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 12:48 pm
has never been a problem for me

anotherima

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 12:49 pm
I have gone through security wearing a wig without a problem.

GramaNewYork

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 12:58 pm
I have found it more of a problem to wear a hat because they ask me to remove it and I have to explain to them that I cannot for religious reasons. It is slow and annoying. If the sheitel does cause a beep (most often it does not but you never know how sensitive the detector is), they just scan me again once or twice with a wand and let me pass.

waterbottle

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 1:00 pm
The clips in the sheitel have never gone off, but the barrettes that I wore under my sheitel have gone off before. If you are wearing a scarf they will most likely need to pat you down during the security check.

acccdac

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 1:01 pm
my sheitle clips dont set off the detectors, it's my hair clips that do it.

I usually wear 2 sliver clips in my hair (the Goody, long silver ones). When I fly I make my hair with rubber bands only, knowing that I may have a bump under my sheitle and knowing that they'll hold my hair in place for just a little bit of time. After I go through security I go to the bathroom and redo my hair, so it's more secure.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 1:02 pm
I went through a body scan and when I came out they felt up my head.

freidasima

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 1:05 pm
Its any good metal detector that causes problems, not only while flying. And especially with the metal barettes in one's hair under the sheitl.

I'm in and out of the major government office because of my job and everyone has to go through she same security entering the building including the metal detector and every single time I have to remove the barette under the sheitl and come out of the other side disheveled. It's a total pain as there is no privacy and the first thing I have to do when I enter the building is go to the ladies room, pin up my hair and fix my sheitl. It's a running joke already that major decisions can't get voted on fast as "Freidasima is still fixing her sheitl ".

In short, the barette will probably set off the metal detectors

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 1:06 pm
I regularly go through a metal detector at work and I find that the sheital on its own does not set off the detector but when worn with shoes with metal in them, it accumulates to make me beep. If its the only metal you have on, I would not worry.

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 1:24 pm
freidasima wrote:
Its any good metal detector that causes problems, not only while flying. And especially with the metal barettes in one's hair under the sheitl.

I'm in and out of the major government office because of my job and everyone has to go through she same security entering the building including the metal detector and every single time I have to remove the barette under the sheitl and come out of the other side disheveled. It's a total pain as there is no privacy and the first thing I have to do when I enter the building is go to the ladies room, pin up my hair and fix my sheitl. It's a running joke already that major decisions can't get voted on fast as "Freidasima is still fixing her sheitl ".

FS I work in hadassa and I don't go through security, well I d go through the metal detector but I'm not checked, they know me and I'm wearing my hadassa tag......besides I was checked out by security before I started working so if I beep it doesn't matter and I go through bags and all!!

yo'ma

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 1:28 pm
freidasima wrote:

The metal detectors in the states always go off with me, but not in Argentina. They're not as strong/good here, I guess.

freidasima

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 1:45 pm
Miriamnechama what you wrote holds true for hospitals but not for the Prime Minister's office. There EVERYONE has to go through the metal detector except the PM himself and everything gets checked always for obvious reasons, tags notwithstanding. That's the office I meant.

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 1:47 pm
freidasima wrote:
Miriamnechama what you wrote holds true for hospitals but not for the Prime Minister's office. There EVERYONE has to go through the metal detector except the PM himself and everything gets checked always for obvious reasons, tags notwithstanding. That's the office I meant.

aha

NonnaDev

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 2:37 pm

Hi,

My sheitel clips have never 'gone off'; but I do inform the security that I am wearing a 'hair piece' and that it contains clips in several places.

I hope this assuages your concerns.

~Nonna Flower

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 3:22 pm
I was once "ringing" and they told me it's from my head.
So they felt my head up and down and underneathe my sheitel to feel all the clips there.
I was very calm knowing that I have nothing illegal on me!

They certainly looked like they were used to this.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 3:57 pm
IMHopinion wrote:
I was once "ringing" and they told me it's from my head.
So they felt my head up and down and underneathe my sheitel to feel all the clips there.
I was very calm knowing that I have nothing illegal on me!

They certainly looked like they were used to this.

I know I sure am. I always beep and then I get frisked.

Happy18

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 6:46 pm
I've never had an issue, but I pin up my hair underneath with bobby pins so that may make a difference.

abby1776

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 6:49 pm
Some sheitel clips are made from plastic - if you go to your sheitel macher, maybe she can replace the metal ones with plastic - its a quick sewing job. You could probably do it yourself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics